Marquee 9500 install - rough going rate?

Boris Blank

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Despite my good intentions, I have never yet got round to installing my Marquee 9500LC. Its got to the point where if I don't get someone to do it for me I may never get round to it (seem to always have something else more important to do these days!).

What would be a rough going rate for the physical install of a 9500 (would need to be ceiling mounted/aligned and mechanically/electrically focused etc including doing those damn magnets!). Color calibration I can do myself, power/input wiring is in place (sort of - its all there but I need to tidy it up!)

In planning stages at the moment but timescale would be sometime in next 2 or 3 months perhaps depending upon price?

I'm up in Aberdeen so that may be a factor.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
Paul more than happy to send you a quote.
I'll do that by PM rather than in the open forum.

I've done a few installs in Aberdeen I think rig mans was one of them.

Your should send Chrs Frost a PM too. He's all over the CRT forums too.

Last edited:
Tom,
yes, thats me up there in Bonnie Scotland!

Roland,
Many thanks, have emailed you back.

The Marquee is heavily modded, most of this is irrelevent as far as an install goes but it does have Frankenyokes as well as a mod to rotate/center the rasters which is different from standard Marquees. Its these that have really vexed me such that my attempts to install came to a grinding halt - can't do the magnets then you can't get a decent display. Magnets aren't particularly difficult, its just that I have a real problem in doing them, theory is fine, applying that theory is (for me) an issue. Note - nothing wrong with the pj, it genuinely is me that can't get to grips with the magnets.

I figured that rather than keep trying to find the time to do these properly and install the pj, I'd rather pay to get it done professionally so I can concentate on watching movies rather than trying to overcome my incompetence and spend another years holidays getting nowhere fast. (Replace bellows - easy. Looking at tiny dots with bright cores - headache city!)

Useful DIY link, Tom, but speaking personally I always prefer to start from scratch. That's the only way to be sure that the projector is as neutral as possible when it comes to the final stages of convergence and colour calibration.

PaulB, Roland has more time on Quees than me. He's a good guy. You won't be disappointed. I'm probably more your man if you are going the whole hog and getting the system colour calibrated too.

Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.

Chris, I have the gear to calibrate so left it off the list (not saying I can do a good job, just that I'm happy to play with that particular aspect myself).

Roland has (thankfully) been in touch. Given the shortage of Marquee experts in the UK, I figured that probably he or MadMrH would be most likely to respond but happy to have input from everyone.

I have installed Barcos before but old age, a recurring sore back and lack of time have conspired against me! I am also very aware that my installation skills are amatuer at best and something like a Marquee needs to be done properly and only a professional can do that!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.

Chris, I have the gear to calibrate so left it off the list (not saying I can do a good job, just that I'm happy to play with that particular aspect myself).

Roland has (thankfully) been in touch. Given the shortage of Marquee experts in the UK, I figured that probably he or MadMrH would be most likely to respond but happy to have input from everyone.

I have installed Barcos before but old age, a recurring sore back and lack of time have conspired against me! I am also very aware that my installation skills are amatuer at best and something like a Marquee needs to be done properly and only a professional can do that!

:thumbsup:
Come on Paul don't give in to intimidation!! last year you were afraid of a soldering Iron now look at ya you mad modder you!!!!

But if the reason is no time and a bad back then i can't ride you for that. But it doesnt take a pro it just takes paractic, practice, practice.

I am working on schiemflug now and can honestly say i think i have it down for the AC marquee's Lc is a bit different but still same theory. And must say for my set up with the blend you have to take off the covers on the factory set bolts to get it just right. ;)

Athanasios

Come on Paul don't give in to intimidation!! last year you were afraid of a soldering Iron now look at ya you mad modder you!!!!

But if the reason is no time and a bad back then i can't ride you for that. But it doesnt take a pro it just takes paractic, practice, practice.

I am working on schiemflug now and can honestly say i think i have it down for the AC marquee's Lc is a bit different but still same theory. And must say for my set up with the blend you have to take off the covers on the factory set bolts to get it just right. ;)

Athanasios[/QUOTE

:smashin::smashin::D

I'm at the point where unless I get someone else to install it, it won't be getting installed.

I've basically ran out of steam, the magnets were the first major stumbling block - if I could do them the pj would have been installed by me a year ago. Unfortunately, I just can't do them and no longer wish to do them.

The back-pain is the "icing on the cake" as far as NOT doing the install, time is short and any desire to install it myself went out the window after being off work recently due to back pain.

I agree its a shame as I really wanted to do it all myself but its not going to happen. I've progressed so far in the past years it brings a big smile to my face but I need help with the last (crucial) few steps.

Paying for an install is an easy way out but it will allow me to concentrate on watching movies and enjoying the Marquee rather than it just sitting there doing nothing. It also means that the install is professionally done and I don't have to re-visit it or worry that I did it wrong. (A good install makes the world of difference in performance!)

Of course, it would also allow me to concentrate on modding/upgrading and getting a replacement green installed at some point ......! Oh yes, I'll be watching the magnets procedure during the install VERY closely, once I see how its done I should pretty much be able to do it myself straight off. Until then though I'm completely and utterly stumped!

If I had half the skills you have Nash I'd be a very happy man! As it is you've inspired me beyond words my friend, believe me, I'd have given up a year ago if it hadn't been for you and you continue to keep me (and I'm sure a lot of other people) very excited about this hobby of ours!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom