Massive Attack - 100th window

sticker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Not long had this album and really like it (no flaming please :)) Any of their other albums got a similar sound?

Regards
John

Massive Attack - Mezzanine - 10x better than 100th Window IMO

I agree with SagUK, Mezzanine is one of my favourite Massive Attack albums and totaly different to their earlier material. Although Blue Lines and Protection are superb albums aswell and I always come back to those albums, timeless classics.

To be honest, I was dissapointed with 100th Window, I wasn't keen on that album apart from a couple of tracks, and it was such a wait (as always with Massive Attack;) ), nowhere near on par with their other albums IMHO

Thanks guys for your views......Mezzanine ordered :)

Regards
John

John.

Their debut "Blue Lines" is a classic

The track "Unfinished Sympathy" is an all time gem of a tune

Adz

Blue lines (ahh.. shara nelson, that girl could sing) still the all time classic. protection is the weakest imo but still a good album. I love mezzanine and 100th window

Adz man, you know i've got paul oakenfolds Unfinished Sympathy- perfecto mix;)

Every scratch tells a story:)

Originally posted by keanyboy
Adz man, you know i've got paul oakenfolds Unfinished Sympathy- perfecto mix;)

Every scratch tells a story:)

Seanyboy

There's a few remixes of that track hanging about.
Might be worth a few quid now mate.

I used to like the video for Unfinished Sympathy.
Just Shara Nelson walking down the street, with loads of weirdo people just looking at her.

The title track from Protection :"Protection" is a quality tune.

Great vocals from Tracey Thorn

Adz

The oaky one is the famous club land one, the best version imo. the chart one is a little slower, but still a class.

There is a bootleg thats worth £30

Cheers Adz

I have been a big Massive Attack fan at times, and my understanding is that Mezzanine was the last album that was created by the Massive Attack 'collective' - 100th Window was more of a one-man project under the Massive Attack name. Could be wrong, of course.

Mezzanine is brilliant; dark, brooding - and great vocals from Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins.

Blue Lines... hard to believe that it came out as far back as 1991!

Originally posted by engaged
100th Window was more of a one-man project under the Massive Attack name. Could be wrong, of course.

No, that's pretty much right. It's a solo project, really.

Sticker -- As everyone else says, BLUE LINES is bonafide classic. I have 100th Window down as the weakest release so I don't think you go wrong with whatever else you get but Mezzanine is great.

A fair few Unfinished Sympathy mixes on the Singles 88-98 compilation, too.

Mezzanine and Blue lines are great albums. I think Blue Lines just shades it. Along similar lines Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentleman we are floating in space and Primal Scream- Screamadelica all classics.

Yup, 100th Window & Protection are definetly their weakest albums which is a shame as they both have some great tracks on them, get "Mezzanine" & "Blue Lines"

ooh and "11 Promo's" has some of their videos, which are fantastic especially the extremely seedy "Be Thankfull for What You've Got" and "Angel".

Thanks Guy's for all your views...............lots of listening to do

It was oakenfolds mix that made Unfinished Sympathy. The times I've had with that tune, has to be one the greatest ever in my view

I didn't like the oakenfold mix though, it reminds me of the Darkness cover of Street Spirit (fade out)

yeah, the one with the smooth bass line added to it?

Its the one that really put it on the map...it was massive in clubland before the chart version came out.

subjective of course- but i do love both versions

I would agree with others here. 100th window does not have the same consistent high standard of songs as found in Mezzanine for example, but it does have my favourite Massive Attack song - Track 2 "What your soul sings"
Just love the Sinead O'Connor haunting vocals and the bass rumble towards the end of the track....

A word of warning though...
With most Massive Attack stuff, you will be missing out on half the song unless you have a sub!!

Originally posted by keanyboy
Its the one that really put it on the map...it was massive in clubland before the chart version came out.

subjective of course- but i do love both versions

Shame I never experienced it in clubland being about 12 and all :)

Oh mate, you've never really heard Unfinished Sympathy until you've seen a bird dancing and crying while off her face to it. It was in 'space' Ibiza. Tears of joy and XTC i might add.

God it's some tune

yeah, the massive attack dvd is something else too - 12 promos I think it's called....

Originally posted by babble
yeah, the massive attack dvd is something else too - 12 promos I think it's called....

Oh yeah! I always forget about that dvd, reason: that clear label-less box, not very noticable in the collection;) infact I only found it in the shop by pure chance. Worth having just for the Teardrop video, freaks me out every time:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom