Mass Effect: Urgent question ref 2nd playthrough

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by 1LeeDenton, Jan 12, 2008.

1. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hi y'all,

I've decided to have another run through Mass Effect after recently completing my 1st game. I didn't get any of the biotic achievements, nor did I reach level 50/60, so I fancy cranking the difficulty up, and playing through again using my level 47 Shepherd.

My query is, when I started the 2nd game (by recalling my level 47 Shepherd) it was defaulted to the previous games difficulty - Normal. I've run through the opening titles (ie, the stuff you've no control over), and the very first moment that I can, I've gone into options and changed the difficulty to Hardcore.

With this in mind, does this now mean that I can complete the game again, on this setting, and get the Hardcore achievment as well?? Or have I cheated the system a bit, gonna get to the end of the game and get no 'difficulty achievement' :suicide:

Anyone know??

2. Spinke

Spinke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I wondered the same thing. I set the default to 'Hardcore' before creating my second game and after killing a few things I noticed it'd set itself to Casual! (I did the first playthrough on Normal) - will this affect my achievement? Not a big deal if it doesn't, I'll know what to look out for on my third playthrough when I do Veteran :).

3. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    As long as you change to Hardcore before the end of Eden Prime it will accept it and you will get the achievement as long as you don't change it again before the end of the game.

4. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Two questions linked to the above: do you have to play through on Hardcore to open up Insanity?

If no, and you can select Insanity from the outset, will playing on Insanity also give you the Hardcore achievement, or do you need to do separate run-throughs?

5. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Having played Normal on my 1st run through, Insanity still isn't available, so I'm guessing it only opens up once you complete the game in hardcore mode

6. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    Yes Insane difficulty opens up after Hardcore. Change your difficulty before leaving the Normandy, thats what i did and it worked, but not sure if changing it on Eden Prime works.

7. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Aw nuts, that means I'm going to have to play through a third time if I want the achievement...meh.

8. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    When i did Insane it was really easy - difficulty/killing stuff i mean - and i ramped thru a speedrun in like 6 hours. It was kinda fun just blazing thru, skipping anything you could skip and not doing any sidequests.