Marvel's Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings (3 September 2021)

Rate me

• Total voters
Was a really surprised how good this was. Great entertainment as all Marvel should be.
The characters were strong and kept me focused all the way through.
A good 8.5/10 from me.

Shame the final act picture wise was shot or in post production done under overcast skies, the picture did not pop, as it was slightly muted, I guess this was on purpose as later it allowed for rain and water effects allowing the cgi Dragons and green screen human characters to hide and bend in convincingly

Black Widow
died in Endgame
which seriously hurt the film. Everyone knew going in that was the case, so most assumed an origin story (which it kind of was.) it really had very little to offer Phase 4 other than Yelena. So if you read the reviews you would probably give it a miss (if you were a general audience member and not a fan.) So it was an uphill struggle to start with...

Shang Chi was much better advertised, I lost track how many tv spots there were. It was hyped by most critics as one of the best Marvel movies (unlike BW which had average reviews) I really expected it to trounce BW because of its release timing, good reviews and people going to see it more than once.

I wonder if we will ever find out the US numbers for Disney+ buyers. That would solidify how much BW made in all. I know I can dream.
Agree with this. I only watched Black Widow because it was 'free' to stream. When I heard it was coming out my initial reaction was "why? Nobody wants that movie". BW needed to be released before End Game.

I finally watched Shang Chi today. I enjoyed the first half most. Lots of nods to old Chinese martial arts flicks, not least Crouching Tiger. The image generally popped and the sound made it an immersive experience.

However...

...a 'Chinese' Disney movie featuring dragons, cuddly other world animals, and just full of Eastern clichés (the stances, the old man, the village fighting back etc). Coupled with the Marvel template of somebody who's down trodden/losing in life BUT WAIT they're special.

If it wasn't the fact we finally have some diversity in Marvel world, this would've been a plain paint by numbers.

So Black Widow for me 6/10 and this got 6.5/10 for me. Both were so formulaic, I think Marvel has got incredibly lazy since end game. I did enjoy it but I know it's disposable and I won't remember it in 2 weeks.

Interesting. The majority have given it a 9.

I didn't like Shang-Chi that much, either, I'd give it a C+ or B-. It had too many unbelievable moments even within its own story world...
How was Trevor able to communicate with the chicken-pig? Why did the forest have a maze that opened once a year? Why were there roads in the forest maze that obviously had to be traversed by moden-day vehicles? How did the chicken-pig know the exact moments to navigate the maze? How did the driver know how hard of a left or right to take during the maze?
Shang-Chi getting hit by the rings in the chest by his father that sent him flying back several football fields, but somehow it wasn't a death-blow to Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi would have obviously drowned being underwater for several minutes like that. The "bubbles" allowed him to "breathe" underwater once he woke from being unconscious was ridiculous.
Then the riding the good dragon at the end for several minutes, why? And how did they hang on? How did his sister's weapon all a sudden have a super long reach to it with the rope? And Shang-Chi floated in the air somehow while using the rings against the bad dragon.
The movie just asked to suspend logic too much even within its own story world. I seriously got Fast and Furious 9 vibes from this.

The Assembled for this is up now on D+ and it's one of the best so far IMO - particularly watching the stunts.

Saw it this afternoon. Entertaining film with some great action sequences that wasn't as glum as some of the more recent Marvel films have been. They managed to keep it relatively light, which is quite an achievement given the underlying family drama.

Watched it last night, and while I can understand some of the criticisms about the ending CGI, it entertained me enough to give it pretty good score...

8/10 from me....

Watched it with my son last night on Disney plus and we both really liked it. Good action/martial arts scenes reminiscent of Crouching Tiger in some scenes and Jackie Chan in other scenes. Liked most of the characters although the story was a bit formulaic and predictable.

I thought the link to the MCU was a bit forced but I did like that.

Decent 8.5/10 for me.

Been busy with work and barely watched anything for months, but on hols now for 2 weeks, so started my catch up binge with this.

Enjoyable, but forgettable is how I would summarise it. Definitely agree that the first half was stronger by far, the fight scenes were tremendous, and the dialogue was actually pretty funny. As usual for Marvel it descended into a mess of CGI by the end, which went on a bit too long. They even had the usual bit where the hero faces an opponent with identical but different coloured powers.

So the basic origin story Marvel have to get out of the way to introduce a new character, but I can see it was doing some ground work for later movies with a new mythology and the mysterious origin of the rings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom