masthead amp NIGHTMARE!!

ficko

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks,

i hope somebody can shed some light on this for me. i have 4 tv's, one connected to virgin media and the other three are connected via a splitter and a 26db masthead amp in the loft to a digital aerial. 2 of the 3 are analogue crt's and the other is a 17" flat panel with freeview.

recently we found that the picture was getting worse than normal, so i unclipped the masthead amp power supply (which felt very warm) and just made sure the co-ax connection was ok, which it wasn't so i connected it correctly and snapped the back back on. i tried the psu in a different room and by now it wasn't working at all about 2-3 hours later we noticed a burning smell coming from the psu and the case was starting to go soft so of course i disconnected. i bought a new psu from maplin and tried that. nothing. just interference. went into the loft, disconnected the masthead amp and fitted the aerial directly to the splitter. nothing, not even a weak signal. tried a portable aerial and although it could find some channels they were extremely poor reception

anybody have any suggestions? is there anyway the tv's could have gotten damaged by the overheated supply or could there be a simple solution i could give a go?

desperation setting in :suicide: cheers :)

anybody have any suggestions? is there anyway the tv's could have gotten damaged by the overheated supply

No, unlikely.
I don't know your technical ability but is there a chance you put a short on the coax lead leading to the amp...that could cause the psu to overheat.
Failing that I think the amp is faulty and you'll need to replace it.

thanks jaycee. would that explain why the tv's still didn't work when i removed the amp and connected the aerial to the splitter direct (rather than aerial to amp to splitter)? how could i check this/rectify it?

thanks jaycee. would that explain why the tv's still didn't work when i removed the amp and connected the aerial to the splitter direct (rather than aerial to amp to splitter)? how could i check this/rectify it?

The reason you didn't get a good signal is because you probably have a weak signal...hence the need for a masthead amp.
The only way you can rectify it is as I suggested...a new amp.

Still sounds like a short in your down lead. This would explain the power supply problem and the complete lack of of signal.

cheers mike. assuming it is a short, how could this be fixed?

cheers mike. assuming it is a short, how could this be fixed?

You need to physically examine the whole cable length starting at the easiest bits...the ends...looking for the inner core touching the braid...or possibly a nail through it or a break in the insulation somewhere.

thanks again guys. aerial dude is coming round tuesday. don't want to make matters worse :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom