1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masking a screen..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by museumsteve, Mar 24, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    so my screens up and now I want to look at masking/bordering the screen with black fabric.
    Does the fabric need to be away from the screen, is there any benefit to this.?

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    desperate to know an answer chaps. I'm planning on masking this weekend and really want to know if I should leave a gap between the screen and the fabric (away from the wall I mean) Would this give better contrast and stop light spillage more than having fabric simply around the screen..
    ..:)

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Don't see how that would work.

You could cast shadows over the screen, which you wouldn't want. If you move the masks to avoid that you'd get either light spill or 'soft shadows' at the edges of the screen.

I don't see any problem with having the masks smack bang on top of the screen.

Unless you actually want to move them away from the screen for practical reasons.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    okay mate, I thought I had read somewhere that having a little depth would increase contrast.. Damn internet, so unreliable..;)