Martin Logan, what is my best option?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by ATrain, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ATrain

ATrain
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a pair of Martin Logan ESL speakers and the C2 centre. I am having a hard time finding much on these speakers here but i was impressed with the sound and read some good reviews from comercial av magazines. I currently have a pioneer elite vsx-53 and will be upgrading to a Marantz 7008. I was thinking of moving to the B&w CM10s i listen to allot of music and watch blurays on my Panasonic vt50 hard part is i basicaly stole the speakers from the store as they where displays so the $700 US cant be beat. Would i see a significant improvement with the cm10s?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Can you give us the specific model of Martin Logan speakers? ELS is actually a series of speakers. Can I guess that you have the Martin Logan ElectoMotion ELS. They seem to be the lowest cost models with a suggested retail of about US$2,195/pr.

Current MartinLogan Products

MartinLogan ElectroMotion® Series, Premium full-sized electrostatic based home theater speakers

The Martin Logan ELS are a unique design, and if those unique design features appeal to you and serve your needs, then fine. The ELS are Di-pole meaning sound radiates from both the front and the back. In the right room with the right placement, that can sound very good. So, it is up to you to determine if the Martin Logans serve your needs and your space, but it seems you got them for a MASSIVE discount. It is hard to believe that anything can touch them for US$700/pr.

The B&W CM10 are pretty impressive speaker, but at US$4000/pr, they would have to be extremely impressive to beat the M-L ELS at $700. Price does matter, there is always a For The Money element to anything you buy. For the money, it is going to be hard to beat the Martin Logan, assuming that suit your listening space and taste. I would expect the rear projecting M-L to need a bit a space between themselves and the wall behind. How much room I'm not sure, but no speakers, and especially this speakers, does well pushed up against the wall.

If you do get the B&W CM10, what would you do with the M-L ELS? Move them to a new location, sell them off?

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard