Master socket problem or internal wiring?

ajcham

Established Member
Not really a Sky BB problem, but I thought I would post here since I have Sky BB. Mods please move if this should go elsewhere.

I have been having intermittent problems with my internet connection recently, and on Thursday I couldn't get online at all. After a few calls to Sky, the problem seemed to be resolved, but in doing so, the Sky technician pointed out that I was getting a much lower download speed than expected (I was getting around 2-2.4 meg, but my distance from the exchange should be giving me nearly the Mid package cap of 8 meg).

I played around with the BT test socket on Friday and found that I could get 8meg download (according to the router status page) and around 6.5-7.5 in download tests. I spoke again to Sky and the guy suggested that I fit a new master socket as it might be faulty (or get Sky to do it for £160 quid).

I have just been playing around with the socket again, and I tried pulling out the two blue/white wires from the faceplate that (I believe) go to the extension socket in another room. This has resulted in 8 meg from the main (non-test) socket.

So, my question is, where is the fault here - is it the master socket, or is there a problem with the wiring to the extension socket? If the latter, how could I go about fixing that fault myself?

simonf7

Established Member
Its the extension wiring, I had a similar problem myself. I've cured it by fitting a new style faceplate with an ADSL filter built in, the connections on the back for the extension wiring are filtered so don't affect the sync speed. This will only work if you don't want to use the extension for plugging in your router though.

Have a search for an NTE2000 faceplate.

Si

ajcham

Established Member
Thanks.

The problem is that I have two routers, one that I use for personal stuff (that plugs into the main socket) and another that I have for work (which plugs into the extension socket in the study) which allows me to use an office phone via a VPN. It isn't possible to move the work router up to the main socket as the office phone needs to plug into it using an ethernet cable.

Is there an alternative solution to the NTE2000 faceplate (other than replacing the wiring to the extension socket)?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I had a similar issue that was caused by extension wiring.

I'm quite a distance from my exchange so was happy (as can be!) with my 2mb. But we removed an extension to the kitchen that we no longer needed and the download speed shot up to just under 4mb which is fantastic. We've got another extension which I'm tempted to remove one day just to test it.

Jammie dodger

Established Member
Thanks.

The problem is that I have two routers, one that I use for personal stuff (that plugs into the main socket) and another that I have for work (which plugs into the extension socket in the study) which allows me to use an office phone via a VPN. It isn't possible to move the work router up to the main socket as the office phone needs to plug into it using an ethernet cable.

Is there an alternative solution to the NTE2000 faceplate (other than replacing the wiring to the extension socket)?

I've read that if you want to use two modem/routers on a single phone line, then the one that's not in use must be unplugged from the telephone socket or it will still adversely affect the adsl connection even though it is not powered up.

If your existing extension cable still has the ring wire (pin3 - usually orange wire) connected then disconnect it (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm )- if you are getting a poor sync rate with just pins 2 & 5 connected (usually blue+white & white+blue) and you've unplugged the second router, then your extension probably isn't twisted pair and really needs to be replaced, removed or filtered.

You could move the router to the main socket and either run cat5e cable to the study, or buy a pair of homeplugs (ethernet over mains units) which cost from £40 a pair.

Last edited:

ajcham

Established Member
I've read that if you want to use two modem/routers on a single phone line, then the one that's not in use must be unplugged from the telephone socket or it will still adversely affect the adsl connection even though it is not powered up.

I will try that, although my two router set up has been working fine for a couple of years.

If your existing extension cable still has the ring wire (pin3 - usually orange wire) connected then disconnect it (::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .:: )- if you are getting a poor sync rate with just pins 2 & 5 connected (usually blue+white & white+blue) and you've unplugged the second router, then your extension probably isn't twisted pair and really needs to be replaced, removed or filtered.

I have disconnected the ring wire from both the main and extension sockets. The sync rate on the router in the extension socket is also ~8000kb/s.

You could move the router to the main socket and either run cat5e cable to the study, or buy a pair of homeplugs (ethernet over mains units) which cost from £40 a pair.

I will look into these.

Last night the intermittent connection problems were back (although when it was working I was getting 7meg download, so much better than before), the Internet light on the router kept dropping out for a few seconds. The router was in the main socket, and the extension socket is still completely disconnected from the phone line. I spoke to a neighbour over the weekend and he said that his internet connection (with BT) was extremely slow on Thursday (when my problems really started). Coincidence perhaps, or does this point to a problem outside of my house?

ajcham

Established Member

I have left my set up alone for a week, and it has been working consistently at 7meg from the main socket with the extension socket completely detached.

I just tried reconnecting the extension socket and the sync rate dropped down to 2600 kbps as before. However, unplug the second router from the extension socket (even though it is switched off) as Jammie dodger suggested, and router in the socket retains 7meg download. So hopefully my problems are now resolved. :thumbsup: Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G3 MLA OLED Evo Best Picture Settings - works for ALL 2023 LG OLEDs
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom