• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Marvel animated Avengers TV series

brian s

Distinguished Member
Posted on Wednesday 08 October 2008
Marvel assemble animated Avengers team for TV series

Marvel Animation is working on a 26-part TV series The Avengers: The Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which will air to accompany the major 2011 movie.

Film Roman, whose credits include The Simpsons and King of the Hill, will produce the series, with Teen Titans' Ciro Nieli in charge. Story editor will be Christopher Yost, whose previous Marvel work includes the Iron Man Armoured Adventures and Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes.

Marvel's president of animation Eric Rollman noted that the new series "continues our plan to complement each of our tentpole live-action features with an animated series. This new ensemble series tracks perfectly with our 'Road to the Avengers' strategy."

The Avengers is expected to feature Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Giant Man and the Wasp.

redwing

Prominent Member
sounds really cool ive always been a big Marvel fan more so than DC when growing up . What kind of animation is it straight cartoon type ?

brian s

Distinguished Member
avengers-cartoon.jpg

I can't find any further info. Early days I guess. Quite a few sites have the above image.

Marvel Announces The Avengers… Cartoon - Screen Rant

Cheers
Bri

redwing

Prominent Member
Cheers mate
I dont remember The Hulk being an Avenger.

He was in a few groups especially when he became intelligent just cant remember him being an Avenger may well be wrong though as theer was prob well over 50 Avengers over the time even Spiderman was a reserve.

Good to see Wasp and Antman a couple of lesser Heroes

CrazyHorse

Prominent Member
I dont remember The Hulk being an Avenger.

Hulk was an Avenger in some of the very first stories back in the early 60's.

In fact that line up for the forthcoming animated show was pretty much the very first team I think. My memory is a little vague as it's been years since I read them, but I don't think The Hulk stayed in the team for too long.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Hulk was an Avenger in some of the very first stories back in the early 60's.

In fact that line up for the forthcoming animated show was pretty much the very first team I think. My memory is a little vague as it's been years since I read them, but I don't think The Hulk stayed in the team for too long.

Working from memory the original line up was Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk, Giant Man/Antman and The Wasp. Captain America joined around issue 3 or 4 and The Hulk left very shortly afterwards. The Hulk wasn't the version with Banner's brain. Ah, the memories.

All the best
Bri

CrazyHorse

Prominent Member
Working from memory the original line up was Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk, Giant Man/Antman and The Wasp. Captain America joined around issue 3 or 4 and The Hulk left very shortly afterwards.

I was nearly right then. :)

The Hulk wasn't the version with Banner's brain.

Really? I don't remember that! How did that work then?

brian s

Distinguished Member
Really? I don't remember that! How did that work then?

My memory is a bit bad on that one. I think Rick Jones was involved. He had a calming influence on The Hulk so could keep him in check. Something happened and The Hulk did off but Jones stayed with The Avengers/Captain America.

I think The Hulk was also in The Defenders with Dr Strange and one or two others. I can't remember if he had Banner's brain in that one.

Regards
Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
I found the following

180px-Avengersinline2.jpg

The group began with the random teaming of Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Wasp and Hulk, who joined forces to thwart the Asgardian menace Loki in response to a call for help from Hulk's teen sidekick, Rick Jones. Pym suggested the heroes remain together as a team, and his partner Wasp suggested they call themselves "something colorful and dramatic, like...the Avengers." The name stuck, and a legend was born.

Iron Man provided the group with financing and high-tech equipment in his dual identity as rich industrialist Tony Stark, donating his Manhattan residence to serve as their headquarters, Avengers Mansion. Stark's butler, Edwin Jarvis, stayed on as the mansion's principal servant and chief of staff, becoming a valued friend, confidant and advisor to the group. Stark also drew up a charter and by-laws to guide the team, and sought A-1 security clearance from the federal government, but he encountered resistance from the team's first National Security Council liaison, Special Agent Murch, and the general public regarded the new team somewhat uneasily. Much of this early skepticism focused on the monstrous Hulk, who soon quit the team in a fit of rage, but the group's image improved dramatically after they recruited long-lost war hero Captain America, who became the inspirational cornerstone of the Avengers. Thanks largely to his presence, the team won its A-1 security status and rapidly became the most respected super-hero team of its generation.

The Defenders

defendrs.jpg

The group was the brainchild of writer Roy Thomas (The Invaders, Infinity Inc.). The inspiration came from an earlier story Thomas wrote, which spanned the February and March, 1971, issues of Sub-Mariner. In it, Subbie teamed up with The Silver Surfer and The Hulk. Reader response to this unusual combo was such that Thomas pitched it as a regular series. It was nixed by editor-in-chief Stan Lee, who didn't want The Surfer to appear in a regular series not written by Lee himself. Thomas substituted Doctor Strange, and it was a go. The Defenders premiered in the first issue of Marvel Feature (December, 1971), a try-out title along the lines of DC's Showcase. The group quickly moved into its own title, with a first issue cover date of August, 1972. (Lee later relented, at least to the point of allowing The Surfer to appear in a few early issues.)

brian s

Distinguished Member
195px-Avengers-1.jpg

git-avengers40.gif

Marvel Avengers-40 years
Revisit and relive every Avengers comic book every printed covering over 40 years from September 1963 through December 2005. Over 535 complete printable comics, that's over 19,000 pages including all annuals. Read every single page as they were originally published-all the letter pages, pin-ups, bullpen bulletins and every single advertisement.

Windows and Mac compatable.

For more information please vist Marvel Comics, The Avengers - 40 Years of Mutant Super Heros

Quantity:

Our Price: $99.95

AramediA > The Avengers - 40 Years Marvel Comics DVD - ROM

Garrett

My memory is a bit bad on that one. I think Rick Jones was involved. He had a calming influence on The Hulk so could keep him in check. Something happened and The Hulk did off but Jones stayed with The Avengers/Captain America.

I think The Hulk was also in The Defenders with Dr Strange and one or two others. I can't remember if he had Banner's brain in that one.

Regards
Bri
Issue one of the Avengers The Hulk was tricked by Loki to destroy a train track and Thor, Iron Man, Ant and the Wasp went after him. In the end Loki was found to be behind the trouble and they formed a team The Hulk wanting to be in the team so he would not get hounded.
In issue 2 the fought the Space Phantom who in turn banished one of the Avengers to limbo and took over there bodies, at one point taking over the Hulk then swapped out but unfortunately for the Hulk he was though to still be the Space Phantom and resented being attacked by the others even being called unkind names and left the team. In issue 3 he had a confrontation with the Sub Mariner and then sided with him and fought The Avengers. Issue 4 Captain America was found in a block of ice I don't think he was in this issue but made a return in issue 5 when they used him rather than being a team mate. Then again I think he was not in the line up and more or less never connected with the Avengers till Ultimate Avengers came out.

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
Avengers004_medium.jpg

Avengers005_medium.jpg

1571_4_006_medium.jpg

1571_4_007_medium.jpg

avengerscovers4.jpg

Captain America was made a member and he stayed when all the other members were replaced by Hawkeye, Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch.

All the best
Bri

Garrett

I have that issue 16 an the one before with the rematch of the Masters of Evil with a slightly different lineup.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I have that issue 16 an the one before with the rematch of the Masters of Evil with a slightly different lineup.

I used to have them all. I think I kept on reading to well past issue 100. I wish I still had them.

Best wishes
Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the PM Garrett. :smashin:

I think I could well go for the DVD Rom. I assume it's in colour unlike some of the various reprints.

All the very best
Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
Posted on Thursday 16 October 2008
Avengers movie to feature battle against Hulk?

Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, who penned the screenplay for the first Iron Man movie, have suggested to MTV Movies that the first Avengers movie, due in 2011, could see the heroes assembled to battle the Hulk.

The very first issue of the comic book in September 1963 saw the trickster Loki manipulate the Hulk into a battle against other superheroes, ending with the Hulk briefly joining the team.

Fergus told MTV that he agreed with The Incredible Hulk director Louis Letterier that Bruce Banner's alter ego would be a good opponent for the film. "I personally like when good-guy characters have to fight each other,” he said. “Good guys going against good guys who both believe in an issue is way more interesting than a villain clearly into evil and I like when former friends become committed enemies.”

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom