• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mass Effect 3 09/03/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Has the time finally come?

Is Mass Effect 3 BioWare's Next Game? - Xbox 360 Feature at IGN

BioWare has also posted these symbols on its Facebook page:

[Symbols cut]

According to commenters on the Facebook page, these mysterious barcode symbols translate to the atomic mass of Iron and the lowest temperature on Earth.

There are a lot of different ways to interpret these clues. The fact that the first picture has to do with the "mass" of an element could refer to the title of the space-focused franchise. Or hey, maybe Shepard is just iron deficient and needs to take his daily vitamins.

As for the coldest temperature on Earth, which was recorded at Lake Vostok, Antarctica, that's actually a star system in the Mass Effect universe. Maybe there's a new battle to be won there?

Another rumour is that its a spin off game..

Rumor: New BioWare Game a Mass Effect Spin-Off - Xbox360 News at IGN

According to an unnamed development source, the game shown will be a multiplayer-focused Mass Effect game and not Mass Effect 3. The new game won't be a massively multiplayer online title, and is said to focus on the Call of Duty market by including an extensive player progression system. This spin-off game will have some sort of single-player component but it will not feature Commander Shepard

Bioware are going to announce what it is at the Spike VGA's on Dec 11th

Fingers crossed for ME3 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I kinda hope for the latter spin off

6t0bitx.gif

Ico.

Prominent Member
It looks like a Sony Russia rep messed up big time. A Tweet on the SCEE Russia Twitter feed pretty much confirmed Mass Effect 3, according to internet translations.

According to Ripten, the crazy Russian symbols in the post (pictured) translated to: "Company #BioWare Award for #VideoGameAwards showed a teaser, in which we can see the first footage #MassEffect 3″.

The snapshot on this page is of the post before the whole account was snappily killed off, which does nothing but raise even more eyebrows. It must have been important for such a critical response.

Link

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Mass Effect 3 - we all know it's on the way. Right? :rolleyes: RIGHT? But if there is any implication that it's an exclusive for Sony, I'll be gutted. Not because I don't have a PS3 - I do - but because I hate the PS3 controller. Also, that'd mean no option to continue the game I'd started on the 360.

So actually, thinking about it, that last point makes Mass Effect 3 seem unlikely to be a Sony exclusive.

As you were :D

Stinja

Distinguished Member
but because I hate the PS3 controller. Also, that'd mean no option to continue the game I'd started on the 360.
you should check out the PS3 hardware forum, there's a few decent 360-like controllers now available.

As for game continuation: can anyone really say the ME1 -> ME2 continuation was anything special? A picture on your desk if you had a love interest, a bit of xp and some resources. Hardly "wow my character is the same" :rolleyes: then my lesbian lover Liara all but ignores me, and gives the same options to a stranger-Shepard :facepalm: whatever. As long as the game and story are good, I don't really care which console it's on*

* ignoring the bodily-discharge that is the Wii of course...

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
As for game continuation: can anyone really say the ME1 -> ME2 continuation was anything special? A picture on your desk if you had a love interest, a bit of xp and some resources. Hardly "wow my character is the same"
You say that, but I did enjoy coming across characters from the first game that I'd helped/not helped, ones that I'd been merciful to and who had lived on in fear of me. The whole process of continuation wasn't as well-implemented as it should've been, but for me Mass Effect 2 was a proper sequel: it took some adjustment, but I quite liked the shift in tone.

That said, I did still think the story in the second was a bit 'light,' and I preferred the first for its epic story.

It seemed to me like BioWare were testing out things and refining the game mechanics, using ME2 as a stepping stone to what I hope will be a meatier and longer concluding part to the trilogy.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
As for game continuation: can anyone really say the ME1 -> ME2 continuation was anything special? A picture on your desk if you had a love interest, a bit of xp and some resources. Hardly "wow my character is the same" :rolleyes: then my lesbian lover Liara all but ignores me, and gives the same options to a stranger-Shepard :facepalm: whatever. As long as the game and story are good, I don't really care which console it's on

Depends on your definition of special but theres more than you think

Major Plot Decisions
■Rescuing Kaidan Alenko or Ashley Williams during the Virmire mission.
The character who was left behind will not appear in any subsequent games in the Mass Effect series. It is a permanent character death.

■Killing Wrex during the Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage confrontation.
If Wrex survived, he returns to Tuchanka and has united all the krogan under Clan Urdnot to combat the genophage and strengthen the krogan. If Wrex is killed (or if the player doesn't import), the more traditional Urdnot Wreav becomes the leader of Clan Urdnot, and little changes for the krogan.

