Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 AVForums Blu-ray Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Last edited:
Interesting!
I tried to watch the first one of these and though it was so bad I gave up!
Perhaps I will invest in this!

Thanks Cas :)

Definitely worth a revisit for those that turned off early in Season 1. It improved massively and turned out to be excellent.

I will be picking this up when it is around £15 and in a amaray case. Digipacks should have ended with DVD's

Contrarily, me and the missus have enjoyed it from the start and it's even better in season two. Ming-Na Wen can knock the crap out of me any time.

Hail Hydra!

Not only was it a slow starter those two techys annoyed the hell out of me apart from one or two episodes I did not think it got going till they made the big crossover with one of the Marvel films. Good job they had faith in the series and not cancel it un like The Event that got worse each week till the mid season break lost the vast majority of viewers and bounce back with an exceptionally great second half but too late to save it.
The second season looks as though there going to include more characters from the Marvel universe. Starting off with a foe of Thor and one of Hulks.

Really kicked off after the mid season break for me (which was about 4 months long). Not sure whether or not that tied in with Winter Soldier or not but from that episode in it was and is unmissable TV.

I quite enjoyed this, it was a slow starter but they had to do a few things and then they could tie them together later which they did well.

I don't think i'll be buying this though, not something i feel the need to rewatch, not yet anyway. Worth remembering for those that weren't sold and stopped watching, at the moment the lot can be had for free on 4OD and it's also on now TV if you have that, i know you don't get the extras but if you weren't convinced i'd recommend persevering to the 2nd half of the season as it won't cost you anything

Glad I stuck with it. Agree it was quite good towards the end of the first season. BTW I had a scan through the channels last night and am I correct in thinking that despite being on 4HD season 2 is not being broadcast in HD? Really annoying if so

Another one here that dropped in in the first few episodes. Will give it a second chance based on the review. Thanks!

Glad this review beckons everyone to give it another go. It has been desperately disappointing to hear so many of you didnt give this a chance due to its "slow" start which tbh didnt exactly seem slow to me but for sure it certainly sped up later in the series! Remember most well told stories begin with a "slow" start. The cast are so well defined (well acted too) and enjoyable though indeed takes a while to click on to their personalities. Sky, Coulsen, Mai, Ward, Fitz, Simmons are a superb Joss Whedon style set of characters from baddass to shifty to plain quirky. The storylines are so cleverly woven in with the Marvel movies and while maintaining a vibrant Marvel atmosphere, throws in some truly dark periods and knockout narrative punches that completely wrecks the confidence of our cocky abilities to suss out characters and where a storyline is heading.

It has become my favourite show of recent years and I hope it has a run of 4-5 seasons with a proper finish.

Tbh I thought Buffy took a couple of seasons to really get going.

The missus and I gave up after episode 3 on first broadcast. But, encouraged by word of mouth about how good it got in the second half of the season and tempted by the guest stars we knew were in both seasons 1 and 2, we gave it another go last weekend.

Wow. I don't know if we lowered our expectations so much that anything would have been enjoyable, but episode 4 onwards seemed considerably better. And then it went up a gear around episodes 9-10 and then again around episodes 16-17, transforming into a truly fantastic show.

We're up to date with season 2 now, which is just as fab. The only problem is that we have no episodes left to binge on!

The missus and I gave up after episode 3 on first broadcast. But, encouraged by word of mouth about how good it got in the second half of the season and tempted by the guest stars we knew were in both seasons 1 and 2, we gave it another go last weekend.

Wow. I don't know if we lowered our expectations so much that anything would have been enjoyable, but episode 4 onwards seemed considerably better. And then it went up a gear around episodes 9-10 and then again around episodes 16-17, transforming into a truly fantastic show.

We're up to date with season 2 now, which is just as fab. The only problem is that we have no episodes left to binge on!
A heart warming story ! Season 2 has been so much better ( US speed ) than the opening of season 1, I just hope people like you get back on board, really don't want it to get cancelled !

A heart warming story ! Season 2 has been so much better ( US speed ) than the opening of season 1, I just hope people like you get back on board, really don't want it to get cancelled !
We're watching at US pace too. Found the first two a little off but episodes 3-6 are right back on track. Noticed that episode 6 only had 4.5ish million viewers in the US (although not sure whether that includes on-demand and catch-up and the like). I hope that they can pull the viewership back up - would hate to see it cancelled.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom