1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mastodon - Leviathan

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Mar 25, 2005.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im going to have to stop getting excited by this album, Im feeling like I really, really should'nt like it. For a start its got pretty crap vocals and its just a pastiche of other bands.........Take a heavy dose of King Crimson, mix with early Metallica / Iron Maiden and add some Thin Lizzy. No, Im not joking there's even some southern style guitar solo's on here.

This is'nt one of these albums that I would normally warm to, fer chrissakes theres no punk, Im back in the land of my early HM inspired days.

But it starts to get to me, there is something incredibly satifying about this album. Its sort of filling, its really difficult to explain ,as one side of me wants to put on rubber gloves and put it straight in the bin, but then I want more, its like some drug, just like the guy from the Pot Noodle advert.

Maybe you will get this, maybe not. But, if you were into King Crimson in the early days and wondered why they did'nt make more songs like 21st Century Schizoid man and every time you listen to Larks Tongues you really love the heavy bits, but get totally bored during those long instrumental tracks that consist of a bit of wailing violin and the odd drum beat.

Now go forward a bit more, Thin Lizzy, admit it, you wanted to be in that band, you lapped up 'Boys are Back in Town', bopped around with a microphone to 'dancing in the moonlight' and air guitared like hell to 'Whisky in the Jar', you should'nt of done it, if you were a serious prog head, but you did.

But then Iron Maiden arrived and the NWOHM began, all that semi-classical early music and riffing, from 'number of the beast', 'Run to the Hills' etc. Then Metallica took the reins and welded some punk rock fusion to heavy' heavy riffing.

All these bands made you want more, what would Phil Lynott sound like if only he could add a bit more variations to Lizzy, why did'nt KC stick to the heavy side, could'nt there be some more tempo changes to Metallica.

Well, thanks to the miracle of modern science, you can have it all ways. I give you Mastodon, one of the stupidest names for a band I have heard since we were trying to pick names for our bands at school. Naff vocals as well (although there are a couple of tracks that are better and seem to consist of more intelligible Stoner Rock lyrics.)

I think this might be the thinking mans 'Darkness', who knows, but I tell you, every time I play this album, it just sucks me in and I'm lost in a world of super fast, mad as a frog drumming, loads of riffs and hooks and weird guitar work. It should'nt work but it does.

I heard a sampler and gave it 5/10, two week ago I gave it 7/10, now its up to 9............

2. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmm I'm not as blown away by it as you are. I was listening to it the other day, and thought it was solid, nothing more. Bits of it are sublime, I have to admit. But the vocals are a bit of a let down. That said the music is really good: good riffs, good rhythm, good shifts and neat little bits of guitar ****ery....

Overall I would give it a 6 out of 10. Compared to other stuff about today, it is miles above the majority. But compared to the likes of Maiden or Metallica, I'd take one of their albums any day.

Just a few brief thoughts :rolleyes:

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Yes, I was the same TBH, but its one of those long term listeners. I think its better than Maiden or Metallica (and Im sure you can tell by my Avatar where my interests lie). Interesting that you say 'solid' as that was my first impression, but its strange, like the antithesis of bands like Husker and MBV (you listen to the album a few times before the mash of sound turns into something that actually sounds melodic). Instead it sounds coherent and obvious, then it does'nt, it sort of breaks down, like the framework of the music is composed of Metallica and interlaced with Thin Lizzy, then its all covered in King Crimson jazz inspired weirdness. Concentrate on the drumming really hard and it goes crazy.

And your quite correct about the vocals, no argument from me, in the main they suck although I quite like the stoner / Nirvana influenced style on two tracks. Maynard Keenan come and show them how its done .

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Mastodon are just fantastic. The vocals are their own style and it goes perfectly and is part of Mastodon. Frankly I was amazed to see them on the front of Kerrang, not really a metal magazine anymore but that's another subject altogether.

Check out Remission as well, that is also a fantastic album :) Also go see them live, they are technically brilliant and I don't think anyone put a note wrong through the whole set when I saw them at Corporation in Sheffield. The bassist/singer is astounding, haven't seen playing like that since Cliff Burton.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    They dont appear to be touring, otherwise I would. Might invest in their prevous effort.

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    They just finished a UK tour a few weeks ago. They're playing Download this year too :)

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :( not a big fan of festivals TBH, I will wait until they do some indoor gigs.