Mary Poppins Returns Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Kumari Tilakawardane

Kumari Tilakawardane

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +198
    2. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +429
      Have Seats booked to watch this Tomorrow Evening, and before that a few hours in Dortmund's Weihnachtsmarkt:-
      stacks-image-b1c8531.jpg -If that combination doesn't have us in full Festive Christmas mode by the end of the Day, We. Are. Scrooge! :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    3. Wedlock

Wedlock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +159
      Saw this last Wednesday and I enjoyed the movie very much.....of course it's not as perfect as the original but enjoyable nonetheless.

I give it an 8.5.

4. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      Call me 'Grinch' but... It's been literally decades since I saw Mary Poppins yet so much of it is still etched in my memory; the wonderful mixture of live action and animation, the classic songs from the Sherman brothers, the uplifting story, the humour, Julie Andrews and yes, even Dick van Dyke's world's worst ever 'Cockney' accent.

Emily Blunt is as awesome as ever, but the problem with Mary Poppins Returns, all comparisons with the original aside (based on yesterday's late afternoon screening I wonder how many in the audience have seen it), is that it falls disappointingly flat. The songs are for the vast part instantly forgettable, with only one coming close to being a sing-a-long toe-tapper. The story is so weak to the extent that Mary Poppins herself is actually wholly dispensable until she intercedes at literally the last minute and the vast majority of the film, entire sequences, no matter how well filmed, staged and acted, have nothing at all to do with driving an actual narrative. It is also very hard to care about the main drama, the potential loss of the Banks' home, least of which is there is no real sense of danger and Michael, now a grown up, elicits not so much sympathy as the urge to give him a good slapping.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    5. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,469
      Grinch.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    6. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,149
      Well that was a snore-fest. I was hopeful when it started as it was bright, colourful and peppy but after around 20 minutes you could tell that this is a sequel by committee and it suffers massively. Literally everything has been pored over, written, re-written and compared to the original to see if it fits the theme, which it does...with all the charm stripped away.

The chimney sweeps are now lamp-lighters...yawn...their obligatory big song and dance is just weird, with some kind of pole dance mixed with stunt bicycle affair.

Worst of all the songs are all bland and now, only an hour after the end of the film, there's not one song which I could hum. Massive disappointment.

If you're planning to take younger kids I'd say give it a miss. Our screen was packed and and 45 mins in there were dozens of bored little brats rolling around at the front, whining. I'm guessing the only reason parents didn't leave early is that it's a brand new Odeon Luxe and they paid a premium for the ticket.

What I will say though is that it is better than the stage production of the original Mary Poppins, which is dire. I'm guessing this sequel is destined for the West End, too. I won't be going.

5/10

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    7. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,469
      In fairness, the chimney sweeps in the original were yawnsome too after the first six-and-a-half hours of 'Step in Time'.

8. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      Nailed it. I love Mary Poppins, love musicals, went with a friend who feels the same, and we were both bored and disappointed. I swear I heard one little girl, on her way out, asking, "Why, mummy? Why!?" It's also long as well as wearying, and I cannot help thinking the main impetus behind this film was a contractual obligation related to retaining the rights. Treat the kids to the original or Ralph Wrecks The Internet instead.

9. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      Who's grinching now? ;)

10. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,469
      Not me. The original is practically perfect in every way. The interminable 'Step in Time'
      bumbnumb-er is the only reason it isn't absolutely perfect.

...is the reason only superhero films will get made from now until the end of time. Enjoy.

11. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      It was probably in DvD's contract. Superhero films will end when audiences stop going. I've seen the studio roadmaps and, believe me, they are only just getting started.

12. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,469
      If people supported films like Mary Poppins Returns then maybe audiences would have an alternative to that genre. I thought it was a lovely return to a simpler storytelling style, shame to throw it in the bin for not reaching an impossible standard. Nobody expected it to ever have the same effect as the original- I sure didn't. Why knock them for trying?

What contract? The original is 54 years old. That's one long-ass contract if true. What would they do if he broke it? Take away his Wethers Originals?

13. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      MPR aims at a completely different audience. There is nothing wrong with a "return to a simpler storytelling style" but that still requires the story to be interesting as well as told well, two things I would say MPR could have done much better. I can assure you that Disney definitely expected it to have not only the same effect as the original, but more so, especially in this age of franchises, spin offs, TV-series, merchandising, mass marketing etc etc. No such studio film gets greenlit without all of these being taken into consideration first.

It would have been his contract at the time, although I am not being completely serious here. Nonetheless, DvD was considered a major film star and showbiz performer and that particular number rated as a showstopper, hence it getting the weighting and time it did. But the advantage of today's technology means you can simply skip it.

14. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,469
      I dont think the film was perfect (practically or otherwise). I summarised my thoughts on the other thread. FWIW I agree the story isn't as compelling here, although I understand the idea; tying into the depression era and giving us a 'race against time' imperative.

I still think it was laudable, charming and lovely. The innocent childhood depiction (as opposed to modern smart-arses), song-based set pieces (as opposed to explosions), a protagonist who's superpower isn't beating people up? Something to celebrate I'd say.

Not on us though. You and I (I'm assuming) grew up with the original. It's woven into our childhood. Even the most optimistic studio exec wouldn't expect it to beat those kind of expectations. As you say, they are aiming also for another generation. But I gotta ask, would modern kids brought up with Minions and Nintendo and shorter attention spans sit still for the original Mary Poppins in theatres? I'm not sure they would react to that, any differently than this.

15. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      Nobody has said anything about you thinking the film perfect and I agree, the film skews more English than American, in that the characters are definitely English and not Americanised versions. The idea of tying into the Great Depression era is good, as is the race against time imperative, but it is very underplayed and whilst the film is not a documentary there is, apart from a few mentions, no depiction or feel for that particular part of history.

A laudable attempt, definitely, and you clearly enjoyed it more than my companion and I did.

Definitely "on us". The title alone, Mary Poppins Returns is a direct appeal to us, the older generation, to revisit it, together with our children and grandchildren. Today's modern kids brought up on Minions and Nintendo would find the narrative structure and lack of pace even harder to sit through. But if we were going to, let us say, inflict a Mary Poppins film on them then I would opt for the original. As it is, the film is still in its opening phase so it is too early to judge. What would be interesting would be to compare its eventual performance with other modern musicals, such as The Lion King and Aladdin.

16. Jason72

Jason72

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +77
      Hi Lucasisking,
      Thank you for your comments regarding the movie as being laudable, charming and lovely.
      That's enough to draw me to the cinema to see it.
      If only I had a pound for every negative analytical review I have read on IMDB and then gone on to see the film and be pleasantly entertained. My reason to go and see MPR would be for an enjoyable fun couple of hours away from the daily grind.
      I don't have an issue with people giving their reviews based on their opinions but at the end of the day that's all it is, an opinion.

17. lgans316

lgans316
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,343
      These type of.films are not my cup of tea though I like films like Sweeney Todd and Sound of Music which has got many memorable songs

If you want to.be entertained from start to finish with some incredible sound just watch Aquaman.

18. HariSeldon

HariSeldon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +340
      Went to watch this last night with the family and we were completely captivated from start to finish! Tbf I could watch Emily blunt standing in a drizzly bus shelter wearing a bin liner for 2 hours and still be happy :D

I’d read reviews saying the music wasn’t all that but I thought there were some cracking tunes. The notion that a brand new soundtrack is going to instantly appeal compared a classic soundtrack that has had 50 years to permeate our collective popular culture is a nonsense. I’m sure in years to come many of the songs will be as well known as those from the original.

The colours popped, the costumes and set design were stunning and the animation had the polish and magic you’d expect from a modern movie.

My daughter finds the original ‘slow and old fashioned’ - her words, and I think she’s right to a large extent compared to the pacing of modern films. The old version may be MY Mary Poppins but it definitely isn’t hers. Just like my young nephews prefer the phantom menace to a new hope :eek:. Yes I know, I know, I’ve tried everything bar shock therapy to convince them otherwise :facepalm:

Go to watch this with an open mind and a young heart and I don’t see how you can fail to be charmed. At least you don’t have to suffer van dyke’s ‘cockney’ accent :cool:

19. piston broke

piston broke

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +181
      Wife and I have just seen it....
      Now sat in pizza express discussing the score. She is set on a nine and I'm on an eight out of ten:thumbsup:
      Wife says it's delightfully wonderful and I agree. Great fun:clap:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    20. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +429
      Also just got back from seeing it. We thought it was enchanting. To us, it walked the fine line of being respectful to the original without trying to "be" it. And I think some of the songs will become very popular over time. All in all, a 9.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    21. fluggy

fluggy
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      "PoshPish"... had been looking forward to taking my son to SpiderVerse or Aquaman. As a last minute "surprise", my 5 yr old niece invites herself along and hijacks the movie selection ...yup ... Mary Poppins. Within half an hour she was writhing with boredom, as was my son. Gave it an hour and was more than happy to use the kids' indifference as the perfect excuse to bolt. Dull.

22. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      You don't say how old your son is but SpiderVerse is superbly done. Aquaman is... well, read the review and comments here first and it might be your thing after all. If you are yet to see the latest Fantastic Beasts I found it a visual treat, far better than the majority reviews have it and, although it does help, you do not have to be fully versed in the Potterverse to enjoy or understand it.

23. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,962
      This wasn’t for me, I’m not a musical kinda guy (though I did like Greatest Showman) I just flitted between being bored and mildly irritated. I’m sure if you like musicals MPR will more than fit the bill though. 4/10

24. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      I have just conducted a scientific experiment / audience survey on myself. Because. How many songs can I recall from the two Mary Poppins films, no cheating, no looking them up etc. (So I might have misspelled or even misnamed one or two). But based on the you-never-know-it-could-happen scenario of armed terrorists breaking in and demanding at gunpoint that you name Mary Poppins songs or else...

Mary Poppins: Feed The Birds, Let's Go Fly A Kite, Chim-Chimney-Chim-Chim-Cheroo, Step In Time, A Spoonful Of Sugar, Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious.

Mary Poppins Returns: *Crickets, tumbleweed*. Although the one about the book-cover was rather nice at the time even though I couldn't hum a note of it now.

25. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,962
      ^ far be it for me to defend MPR, but it’s not a level playing field, the original songs have been around 50+ years. Yes there’s something to be said for a song to be instantly catchy, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll have legs.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    26. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      Insta-catch means it is more likely to have legs. The old adage about musicals is that the audience should leave the theatre with at least one tune to hum. Another difference is that in the original MP film the songs are embedded in the narrative itself, driving it forward, whereas in MPR they are are more time outs for a musical number.

27. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,469
      55 years vs a week??? Barnaby's right, that isn't remotely a fair fight. I don't remember the 'instacatch' with the original film, because there was no instacatch. I grew up with those tunes.

I'll agree on initial watch returns doesn't seem as memorable, but christ give it a chance. For the record however, I think The Place Where The Lost Things Go is as strong as the original's tracks. It's a beautiful song that actually has stayed with me.

Also I can't blimmin stand Step In Time.

28. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +429
      Yep, hate to say it - and I was full of Christmas Cheer having come straight from the Christmas Market, but I believe my eyes did get a little watery due to Winter Pollen during that song

29. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,469
      There's a lot of it about isn't there :)

30. HariSeldon

HariSeldon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +340
      Yawn

Trolling a Mary Poppins thread :rotfl: