• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Master Socket Outlets

CLIVE35

Novice Member
Hi Guys

Can someone out there put me straight, I’m with Zen internet service provider and have one of their FritzBox routers.

The engineer who came out to connect it up has fitted an Openreach master socket with just one telephone jack into which I’ve had to fit a broadband micro filter so I can connect my router plus my telephone.

I’d prefer to have a master socket with the two outlets one for my broadband router and the other for my telephone.

Iv'e been looking on ebay at BT OPENREACH TYPE NTE5 MASTER PHONE SOCKET AND VDSL2/ADSL FACEPLATE FILTER KIT A
High speed VDSL2 faceplate filter and NTE5 socket kit!

And a BT OPENREACH TYPE NTE5 MASTER PHONE SOCKET AND VDSL2/ADSL FACEPLATE FILTER KIT B
High speed VDSL2 faceplate filter and NTE5 socket kit!

I’m not really up on all this technology so I don’t know what the difference is between the two above master sockets or even if I should fit something different altogether.

Can someone put me right

Thanks
Clive

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The only difference in the part of the description you've posted is that one is described as Kit A and one is described as Kit B so they presumably contain different stuff. Perhaps one contains extra mounting parts or different wire terminals, you'd have to check the full description.

However, it sounds like the description is referring to the entire socket which you ideally don't want to be touching. You new socket should already be in the NTE5 style with the removable lower half ('faceplate'), in which case you'd just swap that bit for a VDSL faceplate.

CLIVE35

Novice Member
Hello EndlessWaves

Thank you for your reply, you say Kit A and Kit B presumably contain different stuff.
I don't know what the different stuff is, that's what I'm trying to find out.

I’ve sent a message to seller that’s marketing both of them so hopefully they can advise what the difference is between the two kits. (A & B)

As far as the lower half of the faceplate is concerned and I could be wrong here, but I wasn’t aware the bottom half of the plate can be purchased on its own.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom