Match of the Day on BBC HD

Sebastalona

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Has this ever been done? If not, why??

No not seen Match Of The Day in HD, BBC very slow with Sport in HD, Even the Open was not in HD this year. Will be interesting to see if Grad Prix is in HD. ?

AFAIK its been confirmed that F1 will not be in HD this year, but who knows for next.

As for MOTD my feeling is that it is to do with the number of HD cameras OB units that it has available, and BBC simply dont have the resources to do it at the moment. But thats just my guess.

Has this ever been done? If not, why??

No.

Currently the BBC doesn't have any HD enabled studios suitable for Match of the Day. All three HD studios at Television Centre are large with audience seating.

Sports presentation comes from the smaller studio 5, which hasn't been converted to HD yet.

BBC pictures for MOTD come from Sky so most are in HD as said bbc studios dont do HD

Not all Premier League games are in HD so that is (one of the reasons) why MOTD and Football First are SD only...along with the BBC's lack of HD studio's.

Someone mentions the Open I think it may be HD only because an ABC (US) employee said that Beeb are getting an HD truck for this year.

They (ABC) will move in to this truck...

YouTube - 2008 British Open TV Truck CTV OB10

That's what annoys me about BBC HD really... That shows like MOTD and Dr Who aren't aired on the channel.

I realise that neither of those shows are currently presented in HD, but it's still very irritating to have to put up with the horrific compression artefacts visible on the SD BBC channels.

I mean, there was all that build up for the Dr Who finale, and yet people with massive LCD screens will have no doubt been subjected to a comparatively sub-par picture (with no alternative... as BBC HD was probably showing some random repeat of something in HD)...

I love Channel 4HD for instance... That's the way to do it IMO.

Of course, there are some shows filmed in HD that aren't on BBC 1, and I do enjoy the documentaries and other things shown on BBC HD, so I dunnno... Maybe the BBC should have more than one HD channel? I certainly feel like the current way of doing things isn't optimal...

As said before, Nyquil Driver, BBC aren't allowed to show upscaled stuff becuase the Trust has specifically told them they can't. You shouldn't be complaining and moaning to the BBC but to the trust instead. It is them who stopped the BBC from doing the same thing as Channel 4 HD does.
Would be interesting though to find out if it is a rights issue why they can't show MOTD in HD or not. They do have loads of studios they could use to film in HD (they already do for those reality TV music stuff they put out). After all, everything seems to be about rights these days (which is why we can't wathc MOTD on iPlayer).

Would be interesting though to find out if it is a rights issue why they can't show MOTD in HD or not. They do have loads of studios they could use to film in HD (they already do for those reality TV music stuff they put out). After all, everything seems to be about rights these days (which is why we can't wathc MOTD on iPlayer).

It's not a rights issue. The three HD enabled studios at Television Centre are large with audience seating. They are not suitable for MOTD.

The smaller studio that BBC Sport use is not HD enabled. In 2011, BBC Sport are moving to new studios in Manchester, which are being built for HD. Expect MOTD in HD then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom