1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marrantz SR 4300 vs Sony STRDB780

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by electrify_dizz, May 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I just went into Richer Sounds and test ran the SD 4300 and the STRDB780. I was wondering if any of you thought one was better than the other.

My personal view was the Marrantz was far superior for movies. It literally blew me away, where as I didnt think the Sony had any real kick to it. The sony, however, was a touch better on the music front as it used all four speakers, rather than just the front 2.

I tested it using the libert 5+ front speakers, the eltax symphony 4.3 rears, and the liberty centre, and personally felt they were really good. My only down point was they didnt have any mission sets in for me to compare with.

Any views on the speakers or amps would be greatly appreciated, as I am aiming to make my decision ASAP and go and get the kit!!!

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Using 2 or 4 speakers for music is down to how the amp is set ... the Marantz will do it just as the Sony did. Also short term listening you may preger the 4 speaker music ... but often when you get it home people prefer traditional 2ch for normal music.

The Marantz has advantage of being able to use a 6th speaker to use extended formats (DD-EX and DTS-ES)

Vikki