1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master & Commander - spoilers within

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Iam, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen it at the Showcase, sorry to say I was disappointed.

I'm a big fan of the books, which probably causes part of my problem ... a film can't do justice to the depth of 18 or so books.

However, I find my main gripe was the photography ... it was dark & the colour was bleached out. Did anyone else dislike this?
    The cinema picture was n't helped by a blurred spot on the projector, btw. It reminded me of "Black Hawk Down".

The opening was odd as well - no "beginning, middle & end here", it just started mid ocean. Possibly this is some sort of statement by the director, but I found it disconcerting.

The characters themselves - well, Jack Aubrey was made more thoughtful, less bumptious & crass, whilst Stephen Maturin was dumbed down, or at least not developed - nowhere was his secret identity as a spy revealed, nor was it mentioned that he was half Spanish, also, he was not portrayed as quite as cold & calaculating, nor quite as odd, as in the books.

The whole "stick insect inspiration" theme also ticked me off as unneccessary ... it was quite a usual ruse de guerre, just seemed dumped in the film as a way for Aubrey to win in the end.

Well, there you have it ... my gripes. It's still a good film, just could have been so much better, maybe it'll look better on DVD (which I'll be getting despite all the above).

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    ive not read the books so i came from a different angle to you, but i thought it was quite slow and a bit "uninvolving" at times, i quite enjoyed it - it did make me realise that when i have a bad day at work - i've nothing to complain about!!! i could never have been a 19th century sailor!!!

Although it would have been better to have them chasing the yanks like in the book!!

Gary

3. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In a Hollywood movie? No chance...

4. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think there was much of a stoty.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree (in particular with the opening), watched it a few days back and it was ok, nothing great but not that bad either. I guess Hollywood is really running out of (good) ideas.

Doesn't really relate but watch 'Mystic River' if you like thrillers, great movie (the best I have seen in a while) directed by Clint Eastwood.