1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masking your screen? / My setup (inc pics)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wozwebs, Jul 29, 2003.

1. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hi, I've recently (like loads of others) ventured into the PJ market and bought the AE-100. Now for a screen I purchased a Homebase white blackout roller blind. I was amazed by the quality of the picture and as I am currently in the process of selling my house I only rig it all up to watch a movie then pack it all away.

I balance the blind on top of my curtain rail, place the PJ on a fold-away table and just link up to my Tosh DVD player via component for the picture and through my new Marantz AV Reciever for the sound, curently only 2 speakers. Spent enough already :)

In the next house I will try and set it up full time (wife permitting :( ) so the question I ask is -

Does masking the screen with black bars at the top and bottom really make a lot of difference to the quality of picture or does it just help draw your eyes into the movie more?

Would it be easier to buy a 'proper' screen that has the black tops and bottoms than doing a DIY jobby?

Also has anyone moved from a blackout blind to a proper screen? If so was the difference in picture quality huge? I do notice a slight screendoor effect on light scenes like clouds in the sky etc.

Also I have read a lot on these forums about adding a Hoya Filter so I aksed in Jessops but the guy behind the counter was clueless. Does anyone have a product code for the best filter to suit the AE-100?

Here are some pics of my temp setup:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Cheers for any advice you can pass on to a PJ newbie.

Woz
    :)

2. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My two cents....

"Does masking the screen with black bars at the top and bottom really make a lot of difference to the quality of picture or does it just help draw your eyes into the movie more?"

I never tried black masking but I did build a screen with a proper frame around it and felt that this did indeed draw you more into the picture and make it a more cinematic experience. I definitely think that dark borders work this effect but whether there is a noticeable difference between a dark colour or actual black I couldn't say. MY frame is a medium-oak wood about 3" wide and the whole frame is mounted on a wall painted a deep oxblood red - plus I have total light control - so reflections and accidental light levels are low. Plus, bear in mind, that whenever you watch a 2.35:1 movie you'll have grey top and bottom bars which will never be the same darkness as whatever screen border you have so there'll always be some difference in shading and picture delineation.

"Would it be easier to buy a 'proper' screen that has the black tops and bottoms than doing a DIY jobby?"
    Easier - yes. cheaper - no. :)

"Also has anyone moved from a blackout blind to a proper screen? If so was the difference in picture quality huge? I do notice a slight screendoor effect on light scenes like clouds in the sky etc."
    I did have a proper screen before I built my own from blackout material and I can't say it made any difference to thinks like pixellation or screendoor. I think you should regard these as basic characteristics of the projector not the screen material. I have read opinions that say that on LCD projectors grey screen material can reduce screendoor but I found that grey screens just made my pictures look duller so that I didn't actually pay attention to the screendoor because I didn't like the dullness!
    If your PJ is like mine (HS10) then the slight amount of screendoor you might occasionally notice in large light scenes is a minor inconvenience for what it is a tremendous overall picture experience.

Enjoy...

3. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen borders help in a few ways. Firstly with any DLP projector the DMD has a border of inactive mirrors which although the introduction of the HD2 chip improves this, still produces a slight 'light halo' around the active image. With a border (darker the better) it will reduce this unwanted light output. Secondly it will improve your percieved level of contrast in the image..a kinda optical illusion your eyes and brain plays on you because of the constant integration of colours. The blacks in the image will integrate with the 'pure' black of the blackout and you will see a mixture of both...sounds weird but it works...honestly. Thirdly it will give you a nice edging to when the system is in-active on a fixed screen install.