Marvel's Iron Fist Season 2 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Nice review to read @Casimir Harlow, as it echoed most of my initial impressions from the first 3 episodes to-date. These episodes seemed much more well-balanced than any other Marvel Netflix series to-date, and I hope accessible. I was also relieved to see the reduced episode count, as JJ and LC and Punisher had again proved a bit of a slog. Additionally the character dynamics and the fight scenes in particular thus far just have a slight sense of fun, which is welcome, as the tone of these series has always been pretty grim to-date. Sounds like the tone of the series may darken more through the rest of series, but for now I enjoyed the first 3, as opposed to endured the first 3 of LC S2.

I thought the first season of iron fist wasn't great. The Danny Rand character in particular is quite irritating and the Villain was dire. Good review here though so I reckon I'll give season 2 a chance.
I agree with the pacing issues. It has begun to feel like they're flogging a dead horse with some of these series.
I gave up on Luke cage season 2 after one and a bit episodes. Defenders was a bit of a mess. The best thing about daredevil was Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin.
Really hope they pick up the pace a bit with the new seasons as they're feeling a bit stale now, to me anyway.

Two episodes in and it's kept my attention better than any marvel series since daredevil season one. I only got two and a half episodes in to the latest luke cage and I was bored stiff, haven't bothered to go back to it.

And finally - the grain! It's been toned down massively, the nighttime city shots look spectacular, and seems to actually push the peak nits of my DX902, which is rare. Still some bad compression artefacts in interior low light scenes. Netflix need to do something about the inadequate bitrate.

Nicely balanced review Cas.
I get they want to re-balance things but my goodness female characters run amok in this. Misty pisses me off no end (with her unfunny Eddie Murphy-lite) and ultimately her wanting to use the Iron Fist to control Luke Cage, when she feels the need, further got my goat. Women do the heavy lifting mentally and, somewhat, physically more and more, and when the men do it's time to apologize - something of a theme in the Marvels, like a bad marriage.
Henwick's state-to-state floating accent had me raising my eyebrows as she couldn't seem to decide where to stake her flag but went all 'New Yoick' in supposed rattled/ballsy scenes more. And as the story progresses she steals ever more of Danny Rand's thunder by making her mark whenever. Finn does a better job with his character in this run, no doubt in part to the writing, when he's allowed to climb out from under all the women characters. But I agree with you Cas, Dhawan is bloody awful, to the point there's no real feeling of fear from his character or, somewhat, slight physicality. He comes off more as a petulant teen that needs to be sent to his room or he won't get pudding and not a real threat. And for someone supposedly trained in a mystic martial arts world, he barely gets away from his arse being kicked with regularity.
But Alice Eve, for me, was the best thing in it. Eve really brought the goods with her personalities by showing onion-like levels of emotional states. It was easy to feel sympathy one moment and fear the next as her character switched in it's own uncertainty of how to act in any situation.
It turns out that Danny and Ward, if only given the writing, have more gravitas, are fun together and, all but too late, work as a roving duo. It would be cool were we to get rather more of them in season 3 - I assume there will be one, what with the intriguing reveal ending.

Last edited:
I loved the first series, with its fish-out-of-water stuff and the big Rand Corporation storyline. I've struggled with the first two episodes of this...gang wars of Chinatown seem small beer compared to The Hand and Davos is totally inexplicable blackmail bait. Will persevere.
Oh, and the HDR10 presentation is excellent.

I have not seen the second series yet so have not read the review. I remember the first few scenes in the first series and turned it off immediately it was so bad. I did not get back to it until defenders was released. So had to force myself to watch the series to get an idea of iron fists character . He is just a bland actor and some bad writing which made things worse, compared to Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Dare Devil who are all brilliant characters and pay their parts very well.

I will watch this eventually but i don't have much hopes for it

Still like to thank Cass for his work on the forums look forward to your next review

I'm halfway through this - in my opinion it is better than the first series. As mentioned Alice Eve is good in this. Will persevere as a Marvel fan for decades.

Update - watched the whole season now. The last few episodes are some of the best I have seen on Marvel Netflix and with no spoilers the setup for next season is intriguing to say the least- George

Last edited:
5 episodes in and I honestly don't get the almost universal derision for this. Thanks for the honest review as usual Cas.

Watched the whole of season 2 and it is much better than the first. The last half of this season is by far the best in both seasons so anyone who has only seen the first few episodes I would advise to stick with it. Davos in particular certainly gets better as it goes along. One thing that is hugely improved compared to season one are the fight scenes, especially with Danny. In season one he looked so awkward trying to fight and for someone who is supposed to be such an expert looked amature at best. The fight scenes in season two are night and day better and the way they have directed the fight scenes certainly makes him look much more impressive and believable.

