Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

GIF--Afraid-Scary-horrified-Jim-Carrey-GIF.gif

I enjoyed a few of the older Spiderman games - if they get this right it will be awesome!

It looks a lot like Infamous: Second Son, as in the moves and slo-mo when doing them feels very similar. I wonder if they have Sucker Punch's code, or just the styles are so similar?

It looks a lot like Infamous: Second Son, as in the moves and slo-mo when doing them feels very similar. I wonder if they have Sucker Punch's code, or just the styles are so similar?
Or is it a reskinned sunset overdrive?

If they nail the move set, this could be a whole lot of fun. Really enjoyed Second Son and First Light, so if it does go down those lines, that's a positive for me..

Some of the interviews on this have been interesting.

Marvel see this as a series of games collaborating with Sony and Insomniac. They will be console exclusive for Sony.

There will other Marvel tie-in games as well. It is not clear whether these will also be exclusive.

A partnership with Marvel could be quite lucrative for Sony.

If they nail the move set, this could be a whole lot of fun. Really enjoyed Second Son and First Light, so if it does go down those lines, that's a positive for me..

It's awesome that you enjoyed those games but you do realise they were made by Sucker Punch and not Insomniac, right?

Insomniac are the people behind the Ratchet & Clank and Resistance games.

Yeah, no worries, was thinking more in terms of super powers unleashed on an open world environment. With the added bonus of a spidey story line :smashin:

The older Spider-man 2 games was great. More recent-ish Saints Row 4 and Infamous show that open world mayhem and super powers are a good combination.

Plus, it's Spider-man, so I'll pretty much be sure to buy it. It must be better than the Beenox efforts.

Not a fan of spider man games but this does look pretty damn good . Love the movement ,looks very fluid.

Im SO looking forward to this,Im a MASSIVE spidey fan but im still waiting for the definitive Spiderman game and this is looking quite promising. I thought the Spiderman 2 and 3 movie games were good. Web of shadows was excellent. Beenox had great game with Shattered Dimensions and the first movie reboot game but the second was just so rushed.

Funnily enough i only last week beat Spiderman 2 for the ps2 after over a decade of quitting in frustration at the last boss.

What does everyone think of the new suit? Looks interesting.

I think its safe to say that Mr Negative will probably be in the game as all of the enemies have masks on that resemble his "inner demons henchmen".

Looking good so glad this isn't a rushed movie tie in of some sort, now if only they can get it on par with Rocksteady's Arkham series, taken from the Playstation blog

"From our first meeting, Marvel, Spider-Man and Insomniac have felt like a match made in heaven. So much so that for the first time in Insomniac’s 22-year history, we’re working on an IP that didn’t originate in-house. We love building big games, with incredible gameplay, deep stories, and beautiful graphics. Spider-Man is one of the most iconic and well-known characters in the world, and we’re thrilled to be given the responsibility to create a brand-new, authentic Spider-Man story.

Nope, this isn’t the same Spider-Man you’ve met before, nor is our game based on the upcoming movie. This is a more seasoned Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time, he’s struggling to balance his absurdly chaotic personal life and career. All while nine million New Yorkers depend on him for their safety… no pressure indeed.

This collaboration also allows us to quickly return to action developing on PS4. Having released Ratchet & Clank, we feel confident in our ability to create a showpiece for the console. And we’re downright giddy bringing Spidey’s acrobatic abilities, improvisation, and web-slinging to life. But we also want to introduce new elements that players have never experienced with Spider-Man, ranging from traversing with parkour and utilising the environment, to new combat and blockbuster set-pieces".

Looking good so glad this isn't a rushed movie tie in of some sort, now if only they can get it on par with Rocksteady's Arkham series, taken from the Playstation blog

"From our first meeting, Marvel, Spider-Man and Insomniac have felt like a match made in heaven. So much so that for the first time in Insomniac’s 22-year history, we’re working on an IP that didn’t originate in-house. We love building big games, with incredible gameplay, deep stories, and beautiful graphics. Spider-Man is one of the most iconic and well-known characters in the world, and we’re thrilled to be given the responsibility to create a brand-new, authentic Spider-Man story.

Nope, this isn’t the same Spider-Man you’ve met before, nor is our game based on the upcoming movie. This is a more seasoned Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time, he’s struggling to balance his absurdly chaotic personal life and career. All while nine million New Yorkers depend on him for their safety… no pressure indeed.

This collaboration also allows us to quickly return to action developing on PS4. Having released Ratchet & Clank, we feel confident in our ability to create a showpiece for the console. And we’re downright giddy bringing Spidey’s acrobatic abilities, improvisation, and web-slinging to life. But we also want to introduce new elements that players have never experienced with Spider-Man, ranging from traversing with parkour and utilising the environment, to new combat and blockbuster set-pieces".

Well I can rely on Sony to give a great game experience and a terrible film experience . This goes with type on first look.

Yeah. Possibly a little QTE-heavy on the end fight, but provided this is kept to a minimum and most of the combat plays out like the Arkham series type stuff, I'll be all over this.

The combat in the first half of this gameplay showcase looks great.

Was there really any doubt the fighting would be bad? I'm more concerned about the swinging. I was very underwhelmed with the little they showed :(

Was there really any doubt the fighting would be bad? I'm more concerned about the swinging. I was very underwhelmed with the little they showed :(

Looks great to me, love the extra dimension to fights you get thanks to your web shooters, combat looks far better than something like Assassins Creed Egypt for example.

Looks great to me, love the extra dimension to fights you get thanks to your web shooters, combat looks far better than something like Assassins Creed Egypt for example.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the fighting looked awesome and Spidey looked brilliantly acrobatic mixing hand-to-hand with webs. My concern is the web swinging. When he was following the helicopter it looked... clunky. I don't know, it just didn't seem that impressive.

One of the great things about being Spidey is to swing like a boss through the concrete jungle that is New York.

Really looking forward to this. Seems theyve really built upon the combat system that Beenox introduced with their Spidey games,shame they always had to meet deadlines with 2 of their games being based on the films though so often seem a little rushed.

The web slinging looks pretty good to me but we'll see more when we see some freeroaming in future gameplay vids. Like other have said i hope QTEs dont overshadow the combat,theyre great fun in moderation but can be used too much. Day 1 buy for me whenever it comes out next year.

From GAF.

So I'm not exactly calling this the Spider-Man E3 info thread since, well, there's presumably a lot that isn't covered here, but I noticed a few things in interviews.

• The game is singleplayer only.
  • The game is mostly open world, though there are some cinematic linear segments.
  • The open world is 4-6 times the size of Sunset Overdive.
  • You won't be killing anyone in the game.
  • There will be a lot of gameplay and story segments where you play as Peter Parker going about his day instead of Spider-Man. They say it will actually focus as much on Peter as it does on Spider-Man, but I don't know if that statement just applies to the story, or to the gameplay segments as well.
  • The mission from the gameplay demo will be a bit different in the final version. For example, they mention you save a lot more people in the actual game, and there are actually failure states, but for the purposes of the demo, they changed things up a bit.
  • They note that Spider-Man is 23 in the game, and has been Spider-Man for eight years, so he's pretty accomplished, though as you might have noticed in the trailer, far from 100% confident in himself.
  • They confirm that Miles Morales was the guy at the end of the trailer. They won't say if he's playable, but they mentioned he's there because they want to show this is a different kind of Spider-Man story.
  • They also note that Miles' role is much bigger than a cameo.
  • Marvel noted that they want their games to help develop their less well known characters as well, and Insomniac mentioned that Miles' inclusion was also part of this initiative. Marvel had previously noted that they view diversity in gaming as extremely important, so there's that factor as well.
  • There will also be villains beyond Mr. Negative and Kingpin.
  • They talk a bit more about the gadgets and how you can use things like tripwires on two people instead of just traditionally. They're trying to have a lot of combat options.
  • In case it wasn't obvious, this is not tied to any existing Spider-Man story.
  • For the most neurotic fans, Insomniac assures that the white Spider-Man symbol is meaningful and has a purpose that's explained in game.
  • They also note that the web swinging isn't normally QTE based, but that they use QTEs for cinematic moments.
Sources:
How Insomniac Games is creating new lore for The Amazing Spider-Man game
http://kotaku.com/the-new-spider-man-game-wont-let-you-kill-anybody-1796101031
Spider-Man's Free-Roam Manhattan Area Will Be 'Four to Six Times Bigger' Than Sunset Overdrive
E3 2017: Spider-Man developer talks story and open world; Peter Parker is the playable character
Insomniac's Spider-Man Will Be Set in an Entirely New Universe, Miles Morales 'More Than a Cameo'
Insomniac on delivering
Spidey's New Symbol In Insomniac's 'Spider-Man' Has A Purpose
Insomniac Talks About Spider-Man’s Villain and Cast of Characters « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

It's also been confirmed that web swinging is physics based which means if there is nothing for a web to attach to you fall until there is.

It sounds promising, however, I'm not getting too excited until we see some real city traversal.

There are still so many unanswered questions about the web-swinging. Is it just purely physics based or is it also skill based as well, like PS2 SM2.

Don't get me wrong, I will be buying this day one because in Insomniac I trust. BUT, the web-swinging needs to be perfect for this to be the definitive Spider-Man game.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom