Marquee 95xx Owners Thread

Stridsvognen

Suspended
when you do flare magnets on blue and red you might like to go in and set the drive up, like in the 3200K so thats a flare setup profile.
When i set flares i put sungleses and look into the lens and set it as good as i get it while adjusting focus up and down, its a balance, and you will most likely never get it to stay still while adjusting focus, more important is the dot is round and spot centered both over and underfocused, but i never run 0-100, if mu optimum focus is 50 i might go from 20-80 max, and then step back to the screen look true the lens and confirm its looking good, and from 2m back you have super magnification on the spot ur looking. preferable have 2-4 pole flare magnets, the 6 pole flare is often making it more confusing to adjust, and rarely any improvement.

I never used the contrast modulation, always pull that board out, ill try put one in my projector, doubt it works with my boards as well.

I have a ADG1233 switcher chip on one of MPs miniboards, but changed most of the stuff around it to make it work properly, and hope Gabor gets a different switcher add on board up running, as his aproach is much much more professional and clean.

My neckboards are standard old style electrohome neckboards, where the ferite is removed, and the input peaking removed, and gain changed so u run your contrast around max instead wich makes it go brighter and a more linear bandwidth response from 0-100% IRE. And the fun part is that it then performs significantly better than any moddet neckboard i ever seen. You just need to test that the neckboard performs properly , wich is not always the case, so at times i trashed around 40% of the neckboards as they were not worth spending time on, mostly those with heat damadges, or later specifically 2004 and forward build neckboards.

meemil

Novice Member
Wow that's a lot of information! I like your approach on cpc magnets. I have the 6 pole ones, guess I have to get used to them. About the neckboards, are the input peaking, ferrite removal and gain modifications custom stuff you've done? If so, I'd really appreciate if you could go little more in depth how that's accomplished, I'm intrigued! I'm now taking only the resistors from MP's neckboards and replacing the carbon comps in original boards. I don't see anything else worth saving there.

Also Greg, gotta agree on that. Your shots speak for it too.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
dont touch the original G2 line resistors, thats one of the MP pitfalls, leave the original ones in place please. There is nothing you need from the MP boards, nothing at all.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Just got 2 more projectors up on the wall, will get the last 2 up soon.
20190721_161022.jpg

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Yes its foam from a 2011 build machine, so most likely some of the last ones.
I do have a white Vidikron Vision One case ill like to paint black and put on.

meemil

Novice Member
White Vidikron vision? Never seen one, sounds damn nice actually. I'm positive I have one of the wackiest Marquees out there lol
IMG_20190127_123748.jpg

meemil

Novice Member
Greg, is that a raw picture from a BD player (no sharpening on player's side or anything)? Looks good.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Had a very interesting day calibrating and profiling yesterday.
Thanks to Didrik for comming down from Norway to play, it was a very productive and educational day in the overheated HT.

20190725_221048.jpg

Diddern

Was really fun and interesting to share experience and meet.
Hope you take a trip to Norway also sometime soon.
Your Marquee was really good. I do not swap it for the NX9 hehe:), but this is a really good CRT setup. Clean, sharp, not proceeded just pure, and correctly calibrated, that does much on a CRT.
Realy liked it. And black as always on a correct out of black CRT stunning.
I will think not many have this good CRT set up in their home. A Marquee just like that will be accepted for shore in my cinema if I had the room for it, so just let me know if you suddenly want to donate Kurt lol :)

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Well now you know what the power of native contrast, and a native color gamut tracking do for the image, with a little trickery, and a lot of fiddeling.

Maybe ull like to post some of the measurements and share your thoughts of whyit measured as it did, and what could be improved.

Diddern

Yes, I can do that. At least my thoughts. Need to be some later this weekend. :)

greg9518lc

Yes, I can do that. At least my thoughts. Need to be some later this weekend. :)
Sounds like you both had a lot of fun with crt and digital also sharing calibration ideas. Look forward to the numbers. Bet you had fun with your test clips.

Diddern

Sounds like you both had a lot of fun with crt and digital also sharing calibration ideas. Look forward to the numbers. Bet you had fun with your test clips.
We had for shore .

Also the marquee had a benefit of a profile and calibration. Yes less light than a digital but that is what you like. I prefer around 14-16fl

But 12-13 on the marquee was also very comfy.

Her some pictures of how the marquee responded without calibration.
Colored c elements on red and green like Kurt had helps to give the little extra on CRT.

These measurement apply like I have seen it with colored C elements.
Also gamma not touched.
So have to say calibration is needed to get out the potential.

Attachments

Diddern

Here some after calibration.
A crt jumps more up and down and will have variations if you take a new measurement.
Even if you let the fosfor stabilize before measurement.
So the differens in the 100% variable from referanse to seen. This is the same with all the places that jump off.
Also a measurement on the 0-5% that track, like I like it. Make dynamic in the dark end.

Colors also track fine in the color checker.
In the gamma greyscale you see after correction how the CRT change then after drift.
Digital hold this better today.
Also think that Kurt liked the calibration on the marquee. Also with the 1-5 ire tracking great.

Attachments

Last edited:

Diddern

To get the CRT good you need a Lumagen or a video processor that you can fine adjust gamma and colors. Also like a computer with mad VR or else you will struggle with accuracy.

Yes you will then not get a totally analog video chain. But it’s worth it.
With a correct gamma and colors you will bring out more debt and details. And also a more correct totally image. That was clearly visible on the marquee.

I personally would prefer 2.4 max on a CRT. Because you get so much more details and shadow details in the dark end.
But that is preferred form person to person.
And need to be looked at over time. To understand or find what you like best.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Ill take a hammer and beat the blue tube, see if it gets stable, as its way more unstable than a good tube, its brand new but have some sort of short/ polution in the gun, so it basically never gets stable, also why we never got the 100% ire spot on.
So hope next time we can get a more normal crt stability, i have a few other new blue tubes, but like to see if this one will burn clean after some hours, also all tubes are new so the phosphor is a bit more sensitive, that will change after some hundred hours.

Now that we profiled the I1Display Pro to the JETI, ill be able to test and retake the measurements when i get the blue tube sorted out.

Tool prepared.
20190728_191029 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Diddern

When your blue tube get stabile,the measurements also will be more stable.
But a little bit will it always be.
Also with digital.

But anyway the image on it still looked great.
So don’t beat it to hard hehe.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
After some hardcore beating i think i nailed it pretty well, waiting to see if it remains stable.

CRT.png
CRT Gamma.png

pj jevnaker

Standard Member
I talked to Diddern. He was very impressed by the Marquee. He said it had amazing out of the black performance (0-5ire). I wouldnt be suprised if Stridsvognen have the best crt performance in the world at this point.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
I talked to Diddern. He was very impressed by the Marquee. He said it had amazing out of the black performance (0-5ire). I wouldnt be suprised if Stridsvognen have the best crt performance in the world at this point.
Greg and Justin are running the same videochain, so have very identical performance.

The last fine tweaking is in the digital videochain, as the CRT when all mecanical setup is done right is very straight forward.

I will at some point do a native calibration, for a a/b comparison between the lumagen correction and no correction, but for that my current calibration dont work as im targeting balanced 5 and 100% IRE, with a native calibration ill defocus blue more and target 15 and 85% IRE instead.
And we have all gamma corection ripped out and bypassed on the moome and Marquee vim, so its raw CRT response.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Yes, you are getting probaly as pure as it is possible to get with that approach.
Normaly you will have multiple clamping stages in the analog chain in the CRT projector, as back in the days black level was not very vell defined, and could be all over the place, what we do with the Marquee is letting the Moome card/ dac set the reference black level, im running straight from the DAC chip into the switcher on the vim, from there to the multiplier, and then on to the neckboard, that way we bypass the gamma chip and output buffer, and the filter on the moome card, input buffer and clamping on the vim, and replace the noisy low bandwidth switcher.

That reduce the amount of clipping in the analog videochain significantly, on top of that i run the moome card at its 0-255 setting, wich will make 16 0v out, and 235 0,7 or whatever i adjust it to, that makes for a better low level performance and better dynamics as your not compressing the analog signal, and on top of that i need less gain in the videochain, wich can be a bit delicate. I lovered the gain on the neckboard, as it makes it behave more linear, and less noisy, and use more gain in the multiplier, meaning instead of a 60 contrast ill run around 90, as the contrast multiplier dont introduce any issues with higher gain like the opamps.

Thats most of the reason we can display a 1% IRE and maintaine above 300000:1 on off contrast.
We did test a higher brightness setting wich measured 150000:1 wich lowers gamma and think we could also detect the 0,5% ire, but that puts the low level performance more in the level of the best Digitals, and the black level is noticable elevated.

that was with around 12fl, sore we can gain higher reading by running 14fl, but its not really needet.

For next time ill also try prepare some different Gamma targets, like now its 2,45 ill make a 2,4 and a 3,35. i just think the CRT needs to be higher due to the extreme black level, and with brighter content the higher gamma also helps the not so high ansi contrast.

Last night i made a perceptual white point on the I1 display pro using the JVC as a reference, i got a feling the Jeti profile was to yellow, wich was confirmed looking a 100% IRE from both projectors at the same time. So have 2 presets in the projector, only difference is the drive settings, and i can flip flop between the JETI profile and the visually matched to the JVC profile.

If the CRT is not enough reason to take a trip down here, ill trow in a little appetiser..

20190726_223121.jpg

pj jevnaker

Standard Member
It is amazing how pure you have got the the Marquee. When I read your approach and explaination I get shocked by how much time and effort that has been laid down with this. I have no doubt that this look good - very good.

I heard something about some amazing 'steaks' also.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
It is amazing how pure you have got the the Marquee. When I read your approach and explaination I get shocked by how much time and effort that has been laid down with this. I have no doubt that this look good - very good.

I heard something about some amazing 'steaks' also.
Its been a hobby for many years, and have to admit i felt something when i got my first marquee, a different aproach to the image, and after struggeling with my JVC X7 back then CRT was a miracle.
Ill say most modifications do more harm than good, i have seen mods introduce massive crosstalk, and totaly messed up tracking, so it took me 6-7 years before the pieces of the puzzle started to make sense, quite a huge amount of money were used on whats ill call scam mods, that had all sorts of compromises.
The Marquee is no where near a perfect projector, but as is ill bet its the shortest analog videochain ever seen in a CRT, and the cleanest, but that dont change the surrounding parameters like deflection geometry and focus system wich is not the strong side of the marquee.
The ultimate CRT would be something like a SONY G90 controle system with the Marquee videochain, just doubt we get to build that one.

Hopfully there will be one last mod from Gabor that features brand new switcher and multiplier never seen in a CRT projector before, with much better specs than you would imagine possible, if it all adds up we will see.

The steakes seems much easier to get right than the Marquee..;)

Diddern

Also been a hobby for me, but stopped when I went to the bright side. Also changed digitals often, looking for the holy digital grail.
I see the benefit of both technologies. But would not change my NX9 for any other digital on the market or a CRT. But that is my own preference.
I also think Kurt understand that because it's a super digital.

But would gladly have Kurts Marquee and thrown away one of my other digitals. But then also need to rebuild my whole cinema. :)
I have seen some good CRTs here in Norway The Cine9, G90 and the Runco 9" but Kurts was the little extra. I guess for people that have owned CRT, will always like it.

Also, the steaks :) Next time you come over to me Kurt I have steaks for you to :)

pj jevnaker

Standard Member
Also been a hobby for me, but stopped when I went to the bright side. Also changed digitals often, looking for the holy digital grail.
I see the benefit of both technologies. But would not change my NX9 for any other digital on the market or a CRT. But that is my own preference.
I also think Kurt understand that because it's a super digital.

But would gladly have Kurts Marquee and thrown away one of my other digitals. But then also need to rebuild my whole cinema. :)
I have seen some good CRTs here in Norway The Cine9, G90 and the Runco 9" but Kurts was the little extra. I guess for people that have owned CRT, will always like it.

Also, the steaks :) Next time you come over to me Kurt I have steaks for you to :)
Yes, then we should get some 'Black Angus' steaks from "Strøm-Larsen".

Latest news

Google Home update leaves smart speakers dumb
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display posts Q3 losses of $377 million
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix reveals how viewing metrics determines a show's success
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Discovery launches dplay AVOD service in UK and Ireland
  • By Andy Bassett