Having watched all of it now I'd say it's only really very slow in the first two episodes. I found Alice Eve's character very wishy-washy, not really bad, good, important(yet?) or all that interesting, but I'm hoping they commission a season 3. Season 2 is solid

Thanks @Casimir Harlow :smashin:
I could not bring myself to watch Iron Fist season 1 based on mostly poor reviews.
I caught him in Defenders.
I have watched Luke Cage season 2 which was ok (mainly as the character is likeable).
Jessica Jones season 2 was a bit of a slog (did anything actually happen lol ?).
But I will now give IF season 2 a go :thumbsup:
Bring on Frank Castle season 2 :cool:

After reading the review / comments I think I'll give Season 2 ago as I had to force my way through Season 1 as I'm a Marvel addict so 'have to' watch all these mini series even though some are way better (Daredevil) than others

Thanks Cas as always for the balanced review

Our household really liked the first Daredevil and were hoping for good things from the other series... But Once the first season of Luke Cage hit the writing was on the wall and after IF1, JJ2 and LC2 I feel they've done irreparable damage to our relationship - suffice to say I doubt I'll be watching another Marvel series, because they all seem to just walk it in.

I was sort off unsure at first, should I watch season 2 as season 1 wasn't very good, weakest I thought of the all range of Netflix marvel characters.
Thought what do have to lose plus there is no footy on the box this Sunday, so I sat down and slowly slowly started to get more involved this time thanks the characters of Mary and Davos.
Finished by the evening (Yes, all ten eps in one day, trust me I have done worse like 22 episodes of The Good Wife in 24 hours but that's another story)
Anyway, back on point. I loved it.
Mary and Davos made the season work for me, and nice to see Misty back in the mix (oh lalalala)
You never knew which way Mary was heading and Davos well once he got what he desired, the rampage began.. Trying not to give any spoilers away.

PS: Did you notice the color of the fists and thank you CAS, you're the man!

Enjoy.

Crikey, I loved the Good Wife, very addictive, bashed out about 7 episodes in a day, but 22!

Whole season of 22 in one day, I was on a high that day, off work, had nothing planned so I thought lets do this, can't remember which season it was, 5 maybe. Do I want to break that record nah or the men in white coats will take me away :D

Watched a few episodes now, and it is much better than the first series, but it doesn’t solve the fundamental issue that Danny is still by far the weakest aspect of the show. His superpower is rubbish and Finn Jones is completely unconvincing and rather unlikeable, although very fractionally better than his previous outings. The only thing that makes him look half decent is the feeble “villain”, Davos, who is so weedy he makes Danny look like the Punisher by comparison.

To be honest, so far I would rather have had a series just with Colleen and Misty, as they are both more interesting than Danny (and frankly I would much rather look at them). In fact just about everyone in this is better than the lead. Kind of reminds me of Angel in that respect, in that the supporting characters were always much better written and performed than Boreanaz’s bland Angel, but the show as a whole still worked.

Still the weakest of the Netflix Marvel shows, but a good looking show for sure, and watchable, even mildly enjoyable so far. Fingers crossed Daredevil S3 will be a return to form though.

Last edited:
Have now watched the first two episodes and so far so good, I think it was a good idea to limit the season to just 10 episodes. Should cut out any filler episodes.

Just finished watching season 2 and its far better than the first with a strong finish to boot.
But... what on earth were those final scenes about? And I mean that in a good way, which had me gripped. I get the yellow, red and white fists. But Coleen with a glowing sword and Danny back with not one but two Iron Fists? That lit his guns up?!? Personally, can't wait for season 3.

I binged on this a few days ago and really enjoyed it.

Tom Pelphrey is a stand out to me, He was also excellent in Banshee, Very underrated actor IMO.

Alice Eve also showed some great acting chops!

This to me is Marvels answer to Arrow, Worth watching but could get a bit slow/tiresome/repetitive with time? I guess we will find out in series 3?
Looking forward to seeing what Danny boy can do with the dual Iron Fists, I recall him seeing a video of an iron fist with 2 glowing hands in season 1 and the person being very formidable?

I liked most things in season 2, but not for the martial arts parts. They are completely pointless to me, I'm constantly fast-forwarding whenever a fight starts, and this isn't just in the Iron Fist, it's also in Daredevil, Batman, everywhere, martial arts are just pointless fillers in a day and age of guns and how pervasive they are in the United States. They make sense when fighting Superman because a bullet won't do anything to him, but that's about him, everyone else bleeds from a gun shot wound. It's also very very easy to notice which actors are waiting for the protagonist to be freed from his current engagement before attacking him, which makes the fighting even more unrealistic and pointless, unless if gratuitous violence is the point. They're paying extras for absolutely no entertainment value, unless you're really distracted and never notice them.

This season I really liked the actor that plays Ward and the character itself, you get deep into the problems that develop and keep on developing when you're your father's punch bag well into the adult life.
Can't really say the same about Joy, her character was very shallow this season, but dang that actress is pretty. I hope season 3 brings more out of Joy.

All in all I think season 2 is missable if you're strapped for time. If you skip it completely you'll figure out what happened in season 2 in the first episode of season 3 for sure. But if you really liked season 1 like I did, then do watch it, you'll enjoy it.

Finished this last night, on the whole I've very pleased with it. Arguably the strongest second season of the Netflix Marvel shows. Much better fighting this time round and the choreography was tight.

Good seeing a more contemplative Danny, Jessica Henwick absolutely stealing every scene she's in and Alice Eve was pretty convincing as Mary Walker. They even managed to make the Meacham's interesting this time round too! :laugh:

The final scene was a little cheesy, and telegraphed a mile away but otherwise a satisfying conclusion to a decent season. Looking forward to the third.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom