Quantcast

Masters of the Air (AppleTV) Hanks, Spielberg - BoB/WWII Saga Part 3

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Quick heads up, HBO heads Michael Lombardo and Richard Plepler revealed that they are considering a new third miniseries.

One that would follow the aerial battles in the Pacific. Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks would likely be back as producers. I was not too keen on the second series, but a third is better than not having BoB back.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Didn't enjoy the pacific at all when it first ran but could be tempted to try again on bluray. The third season sounds pretty ambitious but they always seem to throw plenty of money at BoB projects.

Jason56d

BoB was excellent. The Pacific was good in its own right as a mini series. But most of us compared it to BoB and it came up very short IMO. I would watch a third series without a doubt and hope it will be more like the first than the second effort.

s_inman

Great news!

I really enjoyed both Band of Brothers and The Pacific :).

richp007

Distinguished Member
The Pacific was a very good series. Not quite as good as BoB, but pretty damn close.

I actually shed tears at the end of BoB. Never before has any TV show moved me so much.

aprout

Distinguished Member
Quick heads up, HBO heads Michael Lombardo and Richard Plepler revealed that they are considering a new third miniseries.

One that would follow the aerial battles in the Pacific.
:clap:

Right after I'd watched The Pacific, I said to my friend I hoped they'd do exactly that!

Didn't Stephen Ambrose write a book about that too?

wbabbington

Best news I've had today! I watched The Pacific before BoB and I really enjoyed it (got both on BD since), so can't wait for this.

On a similar vein if you like these two series then have a look at Generation Kill, a modern day version (Iraq) of BoB.

RedDevil85

Distinguished Member
Best news I've had today! I watched The Pacific before BoB and I really enjoyed it (got both on BD since), so can't wait for this.

On a similar vein if you like these two series then have a look at Generation Kill, a modern day version (Iraq) of BoB.
+1

Loved BoB and The Pacific (stunning on Blu ray!), look forward to this 3rd entry.

Agree with Generation Kill, was a very well done series, got it on Blu ray as well and it's superb. :)

Indiana Jones

Had my Pacific BD set for around 2 years now and still not watched it :rolleyes:

s_inman

Indiana Jones said:
Had my Pacific BD set for around 2 years now and still not watched it :rolleyes:
You should give it a whirl :smashin:.

Although not as good as BOB it's still very good IMO.

Indiana Jones

s_inman said:
You should give it a whirl :smashin:.

Although not as good as BOB it's still very good IMO.
I watched it when it aired and fully intended to get stuck into the BDs once they arrived but I just haven't felt the urge to watch them like I did with Band of Brothers, must have watched that series a dozen times since first getting it on DVD.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
LOVED BoB... watched the first 2 ep's of Pacific and never bothered with any more, didnt get into it at all....

A third series..... i'll certainly give it a go.

It would be nice to see a spin off from the British perspective though, i know we joined the war late and all but still.... :rolleyes::lesson:

BigStu1972

Distinguished Member
LOVED BoB... watched the first 2 ep's of Pacific and never bothered with any more, didnt get into it at all....

A third series..... i'll certainly give it a go.

It would be nice to see a spin off from the British perspective though, i know we joined the war late and all but still.... :rolleyes::lesson:
I watched the first 3 episodes of Pacific and never got round to finishing it off. It was good but it was just missing something.
However i'd also give a new series a look.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
watched the first 2 ep's of Pacific and never bothered with any more, didnt get into it at all....
I watched the first 3 episodes of Pacific and never got round to finishing it off..
It really got better, worth sticking with imho :smashin: not sure sure about taking a 3rd to the air though !

Last edited:

Razor

Distinguished Member
Pacific was ok but nothing amazing and not as good as Band of Brothers. As Killing-Time says it did pick up a bit around the 4th or 5th episode but for me it was to little to late.

I have rewatched BB 4 times now but I cant see me rewatching Pacific again.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Band of Brother was brilliant and I can watch it over and over again but Pacific never did it for me - it just didn't draw me in. I'm not sure if I'd bother with another Pacific based one.

wokeye

I thought The Pacific was really average, I stopped watching it after a few episodes. Band Of Brothers was really good, but Generation Kill is my favourite HBO war mini-series by quite a way. I preferred the absence of soundtrack and I just thought it appeared to be much more realistic/gritty depitcting a war, with all the boredom of sitting around doing nothing that in reality must go on etc. Some of characters were totally brilliant.

The Pacific just seemed a touch cheesey/American"ised" to me.

SparkShot

The second half of pacific was superb when it switched attention to Eugene's story.

The first half wasn't great with quite a few plodding episodes.

The latter half was as good as anything i saw in BoB.

Roll on a 3rd season, it will be worth watching jusy for the high quality production values alone.

jonwatts

Couldn't agree more.stick with Pacific as second half is amazing.felt characters were fleshed out much better than bob imo.

hallanthony

Loved BOB (didn't think I would want to re-watch, but probably my most re-watched series), agree with others Pacific was slow to start but got better towards the end (still haven't picked it up on blu) and would love to see a third especially an aviation based one

Philly112

Distinguished Member
BOB was just an amazing series. Pacific would also have been great had it been 'first' but just wasn't as good emotionally. But still, both are required viewing. My wife hates all 'war stuff' but cried a few times during both series. Truly great and moving television.

Phil

blaster9999

Novice Member
BOB was just an amazing series. Pacific would also have been great had it been 'first' but just wasn't as good emotionally. But still, both are required viewing. My wife hates all 'war stuff' but cried a few times during both series. Truly great and moving television.

Phil
I think one of the problems viewers had with Pacific was that it was marketed as BOB 2 which it really wasn't.

BOB focused on a small group of men , during the months of campaigning in NW Europe. It was also a truly outstanding and groundbraking in scope

Where as Pacific followed to all intents several leads over 4 year. Its primary sources were the autobios such as With the Old Breed and the character of the later fighting is more WW1 or Vietnam, def not the "good " war against the Nazis in Europe. Pacific is a good series in its own right, flawed in part because of scope and mis sold when marketed

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Reportedly the new series is called Masters of the Air, exploring the aerial wars of the men known as the “Mighty Eighth”.

Graham Yost (Justified, Band of Brothers, The Pacific) is onboard to write episodes for the WWII mini-series. Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks will produce.

They will be using Donald L. Miller’s historical book Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany as the source material.

Book description;

“Masters of the Air is the deeply personal story of the American bomber boys in World War II who brought the war to Hitler’s doorstep. With the narrative power of fiction, Donald Miller takes readers on a harrowing ride through the fire-filled skies over Berlin, Hanover, and Dresden and describes the terrible cost of bombing for the German people.

Fighting at 25,000 feet in thin, freezing air that no warriors had ever encountered before, bomber crews battled new kinds of assaults on body and mind. Air combat was deadly but intermittent: periods of inactivity and anxiety were followed by short bursts of fire and fear. Unlike infantrymen, bomber boys slept on clean sheets, drank beer in local pubs, and danced to the swing music of Glenn Miller’s Air Force band, which toured U.S. air bases in England. But they had a much greater chance of dying than ground soldiers. In 1943, an American bomber crewman stood only a one-in-five chance of surviving his tour of duty, twenty-five missions. The Eighth Air Force lost more men in the war than the U.S. Marine Corps.

The bomber crews were an elite group of warriors who were a microcosm of America — white America, anyway. (African-Americans could not serve in the Eighth Air Force except in a support capacity.) The actor Jimmy Stewart was a bomber boy, and so was the “King of Hollywood,” Clark Gable. And the air war was filmed by Oscar-winning director William Wyler and covered by reporters like Andy Rooney and Walter Cronkite, all of whom flew combat missions with the men. The Anglo-American bombing campaign against Nazi Germany was the longest military campaign of World War II, a war within a war. Until Allied soldiers crossed into Germany in the final months of the war, it was the only battle fought inside the German homeland.

Strategic bombing did not win the war, but the war could not have been won without it. American airpower destroyed the rail facilities and oil refineries that supplied the German war machine. The bombing campaign was a shared enterprise: the British flew under the cover of night while American bombers attacked by day, a technique that British commanders thought was suicidal.

Masters of the Air is a story, as well, of life in wartime England and in the German prison camps, where tens of thousands of airmen spent part of the war. It ends with a vivid description of the grisly hunger marches captured airmen were forced to make near the end of the war through the country their bombs destroyed.

Drawn from recent interviews, oral histories, and American, British, German, and other archives, Masters of the Air is an authoritative, deeply moving account of the world’s first and only bomber war.”
Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany: Donald L. Miller: 9780743235457: Amazon.com: Books