Massive interference with RGB Lights and AV receiver?!

Wayne00

Established Member
Reaction score
I have RGB lights behind all my 5.1 speakers (I'll get pics tmoz :) ) And it works great untill I turn my av receiver radio on! Turn lights on radio turns off, turn lights off radio works lol! I've put the radio aerial as far away from the lights as possible and it don't make a diff!

Lights work fine when playing xbox etc through the amp just radio that messes up when I turn the lights on!

Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
I have seen rf interference from my LED strip attached to the top of the PC monitor and DAB radio with DAB wire aerial 10cm away from LED controller.

The rf interference is generated either by the PSU or the LED controller. You need to do some elimination. The easiest and quickest way is to power the LED controller from a 12V battery - e.g. car battery/alarm battery. You'll need a 2.1mm power socket attached to a few cm of power cable (~3A). Make sure you get the polarity right - centre conductor is usually +ve. If this fixes the problem, then you have verified that it is the psu, in which case you need to fit clamp-on ferrite suppressors around the power supply input and output leads, as close to the psu as possible.

If this doesn't fix it then the LED controller is responsible and in this case, you need to fit the clamp-on ferrites on all 3 leads attached to the controller, i.e DC in, RGBV+ out, IR sensor lead, again as close to the controller as possible.

Last edited:
Cheers, I moved the controller/psu to the other side of the room (6 meters away from the amp) and connected it up at another terminal. Still does the same thing!

I can turn the psu on fine, as soon as I press the On button on the lights remote it turns the radio off lol. I've tried to hide the controller from sight of the amp when turning the lights on and that doesn't work. Bizarre!

Internet radio through HDMI works great though lol

OK - this means that the 'boxes' (psu & LED controller) themselves are not radiating as I expected. What it does mean is that the one of the 'boxes' is generating the interference internally, then using the attached cables to act as aerials. So you need to go through the elimination process I described and nip the problem (source) in the bud as soon (close) as possible. Start with the battery-in-place-of-psu suggestion.

OK - this means that the 'boxes' (psu & LED controller) themselves are not radiating as I expected. What it does mean is that the one of the 'boxes' is generating the interference internally, then using the attached cables to act as aerials. So you need to go through the elimination process I described and nip the problem (source) in the bud as soon (close) as possible. Start with the battery-in-place-of-psu suggestion.

Ah ok! Bizarre how it completely knocks the radio out completely rather than just giving off electrical noise that you can hear via distortion in the radio lol!

I'll order these then, and to avoid hassle of the car battery testing i'll trouble shoot when they arrive using them. I'll let you know whether it is the psu or controller that is the culprit, my bets on the controller!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Split-fer...ultDomain_3&hash=item43a61a4261#ht_1032wt_952

:)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Oh my days!!!!!!!!! My normal TV controller changes the bloody lights!!!!

Up channel set them to flash
Down channel sets them to purple
Right and Left are yellow/orange!!!!!

I didn't expect all my IR equipment to interact with each other!!!

I'm using a cheapy 24 button remote/controller combo but have a 44 one turning up this week. Maybe all the controls on that pairing won't be set to the exact frequency as my TV!!! *Sigh*

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom