Marquee 95xx Owners Thread

nidi

Hello Guys,

I think it's time to start a Marquee 95xx specific thread.

everything concerning Marquee 95xx.

so where do we want to start?

It has been a roller coaster ride since I got my VDC 9517LC Ultra back in '05.

let's keep our dear hobby alive as long as we can.

Last edited:

nidi

As stated above, I got interested in Marquee Projectors at around '04.

Had a Barco Cine 7 back then.
A good friend of mine just bought a used Marquee from a well lnown
German dealer for UKP 12000.

Yes, even used ones did cost that much back in '04.

Helped setting it up at his place.
It had a horrible picture, soft, out of focus, colour was way off, looked worse than
my Cine 7.
Luckily, HKSteve, which was posting regularly on AVS, moved from HK to Switzerland.
Contacted him and we were able to improve it's performance bit by bit.

Seeing the improvements , I looked around and found one offered from a German
dealer. almost new, 50 hrs on it, but slight water damage from a sprinkler system
gone off at the VW plant in Germany.

Went up to the dealer with HKSteve to inspect it
All seemed ok and bought it for Euro 10000 with a set of GT7 lenses.

more to follow on that story...

greg9518lc

I have 2010 VDC 9518lc. My first crt projectors
Barco 800 801 808 808lc 1100 1209s then Sony 1292 g70 g50 Ampro 3600 zenith 1200x Nec pg6xtra.I also enjoy the hobby and trying to maximize as much performance out of these dinosaurs. All time favorite was the Zenith 1200x bought it with 500 hours on it.

guyvert1

OMG , in my crazy bachelor days I managed to buy two 9500's from a guy who cleared out a cinema, you can imagine my shock when I saw them, size/weight :cool: ...

I remember getting a guy from Norfolk or there about, to calibrate them, I think he even managed to run two running at once into 1 picture.. Fond memories ...

Shocked at what these go for now!!!

Stridsvognen

Suspended
I got my first Marquee 9500 in 2012 after a period of disapointment with my then brand new JVC projector.
It was a Vidikron Vision One, and after a few hours with it i felt i found something worth keeping.

Today i have close to 30 Marquee projectors.. A huge pile of mods and HDMI cards.

After a lot of disapointing results with various Marquee projectors due to different board revisions, tubes, lenses and defective mods, i now have a fairly good idea what it takes to get a Marquee 9500 to perform, and as it looks today i dont see any alternative projectors out there to replace it.

Last edited:

greg9518lc

So Kurt has went to the light side. May he forever rest in peace

Stridsvognen

Suspended
LOL.
I have to admit i been fiddeling with the gray powers for a while, but dont worrt the Marquee will return better than ever soon.

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Got a idea today to reduce vertical convergence drift from cold to hot on the Marquee, and so far it seems to be working, only tested one cycle.

Here is the results.

Before

20190702_131836.jpg

After
20190702_144137.jpg

The mod is simple.
20190702_130111.jpg
20190702_130102.jpg

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Finaly i got my fingers out of my butt hole and got the Marquee swapped out.

20190706_194648.jpg

Found 3 good LCP tubes in the tube pile, wich is now the center of my newly installed Marquee, and what a difference!!!

The LUG machine was calibrated to 11fl on my 110" neutral screen, and this beast is now rocking 16fl at max, with better focus and uniformity than the old LUG projector with 11fl.
Videochain is the same, only parts not reused is the chassis, controleboard and tubes.

I had a stigmator board that flaked out last night, need to swap that one and redo flare magnets on blue, as its been messing that one up.

Now about Ansi contrast, the always hot topic with CRT, i measured 91:1 last night, measuring all 3 tubes at the same time, quite far from the projector, in comparison i measured 80:1 on a JVC X30, close to the lens, 120:1 on my JVC X7, and 300:1 on my SONY VPL VW270ES.

Sure i can see the advantages of the high Ansi on the SONY, but as is now, the old Marquee is just slapping that 4K sony plastic toy around.

20190707_210948.jpg

20190707_211147.jpg

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Starting to look like something.

20190710_141553.jpg

greg9518lc

Look forward to the JVC guru opinion when he comes over to your house. Wish I could be there

Stridsvognen

Suspended
lets see if i get time to build some panels covered with black fabrick to reduce some reflections in the black paint, other than that its working fairly well.

greg9518lc

I remember talking about that. Would be nice to see that project come to light. I agree my LCP is rocking and the LUG machine has been gutted.

Diddern

Look forward to the JVC guru opinion when he comes over to your house. Wish I could be there
Looking forward to it to, so far look great. And always cool to see other that have this urge with picture. I see that Kurt know this Marquee like his own child.

Like I also told Strids that I recently saw a great 9” here in Norway.
Looked really great. I know I will be shown a super CRT picture if we have the time. That I hope.
And I also promise that he will see a JVC the diddern way.

greg9518lc

Looking forward to it to, so far look great. And always cool to see other that have this urge with picture. I see that Kurt know this Marquee like his own child.

Like I also told Strids that I recently saw a great 9” here in Norway.
Looked really great. I know I will be shown a super CRT picture if we have the time. That I hope.
And I also promise that he will see a JVC the diddern way.
I have no doubt that you 2 will have both dialed in and you will be the first outsider to see one of 3 LCP setups in the world done Strides way Looking forward to your updates. Also take your camera so we can see Bayer vs CCD

Diddern

I dont have a camera with me, if Kurt want to take some pictures that’s fine by me. I have no problem with that. Camera is on my cabin.

One thing for shore I know I will like the Marquee image. I’m prepared to see something better than what I have might seen before with CRT. Most setups around on CRT are not more than 30% of what it can be I guess. So if it’s to good Strids might not understand that he have one marquee less hehe.

If you use the time to understand you can get almost max out of a CRT. So great that someone use a lot of time and effort to do the little extra. It also help others to be motivated and keep it on. I have seen good CRTs lately but not with so much mods that actually do a difference. But for shore seen great CRT setups.

Also hope that we can get a perfect picture out of his new JVC.

Fun to share knowledge and see new stuff.

meemil

Novice Member
Hi!
New here, been on curtpalme.com for few years. Started with an entry level Sony and I'm happy to see that people still care about CRTs. I'm definitely not born in that era, just got into my twenties so I'm kinda late to the hobby.

Anycase I've been very lucky to have a local hobbyist who's into Marquees so I'm now running a 9500 ultra with red C-element and gt17s. I've also acquired a MP 03 VIM, VNBs + Barco frankenyokes but recently got some advice that I should get rid of all that and run stock instead. What videochains are you guys running? I see really good looking shots here and I'm sure that's not with stock bandwidth.

Also, I'm quite experienced already installing this PJ, done full setup multiple times including astig, lens flapping etc. so I'd be very interested to get even deeper and how to really get the max PQ outta the machine.

Cheers!

Stridsvognen

Suspended
Welcome to the Marquee thread..:clap:

Ill expect to have a meet, or come if you like in Denmark sometime around Oktober, where we play with Marquee mods, and various Digital projectors.

In general im not a great fan of the 03vim, but if you could share some pictures of your vim and neckboards, i might tell if there is any saving them, in most cases the MP neckboards is over that state, and depending what edition of the vim you have it might be able to use bits and parts to build something that really kick some butt.

You better post some pictures of that beast, now we are all curious to see it.:thumbsup:

meemil

Novice Member
All right, here's some few months old screenies (experimenting with the PJ right now, needs a re-setup)
The color balance is wack in these ones, I think it's mainly the MP boards. I definitely had less problems calibrating before them. Also zone color correction doesn't work with MP Vim.

I'll upload some pics of the boards, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks so much for the input!
IMG_20190101_224432.jpg
IMG_20190103_234311__01.jpg
IMG_20190102_141128.jpg
IMG_20190101_222734.jpg

Stridsvognen

Suspended
How handy are you with a soldering iron.? And do you have some old standard neckboards laying around, if so please snap a few pictures of those as well.

meemil

Novice Member
I'm quite handy with soldering iron for sure. I've recapped the whole PJ and done some mods from Athanasios' Marquee maintenance thread.

MP 03 Vim
IMG_20190720_144512__01.jpg

MP neckboard
IMG_20190720_143457.jpg

Spare cl449 neckboards (working except upper ones missing brown resistors)
IMG_20190720_144753.jpg

Some random super old H1100 ones
IMG_20190720_144329.jpg

I also have 2 stock 02p Vims
Hope this helps!

Stridsvognen

Suspended
That 03vim is past saving, first its potted to deadth, 2nd its the old 3 chip miniboard, they never really worked well, the black level and noise was a pita.

The 3 standard neckboards you have, or all your standard neckboards, with cl449, try get the brown resistors mounted on all those, look if any of them have signs of overheating on the PCB specially where the big resistors is mounted, resolder the resistors on all of them.
Preferable change the old electrolytics before testing.

meemil

Novice Member
Yeah the vim looks nasty :( Thanks for the tips. So I'm better off with a stock one. I have 2 and noticed that one of them has some weird mods! Any idea what these are for?
IMG_20190720_154233.jpg
IMG_20190720_154309.jpg

Also is there any way to increase the bandwidth with this chain? I'd still love to resolve 1080p 72hz decently.

Cheers!

Stridsvognen

Suspended
If you have a bit of patience i think Gabor will come up with a vim mod this year, that will go nicely on a 02 vim. There is not really any way to up the standard vim, you can skip some stages, but its not really worth the trouble.

I dont imagine that mod on the 02 vim you have there do anything meaningfull.

Last edited:

meemil

Novice Member
Damn. Everything back to stock now and so many weird issues just got fixed! Contrast modulation works now and I can also do the blue flare which I could never do before (the bright centers were gone).
I'm also really waiting for possible Gabor's mods!

Stridsvognen, what kind of video chain do you have, if you dont mind asking. Also do you have any tips for perfecting the focus/astig setup? I could never get both rasters centered AND have a focus that wouldn't move when ramping from 0 to 100.

Thanks, this fresh info is so valuable!

greg9518lc

The mods we run are simple and proven with calibration data to back them up. More is not better.

Latest news

Google Home update leaves smart speakers dumb
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display posts Q3 losses of $377 million
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix reveals how viewing metrics determines a show's success
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Discovery launches dplay AVOD service in UK and Ireland
  • By Andy Bassett