1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marrantz Hollywood Or Denon 500sd

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by rufus, Dec 26, 2004.

1. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any views on the Marrantz Hollywood system or no where
    I could find a review ? Also how does this system stand up against the Denon 500 sd ?

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You could try buying a home cinema mag or looking to see if there are any reviews on this site. I know the Denon is excellent because I have it.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've had a quick look at the Specs of the Marantz system, and at around £700 it seems like poor value for money.

Compare the two systems:

The Denon has a fantastic quality DVD player and can output PAL Progressive Scan. The Marantz may only do NTSC Progressive which is probably virtually useless to you. However one site says it does both..? Worth checking.

The Denon has more power and is capable of running a full 7:1 surround and therefore also has ProLogic IIx. Neo 6 etc. The Marantz doesn't.

The Denon is built beautifully with fantastic quality speakers. The Marantz looks like a £75 Bush. (no disrespect to Bush)

The Denon can be purchased for £399. The Marantz...........

This is an absolute NO CONTEST.

Jimmy

4. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Denon. It has 'what hifi product of the year' and at £428 (inc. multiregion and delivery) its a bargain compared to the marantz.

5. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MANY THANKS , JIMSAN & HULLUPELLE
    LOOKS LIKE IT'S THE DENON THEN. THE ONLY THING IS, I WAS REALLY AFTER
    A SYSTEM WITHOUT THE WOOD EFFECT. CAN YOU THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE THAT MATCHES UP TO THE DENON FOR SIMILAR MONEY ? :lease:

6. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if it is just spin, but the people in Sevenoaks (who stock both Denon and Marantz) told me that the speakers on the Denon were pretty poor whilst those with the Marantz are far, far better.

Appearance is a subjective thing - for what it is worth I thought the Marantz looked pretty good up close and did look "more expensive" than the Denon with the pseudo wood effect.

But it does appear to be overpriced still...

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    The hollywood does do progressive on both pal and ntsc and it does have a better speaker system than the denon.It can be had for £640 delivered from empire direct try and get a demo of both systems if you can.If you only want 5.1 the marantz is still a good buy at the above price.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    PS ive seen the marantz in the flesh and it doesnt look cheap imo.

8. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    These two systems were the one's that I was considering when I purchased my "all in one" (moving "down" from seperates)
    I was tempted by the "Hollywood in a box" because my seperates had been Marantz and I was very impressed with the sound quality.
    In the end it was the price that swung it for me and I went with the Denon.
    No real complaints with the system. I wasn't immediately bowled over by the wood finish of the 500's speaker system but to be perfectly honest once in situ I don't even notice it now.
    I find the system a little lacking in "oooomph" when listening to music but it's a bit unfair to compare it to my previous set up.
    Certainly have no complaints when watching DVD's. The picture quality is excellent and the sub is plenty powerful enough in my medium sized living room.
    Had I had the extra two hundred pounds at the time though, I really think the Marantz would be sitting under my TV.
    Rob

Oh! And having seen the Marantz first hand I have to agree that it is quite a good looking piece of kit. Doesn't look cheap to me to be honest. But what do I know!! :confused: :confused: