Matching BK sub for BX6 Floorstanders

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SamDude, Jul 2, 2015.

1. SamDude

SamDude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    It's been a while since I've visited these parts...

I recently bought a pair of Monitor Audio BX6 Floorstanders (walnut) from AV Online.
    I know I can buy the matching BXW10 and Mrs Sam would be happy with that (perfect match).

However, I've been looking at the BK Gemini 2 and would rather buy this. I've been in touch with Barry at BK and he kindly sent me a walnut veneer sample to check/compare the colour match.

As we kind of expected, the photos of the BX6 and Gemini2 appear to be similar - but the actual samples are quite different. I've attached a photo of the BK sample (left), the top of the BX6 (right) and the stock photo of the BX6 (inset).

Barry will be sending me a couple of darker shade samples - very kindly again, and hopefully we will have a closer match.

Am I asking too much? or does anyone know if (and which) walnut veneer would match the BX6 the closest?

Attached Files:

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I would be more concerened about a gemini being the lowest model in the range. I'd step upto XLS200.

That will be plenty for music, but for movies, you may want to get a better sub than the xls200. Depending on room size.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    My sub is a completely different colour to the main speakers.
    Instead of trying to match the colour why not go for a contrasting colour instead?

4. SamDude

SamDude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - my alternative plan is to go for the black finish if a suitable walnut is not available.
    At least it'll match the TV and Xbox :D

Thanks also for the XLS200 suggestion. In terms of specification difference, what does the £100 extra buy me?

It may not show, but I've only replaced my Sony all-in-one 5.1 setup recently after buying the BX6's and a Sony DN1050 on a bored afternoon...

5. SamDude

SamDude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've taken both of your suggestions and plumped for the XLS200-DF Mk2. In black.

:thumbsup:

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Sounds like a good choice. Always worth buying the best sub you can since it will then last several speaker upgrades so save money in the long run.