1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martin Logan Center Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by marck, Dec 19, 2002.

1. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone compared the Center to the Theatre? All views / reviews appreciated.

I am looking at purchasing a pair of Aeons and a center speaker in the New Year.

2. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Someone must have compared these two center speakers....

3. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marck,

By Center, I assume you mean the Cinema.

I haven't auditioned the Theatre yet, although I am considering swapping my Logos for one at some point. I suspect that the Theatre is pretty near in sonic character to the Logos.

When I bought the Logos, I did compare it to the Cinema and I preferred the sound of the Logos. It was a bit more expensive but I found that it matched the open-ness of the larger Logans better than the Cinema which I found to sound a bit 'boxy' by comparison, particularly if pushed hard.

The Theatre has a higher power handling capability than the Cinema (250W as against 150W). Both are punishing loads for any amplifier, as are all the ML family. I hope you have some quality amps to drive them with. ;)

If I were you and you can stretch your budget to accommodate the Theatre (not to mention finding physical room for it - it's huge!), then I would tend to go for the Theatre. By all means try them both in conjunction with the Aeons though (which again I haven't heard). After all, you are trying to achieve a seamless front stage and the Cinema may just work that bit better with the Aeons.

As for finding other opinions on ML's, I am only aware of two other members here that have them so you probably won't get that many replies. :(

4. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Charlie,

Thanks for that (and yep, I did mean Cinema!). I am going to audition them in the New Year so will provide feedback after then.

Regarding amplification, I am using a Copland CVA 535 - just had it installed the other day - very nice piece of kit.

I am using a Theta Carmen CD/DVD Transport with a Lexicon MC1.

It will be interesting to see how they work with the Aeons - to be honest if I was going for the Theatre I would probaly have to get a second hand one though.....and I know they are extremely difficult to get hold of!

5. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Charlie,

If you do consider swapping your Logos for a Theatre I may be interested in the Logos....just a thought anyway!

Rgds.

6. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marck,

I was thinking of suggesting something like that! I'm not really ready to do the swap yet though. There are a few other tweaks and upgrades that I want to make to my system first - all I need is the cash. So it may not be practical for you to wait, but I'll keep it under consideration. ;)

7. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Charlie,

I am in no particular rush - to be honest I couldn't do anything until end of Jan / beginning of Feb anyway.

Just out of curiosity, how old is the speaker? I take it, it was ordered from Acoustic Arts?(My dealer too)

Rgds
    Marc.

8. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc,

My timeline is looking rather longer than that I'm afraid!! Building a system at this level on limited means is not achieved overnight. :(

The receipt from AA was 26/03/98 to be precise. Although the panels do degrade gradually over time, there is no apparent deterioration at the moment and I reckon they should be good for another 5-6 years before replacement becomes necessary. Replacing the stators is 'relatively' cheap and easy to do as well, so long term reliability of these speakers should not be a major problem. However, this is obviously not what you would expect from a more conventional design. One of the factors to weigh in anyone's decision to opt for these fine speakers. They do have their redeeming features though. :cool:

9. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just as an estimate when do you think you would be looking at changing the speaker?

Also, what kind of price would it be - I can then weigh up whether it would be worth waiting for the Cinema or going for the Logos?

Thanks again.

10. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't really say. But most likely not for another 6 months or so.

I guess I'd look for around £900 as this is about half what I paid for it. :)

11. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that - I will def keep it in mind.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the record I did borrow the Theatre from AA in the summer to compare at home with the Cinema.

The Theatre really is a different proposition entirely and I have to say, the best centre channel I have heard from anyone to date. It has the same toal signature as the mains (in my case Ascents) and produces that same sense of scale and effortlessness so loved by Logan owners. It is however, incredibly large and in my room just about filled the gap between the Ascents.

I would have reservations about something like the Copland driving it however, it really needs the likes of Theta Dreadnaught/Krell as a starting point.

If I had the room, I would now be listening to the Theatre no question. The Cinema is OK but does not match the main Logans properly, sounding more like a traditional dynamic speaker. Sadly I now live in a rabbit hutch so all this is immaterial to me:(

Regards

Michael

13. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Michael,

That is interesting. To be honest I think the Theatre will be out of my price range, however I am interested to hear how the Cinema would fit in with the Aeons. A trip to AA next year should answer that question.

I am also considering the Logos path - again not sure how it would fit in with the Aeons - but will definitely be looking at that route (will be keeping Charlie updated).

I am not sure if the Copland could drive the Theatre - I bought it more in mind for the Cinema - I am sure the guys at AA would give some advice though. Mind you the Copland is very very good - and I have not even run it in properly yet.

Rgds
    Marc.

14. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI Charlie,

I sent you a PM with some more info regarding the LOGOS.:p