1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martin Logan Descent

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by golden, Dec 13, 2002.

1. golden

golden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I will buy a Martin Logan Descent subwoofer. Do you think it is a good subwoofer? Will it be better to choice Monitor Audio FB212 or JBL TiK?
    Hope you can help me.

2. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    What do these cost???

I'm pretty sure there'll be an upcoming review by KK in Hifi News of this sub - I know he's been running one for a while. OT - there's also an upcoming review of the Due speaker. It will be interesting to read what KK makes of that, but according to his hifi show report he sounded quite keen to try it. This should be the speaker to see Mr A. Gallo alright!

3. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KK has already reviewed the Descent in May 2002's edition of HFN. It costs £2898 RRP. He concludes with:-

"... Sure, the Watch DOG is bigger, the RELs are better value, the Sunfire is smaller and easier to hide. But hey, the world is awash with great subs. Only now you can add to that a subwoofer that sounds amazing and looks as good as it sounds. Never did I think that a compliment could take the form of 'Martin Logan's expertise is in the descendant'..."

There is also now a baby brother to the Descent called the Depth. It was on show at the Heathrow show for the first time this year. Not sure of pricing but you could always ask your friendly dealer... ;)

4. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Oops... I normally read HFN religeously... dunno how I missed that one :blush:

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Now I don't want to upset anyone here I'm just curious, but why would you buy one of these instead of say an HGS-18? or even for that matter a Servo 15 (the specs are very similar).

Cheers

Dave

6. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Well if you don't want to upset anyone then why not make your post a suggestion, or even better a recommendation, rather than an implicit criticism ("why would you...?). Then you could enlighten us with your reasoning and give us something to look at.

Personally I have to say that if someone comes on here and says "I'm gonna drop £3000 on a subwoofer" without any info or background then it worries me. Is this person a complete n00b who's won the lottery? When you're in the market for equipment of that quality and cost then you need some serious advice. Glib comments about Godzillas don't cut it.

So I guess you've upset me ;)

Golden, I dunno if you've posted other threads previously and/or whether your set up is so well known we could all help without further information from you but it would be handy to know what you are using now, esp speakers and subwoofer(s), the size and layout of your room and what's making you think you'd like to buy a new subwoofer. What attracted you to those particular subwoofers? Are there particular aesthetic or compatiblity issues you think might affect a decision? Are there any designs or makes you've discounted? Perhaps you could share your thoughts with us on that?

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeez someone gets a bit tetchy when there're up late don't they! My question was a genuine one. I'm sorry if it offended you, it wasn't my intention.

I didn't know if there was some sort of feature I was missing on the sub that made it special or it was an aesthetic or space restriction.

If none of these are a consideration then I for one would go down the Velodyne route. Technically better performance (I haven't heard the Descent to compare but on paper the Velodyne has the edge in almost every respect) The build quality of the Descent does look exceptional but even there that big'ole HGS-18 is built to perfection too and even though it's just a big cube, the finish in that piano black is lush to say the least and also it's cheaper! Even at standard UK RRP let alone Eric's power buy price. I mean how often do you get to say that about the HGS-18.

If I had the money it would take something seriously special to make me buy anything other than an HGS-18.

Cheers

Dave

8. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an owner of a complete Martin Logan setup except for the sub, perhaps it would be useful if I gave my reasons for choosing the Velodyne HGS18 over the ML Descent, which I DID consider for a while.

Having previously used a REL Stentor II which has a 200W amplifier and a 10" driver in a big ported box, I had been rather disappointed in terms of its reach, power and distortion levels. I had therefore come to the conclusion from several discussions on these forums that to achieve clean distortion-free bass, you really need powerful low-distortion amplification, a big driver & sealed enclosure, preferably servo-controlled.

The Descent is more powerful than the Stentor (400W), is servo controlled and is in a big sealed enclosure. So far so good, but it uses three 10" drivers rather than the HGS18's single 18" driver using a 1250W amplifier.

The paper statistics showed that the HGS18 goes nearly a full octave lower. Doesn't tell you everything I know, but I only use the sub to fill in below 40Hz in my system anyway, so the ability to go much lower, particularly with my love of organ music is important. I didn't believe that the Descent could match the HGS18 here.

The Descent MAY, and I stress MAY, be a more musical sub. Martin Logan know what they are doing - I wouldn't have chosen them for the rest of my system otherwise. But in the context of my system the sub is not filling in much for stereo music and sheer extension is more important to me. I never got around to auditioning the Descent, but I don't feel the Velodyne is likely to be outgunned in this respect and I don't perceive any other real weaknesses. It integrates with the ML's very well.

The Descent is undoubtedly a prettier sub than the HGS18. one of Martin Logan's principal attractions is their unusual styling. They also happen to sound good as a bonus.

At the powerbuy price the HGS18 was too good an opportunity to miss!

Poda has a Descent I believe and has also heard the HGS18. It would be interesting if he posted his thoughts on the differences. For myself I don't regret my choice at the moment. They are both great subs. :)

9. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Er, yeah, it was late... sorry! :D

(and it's they're not there're :p )

10. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    and it's religiously not religeously;)

couldn't resist, sorry:D

11. golden

golden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your answers.
    My mainspeakers are System Audio 3070, rearspeakers are System Audio 2070, centerspeaker System Audio AV70. You can read about System Audio on website: http://www.system-audio.com/ if you want more informations, but my speakers is no longer in stock. My amplifier is a Yamaha DSP-AX1 and I have a Pioneer DV-747A dvd.
    I have a Rel Q400E now. I think it is very good for surround. But not so good for HiFi.
    My dealer has a Martin Logan Descent - demo (only used 4 month) - to 3.080 EUR. For a new I must pay 4.400 EUR.

I hope you understand my english. I am sorry.

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask what the price of the HGS-18 would be in Denmark?

13. golden

golden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price of the Velodyne HGS-18 in Denmark is 27.999 d.kr. = about 3.730 EUR.

14. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i have the monitor audio fb212 and for the money (£1400) i beleive it to be the best sub i have heard at that price. before i get flamed though, i listened to it against a rel stadium, m&k mx150 and an m&k mx700. i found the fb212 to be the fastest and tightest bass, although it didn't lack in outright depth. never heard any velodynes and everyone seems to rate them on here. its worth listening to all that you can and make sure your dealer sets them up properly because even the best sub setup wrong will sound bad.:)