■Deciding the fate of the Council during the battle with Sovereign, and the nomination of either Captain Anderson or Donnel Udina to the Council.
If the Council is saved with Anderson as a representative, Shepard is granted an audience with the Council and has the opportunity to be reinstated as a Spectre. All other options will result in no audience with the Council, but Shepard will still be reinstated as a Spectre if either Anderson was made a Councilor (even if the original Council was lost) or if the Council was saved (but Udina was made the human Councilor). If the Council was not saved, aliens you meet on on the Citadel will be somewhat bitter against humanity, and Avina will have a fascist streak, repeatedly notifying Shepard that certain inquiries have been forwarded to C-Sec, and to surrender if approached for arrest.

Other Plot Decisions

■Fist on the Citadel
If Fist is spared, Shepard encounters him at Afterlife, where Fist angrily admonishes Shepard for ruining his life and making the effort of harassing him across the galaxy despite him being a small time criminal.

■Colonists and Shiala on Feros
If sufficient numbers of colonists survived (or if Shepard persuaded Ethan Jeong to commit ExoGeni resources toward rebuilding the colony,) Shepard encounters a representative of the colonists on Illium who need help extricating themselves from a medical contract. If Shiala was spared, she is the representative. (Note: Even if the Thorian enslaved colonists are killed but Shiala is spared, Shiala still references Shepard saving them.)

■Rachni Queen on Noveria
If the Rachni Queen is set free, she will send a message through an asari on the planet Illium conveying her gratitude, with further dialogue ensuing. There is a news report of small scout ships seemingly rachni in design that, when approached, quickly retreat. If the Rachni Queen is killed, Galactic News will instead report of data recovered from Peak 15 linking to cloning of rachni, but no rachni found.

■Gianna Parasini on Noveria
If Shepard aided Gianna, she is found on Illium where she again requests help, and will buy Shepard the promised beer. If a male Shepard aids her, she will additionally give him a kiss. This quest also appears in Mass Effect 2 without an imported save file, or on an imported save file where you got what you needed via another method that does not involve Gianna, but male Shepard will not be able to receive a kiss.

■Encouraging Garrus to be more renegade or paragon
If Paragon, Garrus will have attempted to join C-Sec but lament that he could do little good there in the chaotic aftermath of the attack on the Citadel; during his loyalty mission, if Shepard questions his plan he will say that killing Sidonis is something he must do. If Renegade, Garrus will have trained to become a Spectre but will claim that it never worked out; during his loyalty mission, if Shepard questions the plan Garrus will be confused.

■Helping Tali with her personal pilgrimage quest
When first encountering her on Freedom's Progress, mentioning the gift of the geth data can serve to prove Shepard's identity. This will also change the dialogue at the end of the encounter if that particular dialogue choice is selected.

■Rana Thanoptis on Virmire
If Rana is spared, Shepard encounters her during Grunt's recruitment mission on Korlus while seeking Okeer.

■Captain Kirrahe on Virmire
A dialogue option will open during which Mordin Solus will reference Kirrahe's "Hold the Line" speech during ship conversation if a Mass Effect save is imported. The dialogue will change slightly depending on whether or not Kirrahe survived the mission.

Assignment Decisions
These result merely in e-mail to private terminal or news reports unless noted otherwise.

■Shepard's resolution of the pre-service history quest:

■Spacer -- Citadel: Old, Unhappy, Far-Off Things

■Earthborn -- Citadel: Old Friends

■Colonist -- Citadel: I Remember Me

■Shepard's choice to aid Sha'ira in Citadel: Asari Consort.

■Shepard's choice to aid Samesh Bhatia in Citadel: Homecoming.
If the body was released to Samesh, Shepard receives an e-mail from Samesh thanking Shepard for the help. There will also be a news story indicating that the Alliance is having difficulty in meeting recruiting quotas due to fears of 'superior' geth technology.

■Shepard's treatment of Conrad Verner in Citadel: The Fan
Shepard will run into him on Illium, but the interactions are identical regardless of prior treatment. This is due to a glitch in the first Mass Effect which activates both the "Charmed" and "Intimidated" flags, but forces the "Intimidated" option as the default.

■Shepard's choice to aid Emily Wong in Citadel: Reporter's Request.

■Shepard's choice to aid Chorban in Citadel: Scan the Keepers.
Chorban sends an e-mail about his scientific findings about the keepers; the text of the e-mail will vary depending on the number of keepers Shepard scanned in Mass Effect.

■Shepard's choices while being interviewed by reporter Khalisah Al-Jilani in Citadel: The Fourth Estate.
This quest occurs in Mass Effect 2 regardless of whether or not you completed it in Mass Effect. There is slightly different dialogue based on how Shepard interacted with the reporter in Mass Effect.

■Shepard's choice to help Dr. Chloe Michel in Citadel: Doctor Michel.
If the assignment was completed in Mass Effect, an email will be received in Mass Effect 2, in which Dr. Michel says that she is happy that Shepard is alive and hopes the Commander can visit her on the Citadel.

■Shepard's advice to Rebekah Petrovsky regarding her baby in Citadel: Family Matter.
Their conversation can be overheard in one of the shops on the Citadel, which differs depending on Shepard's advice. This conversation occurs in Mass Effect 2 without an imported save file.

■Shepard's interaction with Helena Blake in UNC: Hostile Takeover.
If Blake survived in Mass Effect, Shepard will run into her at Afterlife on Omega. The dialogue will vary depending on how Shepard resolved the mission.

■Shepard's interaction with Corporal Toombs in UNC: Dead Scientists.

■While Shepard's actions in UNC: Geth Incursions have no effect on Mass Effect 2, hacking geth data files during the mission is necessary to trigger Tali's personal quest, which does have an effect on Mass Effect 2.

■If the entire string of Cerberus quests (UNC: Missing Marines→UNC: Cerberus→UNC: Hades' Dogs) are completed, you can talk with Miranda about these activities, and will hear news reports about an investigation, which can involve additional testimony from UNC: Dead Scientists depending on how or whether you completed that assignment. Finishing every assignment will cause Garrus to question Shepard's choice to work with Cerberus, reminding Shepard about the experiments they had done.

■Shepard's decision in UNC: Hostage.

■Shepard's completion of UNC: Rogue VI.
This allows for additional dialogue options with EDI and Miranda regarding AIs.

■A news report will reference the events on UNC: Besieged Base, but due to a bug in the first game, the file is flagged as stating that the Sirta Foundation never recovered from the attack and will likely be shutting down.

■Shepard's decision to aid Nassana Dantius in UNC: Asari Diplomacy.
Nassana will recognize Shepard, and comment on the irony that Shepard has been "sent to kill her", referencing her sister's murder.

■Shepard's choices in Bring Down the Sky (DLC).
There will be different news reports depending on whether or not Shepard let Balak go to save the hostages. If Bring Down the Sky was not played, the news story indicates that the hostages died.

Ok so none of them are earth shattering (email responses & dialogue) the most significant is probably Wrex and being able to become a spectre again which gives you a Paragon/Renegade boost; if you played ME1 though there are so many little nods that hard not to think of them as intertwined.

Hopefully in ME3 the level of integration of these elements will be even better :thumbsup:

Last edited:

thomo

Established Member
Thanks for that list. I've played through Mass Effect 2 four times now and I still didn't know about the audience with the Council!

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Ok so none of them are earth shattering (email responses & dialogue)
Which was my point.

I recall the devs saying how different ME2 would play out due to your choices from the first game. Which it turns out is a bunch of tosh. Dont get me wrong i enjoyed both games, but IMO what was said does not match the finished product.

Ico.

Prominent Member
Ooooooooooooooo:eek:

Satsui_Ryu

Distinguished Member
I'm really looking forward to ME3, but I have to ask; who's bright idea was it to cram multiplayer into games like Mass Effect & Dead Space?

There's never been anything about either franchise that has made me think, "oh that would work well online". Co-op in ME could work, but adding multiplayer into a franchise like this is just one step closer to killing the art of single player immersion once and for all.

What's next - TESV: Skyrim Team Deathmatch?

ineedamonk

Established Member
I'm really looking forward to ME3, but I have to ask; who's bright idea was it to cram multiplayer into games like Mass Effect & Dead Space?

There's never been anything about either franchise that has made me think, "oh that would work well online". Co-op in ME could work, but adding multiplayer into a franchise like this is just one step closer to killing the art of single player immersion once and for all.

What's next - TESV: Skyrim Team Deathmatch?

Totally agree. At least with Dead Space 2 it's had a separate team working on the MP and there's no achievements associated with it. How it should be done if at all, IMO. That way, if it's good, it's a nice little bonus that doesn't subtract from the quality of the SP.

Hopefully ME3's MP will be dealt with in that way.

airmyx

Established Member
I may need to do an Eric Cartman and freeze myself in snow until Fall 2011...

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
So many awesome games coming out next year! I think this year has been a bit of a lull in terms of gaming, I cant wait for this, Arkham City and also Uncharted 3.

I loved Mass Effect 1&2, my fav games ever. Cant wait for 3.

prvjoker

Prominent Member
So many awesome games coming out next year! I think this year has been a bit of a lull in terms of gaming, I cant wait for this, Arkham City and also Uncharted 3.

I loved Mass Effect 1&2, my fav games ever. Cant wait for 3.

Hey Commander Shepherd right? I'm you're biggest fan. Say would you mind signing this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom