Marrantz 2226BL Repair

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Moley159, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Moley159

Moley159
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

New to the forum and a bit of an Audio layman so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place or if I'm asking dumb questions!

I've recently inherited my grandfathers Marrantz 2226BL. I hooked it up to my uncles Tannoy bookshelf speakers and when I managed to get anything out of it was utterly blown away by how good it sounded. Unfortunately it isn't working well, specifically you need to turn it right up (antisocially loud) to get any sound out of the speakers, speaker channel 1 isn't working at all and several other functions seemed to have limited functionality.

I looked in to potentially carrying out repair work myself, but the only guide I've found online was this one (Marantz 2226BL | Audio Vintage), and even after it was translated from French I found myself lost after the first few steps, hence have decided I probably shouldn't pursue that as I would probably do more harm than good.

I took the unit to Richer Sounds repair service (£40), who sent it back saying that the "volume potentiometer, speaker switch, input selectors ETC are no longer available as spare parts therefore returned as Beyond Economic Repair".

The amp has quite a lot of sentimental value to myself and other family members, so I would love to be able to get it back to full working condition, however unfortunately I am not in a position where I can keep throwing money at it. So, the questions raised are:
    • Is the parts no longer being available a showstopper or is there a feasible way around this?
    • Even if there is, are we walking tens or hundreds of pounds?
    • Can you recommend somewhere in Bristol/South West England who might be able to look at this for me?
    • Any other thoughts/guidance?
    Thanks in advance for responses and apologies for the wall of text!

Joe

Attached Files:

2. eastsoutheast

eastsoutheast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I hope this is not breaking any rules as I am just trying to help out a fellow member.

I would also try submitting a thread on hifi wigwam as there are loads of owners of older equipment and knowledge of many repairers of older equipment.

Best of luck.