Massive Dif between Sony Bravia S & V Series?

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Stevonw, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Stevonw

Stevonw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, so um i am thinking about just going for the s-series because the budget i'm on being a poor student n all, but i was wondering whether the V-Series really is a massive improvement and whether its worth spending the money now and just gettin the 32" V-Series?

Anyone help?

2. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not a HUGE difference, but I think the V-series has the Bravia Colour Engine. Also the V-series looks 10x better :D

3. spice2019

spice2019

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Not a huge difference. I wouldn't say 10x better, maybe 10% better. The V series has Live Colour Creation. The colours on the V series are said to be more vibrant. Contrast levels are actually higher on the S series, maybe to counteract the lack of backlight on the S. Looks wise the V looks much smarter, the S looks a little retro. Both screens use the Bravia engine. I wouldn't worry too much any screen with the Bravia monicker is going to be good. Just avoid the old Wega models, poor blacks and jittery moving images

4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Live Colour Creation is rubbish, although I believe it's there on the S-series as "Live Colour." (all LCC does is exaggerate some colours)

The main difference is that the V series has a wide colour gamut backlight, and better colours / greyscale out of the box. When properly calibrated (via the service menu and with the proper tools) from what I've been reading, the S series could actually be more accurate, but I can't confirm that.

Backlight aside, all the other processing etc is said to be the same, the S is just built cheaper. (from the photos I've seen of it, I prefer how the S looks, but it may not look as good "in the flesh")

5. The_T_C

The_T_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Both have only 1 HDMI connection which is a possible problem.

6. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    not much difference apart from some long marketing word colour system that the V series has.

in reality though viewing them side by side theres very little difference and i doubt many people would know which is which.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Not a lot of difference as far as I'm aware, nope.

You'd have thought Sony could give V-Series owners some better inputs, but ohh no :D

No, they're not the same thing. "Live Colour" in the menu is a fairly worthless little tweak that just saturates certain colours. The physical hardware ("Live Colour Creation backlight") gives you a slightly deeper look to some colours but it's a very subtle effect most of the time.

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    LCC just saturates some colours too - the only difference is that it has a slightly different effect due to the WCG-CCFL backlight.

Both look crap and aren't bothering with. (Live Colour / Live Colour Creation - not the BRAVIAs)