Marvel's What If...? (Disney+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Interesting that you mention Spiderman struggling to lift a car without his Venom Suit as I think he managed to lift a train carriage in one of his movies with people still in it.
Are you sure you saw what you think you saw?

But, he does not lift it but holds it.

They keep messing with it but believe at present said to be able to lift 25 tons which should be easy to pick a car up if he can get the right grip.

I really enjoyed it! the voice acting was great and the animation was quirky!

The what if? was simple I assume just to entice people without going over board just yet!

although was a shame they did minor changes that lead up to the same ending as Captain America :/

Interesting that you mention Spiderman struggling to lift a car without his Venom Suit as I think he managed to lift a train carriage in one of his movies with people still in it.
No he didn't. He slowly brought it to a halt with his strength and the help of his webbing without which he would not have been able to do it.

Are you sure you saw what you think you saw?
They keep messing with it but believe at present said to be able to lift 25 tons which should be easy to pick a car up if he can get the right grip.
Exactly this ^^^. Especially when you consider that a ton of metal travelling at high speed isn't the same as picking up a static object.

The continuing metamorphosis of super heroes is obviously a commercial choice by Marvel / Disney like changing the design of the costumes worn by different super characters; new store merchandise makes money, something Disney is big on, I'm sure the ''What If'' characters will make an appearance on shop shelves soon.
Now if Iron Man was a God like Thor or Loki it would be a different matter.
This is a 100% logical argument which in isolation makes total sense. Unfortunately it bears no resemblance to reality. Not one of the "improved" female versions of established male characters is selling much of anything, not costumes, not toys, not shows. It will be interesting to see which direction they take with She Hulk and Jane Foster. I hope Taika knows what he is doing, much of the good will built up with Thor Ragnarok depends on it.

I think your last paragraph is trying to give a logical framework to how Captain Carter could be as strong as Thor and Hulk? Either way, she isn't, nor should she be.

Last edited by a moderator:
No he didn't. He slowly brought it to a halt with his strength and the help of his webbing without which he would not have been able to do it.

Exactly this ^^^. Especially when you consider that a ton of metal travelling at high speed isn't the same as picking up a static object.
I almost did a Magneto quote there.

He more or less does the opposite of this but the guy never be able to pick the plane up.

This is a 100% logical argument which in isolation makes total sense. Unfortunately it bears no resemblance to reality. Not one of the "improved" female versions of established male characters is selling much of anything, not costumes, not toys, not shows. It will be interesting to see which direction they take with She Hulk and Jane Foster. I hope Taika knows what he is doing, much of the good will built up with Thor Ragnarok depends on it.

I think your last paragraph is trying to give a logical framework to how Captain Carter could be as strong as Thor and Hulk? Either way, she isn't, nor should she be.
Actually, I wasn't thinking about Captain Carter at all, although I guess she does fit into the familiar meta human story framework that Marvel have exploited for years, a genre which sold a lot of comics, much like it sells a lot of Marvel and Star Wars merchandise for Disney. If anything this 'What If' animated Marvel series reveals the almost infinite potential of fantasy comic book characters which have been adopted by Superhero fans from all racial and ethnic backgrounds across the World for generations, genius creators like the late Stan Lee deserve all the plaudits they get.

Actually, I wasn't thinking about Captain Carter at all, although I guess she does fit into the familiar meta human story framework that Marvel have exploited for years, a genre which sold a lot of comics, much like it sells a lot of Marvel and Star Wars merchandise for Disney. If anything this 'What If' animated Marvel series reveals the almost infinite potential of fantasy comic book characters which have been adopted by Superhero fans from all racial and ethnic backgrounds across the World for generations, genius creators like the late Stan Lee deserve all the plaudits they get.

@GT One - What? Finally a bit of praise instead of endless derision and dissatisfaction?

Hats off to you sir!

@GT One - What? Finally a bit of praise instead of endless derision and dissatisfaction?

Hats off to you sir!
[Editied] No probs @VisionMan :)

There's a lot to parse and process here. But as you yourself have pointed out, your posts have little to do with Captain Carter.

So bottom line is I hope Captain Carter makes it to a live action show. Or at least a better animated one where Disney don't just make it look nice, but also don't cheap out on the animation itself.

If I was looking at this episode as part of the What If series then despite her Thor like strength, I probably prefer the 2nd half of Captain Carter. The call backs were fun, the animation seems better than the first episode (T'Challa looks better animated than Carter). But I don't like what they did to a few characters, especially the big guy and his daughter. Even in an alternate universe, this felt wrong. I do love the that he gets the same response to his plan no matter who he tells it to, that is hilarious. I suppose that is the power of the MCU Infinity Saga in that those characters now feel like canon.

But I look at this show more as a tribute and I can't fault a show for paying its respects. :)

I don't like what they did with the big guy. But I love what they did for the big "man".

download (12).jpeg

Even in an alternate universe, this felt wrong.

Even in an alternate universe if its not done the way you think it should be done you just don't like it and won't like it. As in a fixed state in space and time.

Isn't that what alternate universes' are supposed to be about? The series is called WHAT IF? after all? If you like it great, if you don't then fair enough. But it is a blast which in parts had me giggling my head off. Very inventive and enjoyable. Yep, thumbs up from me! :thumbsup:

Even in an alternate universe if its not done the way you think it should be done you just don't like it and won't like it. As in a fixed state in space and time. Isn't that what alternate universes' are supposed to be about?
You're being very absolutist about this. I don't think it "should" be done in any particular way. I just didn't like the way it was done. That's why I said it "felt" wrong. What's wrong with that?

You're being very absolutist about this. I don't think it "should" be done in any particular way. I just didn't like the way it was done. That's why I said it "felt" wrong. What's wrong with that?

Ha ha! Me? Bit rich that for an alternate reality.

@Coulson I'd like to point out post #55 where @GT One nailed it. If you didn't like it then fair enough but I thought it was a blast. The same as the first episode.

Its looking like futures will feature Ultron, Gamora, Hawkeye and an unknown. Who may possibly be an alternate Capt America?

@Coulson I'd like to point out post #55 where @GT One nailed it. If you didn't like it then fair enough but I thought it was a blast. The same as the first episode.
I have not said anywhere that I don't like this episode or the first. I've simply pointed out the elements I didn't like and expressed an overall preference. Secondly, GT One said that their comments had nothing to do with the show which is fine. But with that being the case I can't comment on what you think they "nailed" in reference to my comments which were specifically about the show and the direction Marvel are taking with it.

Anyway, I am looking forward to watching the next episode.

Absolutely loved that second ep, massive improvement above episode one. Voice acting in particular excellent, with a particularly wonderful turn by Djimon Hounsou, who by this showing has been wasted in the films. Works as a great send off to Boseman, who was excellent too. This one will be hard to beat IMO.

rewatched it last night with our lass.... the only thing i was a bit disappointed with...

when Thanos was getting a right hiding and Gamorra goes back for him i was hoping for a full on father daughter double team fighting off the obsidian order together... felt like an open goal for a huge win but it just didnt play out that way.

I’m really enjoying these a lot more than I thought I would, they feel like a reward for us marvel (MCU) obsessives who have watched & dissected the films multiple times & know every character/beat, music cue, Easter egg & every bit of background lore…they’re pretty wild in their concepts & I thought they might veer only slightly but they’re really going for it.
I was getting Misty watching this and hearing C. Boseman giving his last performance & what a tragic loss for him to be gone so soon from us & from a generation who loved him for so many reasons. F*** Cancer man!

So I think the 3rd episode is probably the best of the lot so far. There was genuine suspense and intrigue. I was watching waiting for the other shoe to drop. When I saw the Captain Marvel beeper I thought oh no.. But then nothing happened, the show carried on its path. Grace said she thought this was the weakest of the three. Perhaps she was expecting what I was expecting and when it didn't come to pass she was disappointed.

So of the 3 What-if episodes so far, Captain Carter follows directly on from First Avenger and the Agent Carter series which makes sense. If they hadn't made her so overpowered that would be my first equal preference. For the Guardians episode, maybe there was too much of a gap from when T'Challa was captured to when he became Star Lord for the rest to make sense. The logic of this Avengers episode flowed as well as Captain Carter but with an original premise and better overall story.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom