Match of the Day in HD?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Liquid101, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Just wondered if MOTD will be in HD? Obviously Sky will filming them in HD - and the BBC have access to this.. would make sense wouldn't it?

Oh well - here's hoping :rolleyes:

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    I'd think so. BBC might already be filming MOTD in HD, as the PQ on that usually looks v. good.

And lets hope BBC win the highlights rights for 2007+

3. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The BBC dont film the football. Sky and sub contractors do and then they provide the feed to the BBC. Can you imagine if every tv station had camera's at the grounds, there would be no room for fans.

So the good news is, it will be HD because Sky have been filming in HD since the start of the season.

4. alpit

alpit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do Sky film every prem. match at the weekend on HD cameras then? It seems they would need alot of cameras and ob facilities to do that.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Interesting question.
    Mind you sometime there are only 5 or 6 matches a day so that wouldn't be too much of a problem but it would cost money and SKY may not consider it worthwhile if they only show 3 or 4 games a week.

Of course then we have the issue of the 2007+ PL contract in which broadcasters who do not support HD or even 16:9 get their hands on the games! Wouldn't it be nice if the PL made HD coverage a pre-requisite for bidding for the rights, the BBC would then have a chance and it may encourage ITV to enter the HD market.

6. jay_edinburgh

jay_edinburgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt that the BBC or Sky have the money to put HD cameras at every single premiership game, think how many HD cameras they would need...

7. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I seriously doubt it

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Well they have been filming the premiership in HD for some time.
    I don't suppose it has been every match - perhaps just the live ones.
    But you would expect a gradual ramp up this season as equipment gets upgraded, and the system is tested to iron out the bugs, ready for a full launch starting next season

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Back in January, Sky said it already had five new HD outside broadcast rigs just for the premiership costing £3.5million each.
    Each game has up to 28 HD cameras positioned around the pitch.

One might expect that by the time of the next season they will have enough gear in place to cover every premiership match live with every camera in HD.

And hence why Sky have to recover the cost somewhere.
    And to think people expect HD to be free.:rolleyes:

10. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah but MOTD would mean the BBC would have to pay for the bandwidth etc and they've said no such thing about including MOTD in their HD trial so until they run a full service, I seriously doubt it.

11. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I think it is also easy to imagine Sky wanting to keep it to themselves for competitive advantage for a little while at least.

For those with HD boxes, the premiership match highlights on Saturday night and Sunday are going to be much more attractive than watching an SD MOTD.

12. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    The bandwidth for Gary's ears alone would wipe out the entire satellite wouldn't it? :devil:

13. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Since January, all live broadcast Sky premiership games have been filmed in HD & digital surround. This does not include the "football first" games. I imagine when the next season begins, Sky will have invested in more HD equipment (as the price will no doubt come down as the tehcnology becomes more marketable).

Therefore, in theory, when next season starts IF motd intends to broadcast in HD, it should be able to do so with all HD footage.

14. IanMerseyside

IanMerseyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would like to see ITV kept as far away from premiership football as possible. They still can't manage to cover all the Champions League games in widscreen so I can't imagine them getting anywhere near HD broadcasts. Keep all the football on Sky and BBC!

15. Ploppy

Ploppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    most people dont like football::lesson:

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

To be fair to ITV they have no control over the source material from the host broadcaster on away games.
    As for HD yes if the Premier League are not prepared to make HD broadcasting a requirment for bidding for a package then it looks like at least some percentage of live games will stop being offered in HD and go back to 16:9 SD or god forbid 4:3 depending upon who ends up with the packages.

17. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    A Sky HD outside broadcast truck has been present at the vast majority of Wigan Premiership games this season, even those not on live TV.

18. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think you will find that all away champion league games are in 4:3 on Sky as are all Spanish league games. Its just that Sky Stretch the picture unlike ITV.

To be honest the majority on Sky Sports not filmed in the UK is in 4:3

As for MOTD. I think its unlikely you will see it in HD for the trial. The BBC have said major sport events will be used for the trial so we may see FA cup games FA cup final etc. but as broadcasts will only average about 1-2 hours a day I doubt stuff like MOTD will be available. The BBC may trial it a 1 or 2 times but doubt you will see it every week.

As for Premiership rights. It would probably be better if the BBC got some of it but I think what is more important is that part of it is available for Free. As not everyone can afford Sky or Cable.

19. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Why are you reading a thread titled match of the Day in HD then ??

20. sweezely

sweezely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I seriously hope ITV don't get anywhere near the football. After what they did with the league games only an idiot would consider even giving them highlights, let alone actual live matches.

To be honest, I'll be sad to see Sky lose the monopoly on live games. Their coverage has always been excellent, despite the price.

21. [Slip]

[Slip]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Completely agreed, over priced they maybe but the presentation is excellent as well as the content. Always get a full run down of the teams and analysis along with stats etc

BBC are poor in comparison imo

22. Prime

Prime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    All domestic games are in widescreen, in the games wher it is not, that is due to them taking the video feed from the host country who do not do the 16:9, for once that's not ITV's fault, sky have the same issues on their coverage.

23. KIOSKMAN

KIOSKMAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just so you understand, SKY do not have any OB trucks or facilities for recording anything in HD. Private companies, including Carlton 021 are sub contracted for this, including Premiership Plus coverage, 021 work for SKY and ITV. BBC do have OB Trucks and provide their output for SKY at pre agreed matches, Other sub contactors also provide this service including Rental companies who own the HD cameras and rent them eack weekend to the BBC and others. Because SKY own the rights to coverage they arrange the provision of facilities and equipment through various independent suppliers. There are enougth camera VTRs at the moment and Hire/facilities companies are adding every day to the inventory HD equipment.

The new BBC HD test channel on SKY and Telewest/NTL and Freeview in London will no doubt show Match of the day each week. As will Fotball first on Sky Sports HD1 each saturday.

We are in for a treat come the end of August (next season)

24. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Sorry to correct you kioskman but its actually Visions and Telegenic that cover all the live premiership matches for sky.
    Below is a list of companies that provide ob facilities for different sports
    Football- Visions/Telegenic
    Rugby Union-Telegenic
    Cricket-CTV
    Elite League speedway-Scanners
    Greyhounds-Arena Tv
    Darts-Bowtie
    Rugby League-Telegenic
    With all ob links being done by BT
    All the above sports and companies are now fully hd ready all set for launch with the Rugby union been recorded in said format all season and the premiership since christmas.
    I have seen the football,rugby and speedway in hd so far and the difference is amazing well worth the extra i feel especially if you have good av setup.
    Just a note for footy fans the interactive options will only be in sd until a few problems are sorted.