1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matching A/V Receiver to KEF Q Series

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NPM108, Dec 15, 2004.

1. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've read that with certain A/V Receivers you have to be carefull which speakers you use, as some don't sound very good. Heard I think that Yamaha are one of them, however i have been unable to find a reference list.

Perhaps a sticky showing Speaker Brand/Series against Amp brands might be a good idea.

In any case I am looking for a 7.1 a/v receiver to go with KEF Q series (Q7, Q9c, Q2ds) and was looking at the Denon 2105/2805, Marantz SR5500/7500 and the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE and perhaps something from Pioneer

These are the brands I can get here in Malta, and seem to have good reviews, any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Current amp is a Yamaha 630RDS in a fairly large room 46m2 open plan, and currently have a problem as just moved in so with no furniture sound is a bit tinny.

Thanks,

Nick

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    There's one or two of us on here with the Q series and Yamaha 750 combo, myself included. No problems to report here. The speakers and amp seem to go very well together indeed.

3. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Malabbey, good to know, I will try and find the price locally, though I was tempted to look at Denon as I've never owned one!!

But its good to know that the 750 is working well with the Q series setup.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I too own the Q series and Yamaha 750 amp combo. Goes very well imo.

Remember this is an amp only (i.e. no radio) if a tuner is important to you then maybe consoder some of the Denon models. The Denon 2805 would also go quite well, as it is also a 'warm' amp.

5. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slight difference, but I've recently added Kef Ref 203's and 202c to my current Denon AVC-10SE. I was expecting a reasonable improvement compared to my old Acoustic Research speakers, but didn't realise the improvement would be so significant! The AVC-10SE is an excellent amp but I think the Kef Refs now deserve even better amplification; I'm researching as I type...

BTW, I've got M&K rears and an M&K sub (which are awesome and I highly recommend). So basically, what I'm trying to say is that my Kefs go nicely with my Denon.

6. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all, unfortunately the Denon 2805 is not available locally so looks like am gonna have to order it from the UK!!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    If you're getting it from abroad, you may be able to source it cheaper from Germany.

8. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar, thanks, in fact the Denon distibutor here told me he gets them from Germany, which is strange and sparked my interest as you said I may be able to get it cheaper from Germany.

What's the deal with Germany then for Denon, and is there some place you recommend?

Thanks
    Nick

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Try Technik Direkt. Click here