1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marquee 8500 CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rolf, May 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My company has given me the change to buy 3(!) of this large CRT projectors, models 8500. Does anyone know the quality of the Marquee? Do they compares with the Barco 808s spec?
    They are all 100% ok, and has around 3-4000hour on the tubes.
    I will pay 600$ totaly for all three!

Thanks for response.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Where in the world are you...Can you get me one!!!!

The Marquee 8500 is the Christie competition for Barco 808. Both 8" EMF non liquid coupled projectors. Both in production a fair time and both probably at the Zenith of their design.

These devices are used in critical viewing applications. That means they have to work in situations where video performance and reliability are paramount! The Marquee's have three fans in the HT power supply section which run even when the thing is in standby, this can be annoying.

Unless they are recent models you'll have to carry out a simple Resistor modification to one of the boards so that it can do an anamorphic squeeze. You will also require to use an off board video processor or HTPC otherwise you'll be looking at big gaps between scan lines. Set up well in good condition these should be great. Having said that....Christie Digital informed me that in most commercial applications they expect the tubes to be trashed in 5000hrs. In Home Theater useage you should get at least twice that but that's not how these things are usually used. There's a link to an artivel on this site attached at end. It's about a Marquee 7500, same chassis just less adjustment parameters, which had knackered tubes after 5300hrs. I had helped the owner get new tubes and the difference was pretty staggering. Before most folk would have thought it great....after most folk would be shocked.

Good luck...

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/art...ice.com/articles/installations/200204_1.shtml

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've been after one of these to play with.

I suspect the tubes will be shot but check them any how.
    The green will go first in a presentation environment then the blue.
    Bright torch down the lens with your nose against the glass you are looking for a browning of the tube surface.

The 8500 is an excelent machine but much taller than the Barco 808 or Sony G70 equivalents.

The fact you've used a $ makes me think this is not UK.

Sold for about £20,000 new!

Don't forget to get the remotes

4. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply! I'm from Norway, and the price paying my company are 5000Nkr. I guess there has to be and service menu that will show the estimated hours they had run? My friend will buy one of the 8500, and I'm thinking of using one for maintenance accessories. I tought an CRT would have up to 30000 hour lifetime?
    Two years ago I sold my "old" Philips LCD projector, and invested in a new Philips 32widescreen. This january I also invested in an Sony 41inc Widescreen RPTV with CRT tubes. Compare with the LCD projector tellies, I was impressed by the CRT's clean colors and good contrast. Last october we moved into our new house, and the new cinema will be constructed from the ground up.
    My AV equipment are several years old, and will need an upgrade. Guess our daughter will take over the amp and DVD,
    Mvh Rolf
    http://www.rennfast.com

5. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more question; What is the best source to use as DVD playback on marguee with the BNC inputs for RGB signal? (I guess this connectors can't be used directly to the RGB scart on an DVD player or sat-tuner). Are an HTPC the best solution?

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    An HCPC is certainly a good solution but there are plenty of other routes you could go down.
    I guess you need to work out what anount of ease of setup and ease of use you're looking for. If you want to just plug-and-play then perhaps the HCPC isn't the option for you. However if you enjoy a rewarding challenge, you know your way around PC and you'd like to save a good bit of money then I would suggest going for it.

Hope that helps
    Alex

EDIT: it's also a little easier if you fancy just using your projector for dvd movies. The PC excells at this. Other inputs are still fairly straightforward but s-video is the best your pc will accept for scaling without a lot of messing about (SDI, etc).

7. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We can handle pc in our family (I have worked as computer engineer almost 10 years) We are connected the internet on 2048kbps ADSL line, and I have installed an movie+mp3 server on the attic :)

I was looking at the Creative Labs Personal Cinema adapter. It includes remote control, and TV-out (guess the VGA out has to be used with Marquee...). Combining Geforce2 MX400 processing and 64Mb ram.

I read in forums that most users prefered the ATI Radeon adapter. Are the Radeon the best adapter for playback on CRT's?

mvh
    Rolf

8. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Sounds like you've got your answer - HCPC for you.
    The ATI radeon is definitely the current best.
    If you can afford it (and the space) then a dedicated PC is the way to go. TV-out is fairly useless. You'll be using a VGA to 5 BNC RGBHV cable to go to the projector. DVD quality is superb. If you can put in some effort you can also have seemless (and wife-friendly) operation.
    A programable remote and an IR reciever for the PC is the way to go.
    THe HCPC forum here will have all the information you'll need. In the meantime hit the link in my sig and look at the components in the HCPC. most are 'Best in class' and are reasonably priced. The mobo/processor can be improved upon for performance but maybe not for stability.

9. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess your solution with an remote keyboard and mouse will be the thing.The HT can then also be used as internet/gaming zone with the big screen. We used to play Colin McRae rally on my old LCD:)
    There is some nice looking keyb/mouse in black finish to use for this (not the grey "keytronic" kinds).

I think there will be some testing to do soon. As there is 3 of them to diagnostic:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.