mastercare might try and rip me off :(

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by carlyboy77, Mar 1, 2005.

1. carlyboy77

carlyboy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i have just had my Philips 28PW6826 combi tv/dvd written off by mastercare (coverplan or whatever they call themselves) after 6 months of hassle.They told me that they will send me vouchers so that i can get a tv which is at least the same spec if not better but,currys or dixons do not sell any 28"combi tv/dvd's and i was shown a philips tv which they sell for around £300.
    i have yet to find out how much ££££ vouchers i will get but what worries me is that they could send me £300 vouchers to replace a tv which cost £950 2 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would be very very grateful if someone could give me some advice on what to do if mastercare/coverplan try to diddle me

cheers

b

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

You only had six months worth of hassle from Mastercare? You are extremely lucky - I got one full year of arguments and hassle before I eventually got a video camera written off and vouchers sent to me. Mastercare's Coverplan (which I guess is what u r referring to) has to be the most awful biggest pile of poo ever (just like the DSG Retail chain in general)...

Anyway, getting back to your original question...

I doubt you will get back what you paid for it.. You need to check the small print - believe you me - if Mastercare can get out of something - they will. You will also probably find they takes ages to actually send them. I think I had to wait 3 months before I got mine...

I think (from memory) with me they said I would get vouchers to the "current value" of an "identical" product at today's prices. Hence I got a lot less than I paid.. (can't remember figures as it was some time ago)...

So, I would think it extremely unlikely that you will get back the original price you paid - although I agree 100% with your sentiments, I really do (especially as it's Coverplan/Mastercare involved here) -I am sure you will only get back today's price for an "equivelent item" - I know you say they don't actually sell an equivelent so not sure what happens here.

Be prepared for a fight though - Mastercare are the worst ever ever ever ever company I have ever had the misfortune to have had dealings with - oh - along with Curry's themselves...

I am sure many many people feel the same.. You only have to do a google search under Mastercare and Complaints to see what I mean !

Good luck and let us know how u get on

Paul

3. carlyboy77

carlyboy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they reckon that the vouchers will be with me within 5-10 days.i phoned up to find out how much i'll be getting but they say its gonna be at least 3 days before they can tell me.
    oh yeah,on the phone the mastercareless man said that the vouchers would deffo be enough to get at least the same spec if not better although it could be a different make.
    i have put the specs down on here and i was wondering if anyone knew of a tv which would satisfy the spec requirements (ive had a look on currys and dixons and i couldnt spot a dolby pro logic tv with 4 speakers built in plus 2 wireless ones?).
    my head hurts.i'm confused and its all because of masterdon'tcare.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
    Product Type TV/DVD combo - colour
    Width 78.2 cm
    Depth 50.7 cm
    Height 50.7 cm
    Weight 38 kg
    Enclosure Colour Silver shadow
    Localisation English / Europe
    Television
    Technology CRT
    CRT Type Real Flat Black Line S
    Diagonal Size 28"
    Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Widescreen Modes Zoom 14:9, Zoom 16:9, Subtitle Zoom, Super Zoom, WideScreen, Picture Tilt, Conventional 4:3
    Colour Temperature Control Yes
    Channel Return Yes
    Noise Muting Yes
    Picture Adjustment Soft/Natural/Rich/Multimedia/Personal
    Features Velocity Modulation Scanning, Top Control Panel, on-screen menu, Dynamic Contrast
    DVD
    Type DVD player - built-in
    Media Type CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, CD, Video CD
    CD Playback Modes Programme play, random play, all tracks repeat, one track repeat
    TV Tuner
    Tuner Qty 1 tuner(s)
    Reception System PAL, SECAM
    Stereo Reception System NICAM
    Channel Qty 100 channel(s)
    Video Features
    Teletext Yes
    Teletext Memory 100 pages
    Programme Guide Features Auto Channel Mapping
    Parental Channel Lock Yes
    NTSC Playback on PAL TV Yes
    Remote Control
    Type Universal remote control - infrared
    Supported Devices TV, VCR, DVD player
    Features Colour-coded buttons
    Audio System
    Sound Output Mode Stereo
    Built-in Decoders Dolby Pro Logic
    Surround Sound Effects Virtual Dolby Surround
    Digital Sound Processor (DSP) Yes
    Speakers Included 3 speakers, subwoofer
    Output Power / Total 60 Watt
    Features Volume limiter
    Speaker(s) 2 x right/left channel speaker - built-in
    1 x subwoofer - built-in
    1 x centre channel speaker - built-in
    2 x right/left rear channel speaker - external
    Connections
    Connector Type 1 x headphones ( mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) - side
    1 x composite video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - side
    1 x S-Video input ( 4 PIN mini-DIN ) - side
    2 x SCART ( 21 PIN SCART ) - rear
    1 x fixed audio output ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear
    1 x SPDIF output ( TOS Link ) - rear
    1 x SPDIF output ( RCA phono ) - rear
    1 x antenna ( IEC connector ) - rear
    Power
    Power Device Power supply - integrated
    Voltage Required AC 220/240 V ± 10% ( 50/60 Hz )
    Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 5 Watt
    Power Consumption Operational 98 Watt
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Service & Support 1 year warranty
    Service & Support Details Limited warranty - parts and labour - 1 year
    Dimensions & Weight (Shipping)
    Width (Shipping) 92 cm
    Depth (Shipping) 69 cm
    Height (Shipping) 68 cm
    Weight (Shipping) 44 kg

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    The TV you used to have is still available to buy new, perhaps the shop you bought it from could arrange to get you one (about £750-online). So you should get at least that if they cannot get you one, you will have to read the smallprint!
    Nigel

5. gario

gario

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    My daughter had a four and a half year old JVC hi fi system which could not be repaired, the cost of this unit when new was £195, Mastercare/ Coverplan sent her vouchers for £200, plus another voucher for about £8. to cover the time remaining on her warranty.
    Hopefully Carlyboy77 you get a good result also.
    Good luck
    G

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, how old was your telly before it was written off ? Regards, yt.

7. carlyboy77

carlyboy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i purchased the tv in august 2002 but the starting of the problem which lead to it being written off happened in june 2004.

anyway,no vouchers through the post yet :thumbsdow

will let you all know as soon as they come through.

cheers peeps

8. carlyboy77

carlyboy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mastercare have sent out £518 vouchers which i should receive within a day or 2.i went down to currys and had a word with the rather nice manageress and she got straight on the phone to mkastercare and requested that the vouchers were upped to a higher ammount.she had to be realistic and asked for a panasonic tx-1 at about £530 and a panasonic home dvd theater kit at about £170 to cover the spec of my old tv.because it was after 5pm the person at munstercare was unable to give the ok on the extra ammount due to lack of authority or summat so the manageress gave me the shops direct line so that i can call back 2morrow and find out what the munstercare decision is.
    so then,the worst thing that can happen is i get £518 back for a 2 an half year old tv that cost me £650 or £700 if the manageress gets me vouchers upped.
    i suppose i am quite chuffed really because my philips just did my nut in with all the hassle and i'm sure even with just £518 i can get a decent 32" widescreen.
    i'll let you know what happens 2morrow
    p.s i spotted a philips 32" (might be the 32PW6518+) are these tv's any good or isthere better 32" around for 500ish?
    cheers