Marquee 95xx Owners Thread

Hey guys, any opinions on screen gain? Looking for new material because I feel like my 1.0 gain is way too low and it has a nasty spot in the middle anyways.

Survived Waynapicchu and Machupicchu.
Go to youtube and wach Peru 8K.
20200116_153521.jpg
20200116_181340.jpg

Anyone doing repairs in the UK (Manchester). Powered up my modded 9500lc tonight and there was a bang..

Just calibrated 9500 to 2.3 gamma and prefer it much more to previous 2.6.

Also Sad-Spyder not reading IRE below 15 lol.

IMG_20200212_004013-1152x864.jpg
IMG_20200212_004044-1152x864.jpg

i would recommend you to target a 2.4 gamma, and the spyder probes are so much off that its basically not usefull for projector grayscale and color calibration sorry.

You could try possition the spyder in the center of the screen pointing it to the projector, if you have no seflection or light from that part of the room, and move it as close as you can to the projector, before it maxes out. That should make you able to measure lower levels better, and the 1-2-3-4-5% IRE gamma and color tracking is very critical area of the calibration.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that's definitely the next thing I'm gonna invest to. I've used both spyder and phone app to get an approximate results, but looks ten times better than eyeballed to me.

Also, I've noticed that some blu rays have very different black levels, so I'll prolly keep this 22 point setup and just use global gamma in madVR to compensate for lighter black level movies.

blu ray has always been a very stable format regarding black level, so if its unstable i think you should look at your videochain, and try not to mdigitaly manipulate the gamma and grayscale more than needet, meaning set a startpoint like 5% IRE and 100% ire using the projectors G2 and drive adjustment, avoid digital gamma adjustment in the low level, see to they track very well without.

The more digital correction you use, the more it makes sense to just get a digital projector, as one of the qualities of CRT is its bitresolution capabilities, wich digital correction will mess up to some degree.

I tried my best with the G2 and drive, but my blue tube is at a point where i unfortunately need to do a lot of work digitally on the htpc 22 point greyscale correction on blue to get it right.

But alright here's a question if I ever get to change the blue tube: how do you set the gamma to reference using mainly PJ's own drive/g2 settings without touching much digital correction and also making sure 0ire is 100% black?

Thanks

The blue tube will always have a quite agressive blue bump, thing is to be able to measure low light, and correct it from 0% ire and up, not 20% ire and down.

I never manipulate 0% ire, so my guess is that with PC you set 0-255 out of the pc, and then depending your vims noise floor you select 0-255 or 16-235, standard vim normaly 16-235 as that let you lower brightness, clipping more of the noise, you set the g2 with a 5% ire 10% window, see its nicely looking on screen, and the raster is slightly elevated looking into the lens on all 3 tubes, thats a good start point start point

Thanks, that cleared some things up. I've calibrated PJ's drive with 100ire and g2 with 0ire and pluge, just viewing that the raster is slightly elevated and pluge bars just visible and all tubes turn on at the same time. Definitely being able to measure the low ires such as 5% should be helpful.

But doing that caused me 2.77 average gamma which is super dark. Sorry, still a bit confused here. What should I do to get that to 2.4, not using digital correction?

You will get something around a 2.6 gamma native, and you will have to correct that one digital if you want lower, just never touch 0% Ire. you need to use the 21 point gamma correction and straighten up the gamma curve without messing with 0 and 100% ire, you might run your brightness a bit to low, you do need a bit of light on the raster, just to the point where it dont visually seen on screen, and should you light up the screen slightly having a 300000:1 on off contrast, its no disaster.
Here is a native CRT grayscale/ gamma. followed by a grayscale corrected one, then gamma corrected, and in the end how that looks turning off the meter correction.

Native CRT.png
corrected grayscale CRT.png
corrected gamma CRT.png
without probe correction CRT.png

OMG... CRT is still the king in 2020:thumbsup::clap:
10 years more?

For sure phosphor is still the king in 2020. Digitals look nice for what they do.😋

20200320_194906_HDR.jpg
Funny movie

Netflix
20200330_172809.jpg

Evil extinction

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom