Marque 7500 from The Event reborn

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nick Beecham, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone who attended The Event, last August, should remember my 8" CRT Marque 7500, the 2nd of 3 PJs to be demonstrated in the CRT room. Only 1 person (not me!) voted that it had the best picture of the 3 :( This was not surprising, though, as at least one of the tubes was nearly worn out.

Gordon and Roland have, since, worked their magic on it. It has been retubed and now hangs from my ceiling, fed by the Rock+, fed in turn by an SDI modified Pioneer 737 and firing at a Stewart Screen. The picture quality has been transformed and it produces some quite stunning results, particularly with some of the better DVDs in my collection.

:)

My heartfelt thanks go out to Gordon and Roland who worked many long hours on the installation and were always willing to keep coming back to my house and give extra advice until everything was just right. This was truly service way beyond what I could have expected. Thanks also to Nick Allen from Marata for his help in getting the Electromask system to work.

Nick Beecham

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Nick

Excellent news. I knew that if you stuck with it you would end up with a gem. Your set up sounds stunning and is the envey of many of us (me!). It is nice to see a real success in these days sniping on the board. Well done and happy watching.

Yet more good service from G and R.:D

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    :blush:
    :kisses:

Another ophaned projector finds a caring home.

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd bet there's more homes than projectors.

What si the most projectors anyone has seen in a single house? Is the norm one?

Nick,

Great news, every home should have a projector. I envy your ROCK, HTPC's are great, but not the most user friendly. Still, it stops my soon to be sister in law from wearing out my tubes when she house sits!!!

Nick

5. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Where does the 7500 fit in the Marquee family and what resolution are you running it at.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    The Marquee 7500 is the euro equivalent of the 8110 in the US. It's the start of the Marquee family. The 8500 is the next and is the same projector with the addition of electronic astigmatism and some extra geometric set up parameters. Nick's unit is the same chassis that TAW buy themselves for their TAWHD800.

With new tubes it is currently running on the 16:9 screen at 960P @ 72 Hz for NTSC film based DVD and 75Hz for all PAL material. I tested it at 720P to start but scan lines were obvious. I believe we may have slight overlap of scan lines at 960 but the end result is something.... I have taken pics and I believe there may be something about this instal on this site sometime. Pics of SDIvSvideo input are a bit serious........

Glad that Nick is happy and it's all hunky dory. I was very pleased with image when we'd finished. Those of you who saw the unit at teh Event wouldn't believe the picture it now produces......

Gordon

7. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Gordon,
    As you know I have the 8000 and up to now have been using it for mainly R1 NTSC on a 16:9 screen.
    Does [email protected] Hz work well for PAL DVD's as I've been wondering what rez to use.
    I've been reading about all sorts of rez's including 1440x864, 1440x 1152 & 720x576.
    What resolutions are typical for PAL?

Kevin

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    When I was testing the Rock and SDI 737 on my Sony1270 the week before Nicks install I tried 720 X 600P v 1440 x 600P. To me there was not a significant difference, if any at all.

If you have a Rock or HTPC I would try 1440 x "xxx" @ 72Hz for film based DVD's ntsc, 60Hz for video based NTSC programme material and at 75Hz or 50 Hz for all PAL material. The problem you may have though is that once you watch lots of 72Hz stuff going to 50Hz you really notice the flicker. You do stop noticing it after a while though. I gave up on 48Hz for NTSC stuff with the Rock during my testing as there was a bug which caused it to crash. This is now fixed so may be worth investigating again.

In the above I'd try "xxx" as 720 to start if you have a 16:9 shaped screen and are using vertical height compression to crush lines down together for anamorphic squeeze. Then go to 840 then 960. See which you prefer. I think between 840 - 960 would have been ideal for Nicks. We had limited time so went with what we considered the best of those I had tried. The next time I'm down at Nicks I'll probably look at other resolutions.

Gordon

9. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Thanks Gordon,

At the moment I'm using 1024x768 but find I can't get the vertical squeeze enough to make Anamorphic the right ratio.I'm down to zero and need to come down more.
    I'll try some more rez's as you suggest and hopefully avoid the vertical mod.

Kevin

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    You'll need to do the mod. I did it on Nick's prior to the Event. If you are handy with a soldering oron it's not too hard.

Gordon

11. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I'm not but I know a man who is.
    Kevin

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    With Nick's we used some aggressive placing of the projector to maximise light output. Almost the entire raster width is being used. I was still having to use almost the full vertical squeeze to maintain correct geometry!

Gordon

13. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Sounds like it was worth it though.

14. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys for sharing in my joy.

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For what it is worth most CRT projectors will reduce the width of the image as the Scan rate increases. More load is placed on the varrious circuits and the display divice is not abkle to keep up.

Reducing the vertical resolution often gives more width.

It was my understanding this is why after XGA aspect ratios changed from 4x3 to 5x4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.