Massive difference in audio quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Rob100, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi,

I currently use a Panny TUCT20 Freeview box and although I am generally impressed with the PQ the audio has always been poor - very dull and "spaceless". I assumed that this was how Freeview was and thought nothing more of it (still annoyed me though).

Anyway a friend has just bought the Pace box from Argos and we tried it on my system in direct comparison to the Panny box and although the Panny had a VERY slightly better PQ the audio quality from the Pace box was a MASSIVE improvement.

I have decided to replace the Panny box, but with what? What is the best sounding Freeview box available? Is the Panny particularly bad?

Comments/advise welcomed.

Thanks,

Rob.

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an old Nokia Mediamaster 9850T. The digital audio sound has a hateful tizzyness in the top end although the lows are incredibly lush and defined. I think the midrange has lost most of its focus but with oxygen-free wire to the mids there was an absence of a sweet midrange colouration and the transients increased at the expense of midrange texture and air.

With RGB selected I detected a smoother more natural sound with more realistic harmonics. The bass is slightly loose and emphasised with a bright and pure treble imparting a nice plumminess to the sound. Of course I've only had the system a year and the ears need time to adjust to any system or setup but I thought I detected a whiteness during intertransient silences with lots of air around instruments.

On MTV I found lovely, spacious, coherent music. The deep fundamentals leave you gasping for breath but a little less musical down low and up high and an occasional honk on a horn during guitar solos. Of course most of the music is RAP with a capital "C". Jeez, I just couldn't resist typing this. Am I dull and spaceless or wot?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The nokia 221t has had very good reveiws try searching for it too look for comments on audio quality.
    One question are you using Digital or Analogue Audio out from the bow and and what are you using to amplify the sound, amp, TV or a receiver?

4. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Fernsehman

A great post but could u run it past me again and first off say what sound sytsem. speakers etc u are using. If u can get that sound u describe I want one! Could u mention a few tracks that could be used for testing but if your sound system cost thousands then I can only dream...

"""" although the lows are incredibly lush and defined."""

What a sound!!

gb---

5. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The man speak with forked tongue...

The bit about the RGB "giving smoother natural sound" should be your giveaway clue.

RGB being pictures of course.

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people need to have it spelled out.... :rolleyes:

I use an Amstrad SRD2000 (with built-in Dolby Prologic) that I picked up for 20 quid at a car boot. The speakers are unspeakable. I've repaired the rips in the cones with Evo-Stick.

I've also filled them with Kapak.

7. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fernsehman - I'm sure you could use that as a wine review if you just changed a couple of words and removed the bit about oxygen free wire.

ps if your "speakers" are "unspeakable", does that make them "unable"?

:clown:

8. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If anyone cares for a serious answer :) I have an old nokia mediamaster and stick the digital audio output into an arcam avr100 home cinema amp. Gives much better sound than any of the boxes give themselves.

Shame they are such a pig to use as the picture is ace as well. Though can verge towards plummy...

9. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be serious for a minute, both the Nokia Mediamaster and Pace FTA box are performing well here - as far as sound is concerned.

The PACE does everything well if you can handle the connections at the back.

As many will know, the Nokia does well as long as you don't change channels too often or use teletext - which upsets it.

So my Nokia is now performing the role of a digital radio tuner feeding a HiFi system and pretty good it sounds too...

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, to be serious, I really do use an Amstrad SRD2000. I "Scarted" it from my Nokia MediaMaster 9850T, my old Pace BSKYB2200, my new DVD player and my VCR. The surround sound is just about tolerable. I just love the warp engines humming behind me during "Enterprise" (no comments, please!) and "The Simpsons" sound pretty cool.

DVDs are just superb.

The Amstrad gives only 15 watts max per channel but, hey, for 20 quid I'm not complaining. :)

11. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twenty quid to get a whiteness during intertransient silences sounds like a bargain to me...

12. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was a fib. It's more of a pinkness. ;)

And hands up all those who spotted the other fib about MTV on Freeview! :smoke: