1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maroon5 - Songs About Jane BMG Copy Control

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rct, Jul 2, 2004.

1. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    [rant]
    I just received my copy from CD-Wow to find that I had not received a genuine audio CD but some form of bastardised CD-ROM with audio data. Not only does this disc refuse to play on my in-car system but also, has an audible gap just before 10s on each track on any other CD player. It drives me insane that record labels are doing this; the way to tackle piracy is to release better quality recordings at good prices.
    [/rant]
    CD-Wow as always have been great and are taking back the CD, although they should put a warning on their website as to which CDs have been damaged in this way.

Does anyone know where online I can source a CDDA version of this album? :lease:

2. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Strange
    I got this from cdwow also and have had no problems like this. My car cd player is about 10 years old though and my 'cd player' is an old and very picky dvd player, maybe it is a faulty disc. Have you tried any other bastardised cdroms?

3. Muz

Muz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my copy from the US (when I was there). Probably best bet would be to find a US copy - no probs with protection etc. Plays on all of my CD players.

US version does have a slightly different track listing - I think that the Euro version includes extra stuff (videos, photos and screensaver).

Good luck.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies, I'll continue hunting; if anyone has the Canadian release it would be great if they could tell me its copy protection status.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I also hate this sort of thing,as I use my PC,and an HCPC for playing CD's and copy protected CD's either won't play at all,or require all sorts of messing around just to play the music you've actually paid for.

I don't in any way condone piracy,and fail to see why a CD I've paid for shouldn't be expected to play properly on all CD compliant drives without resorting to things like Easy CD-DA extractor et al just to be able to run the disc at it's intended resolution rather than some god-awful bit reduced rate.

I also totally agree that the best way to tackle piracy is to make music available at prices that make piracy uneconomical,as is being done with many DVD releases.

6. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    I used to buy CD's all the time and rarely bought films, now I buy many more films than CD's. I used to put it to age, but its actually due to value for money.

7. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Canadian releases are usually the same as the US releases (with a few exceptions), so I think it would be pretty much the same as the US release :confused:

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The irony is, that if you want a proper version of a copy protected album, the best bet is to download a good quality one illegally, as the legit download sites offer ****e quality. :rolleyes:

No complaints from me though, I have no qualms.

9. whoareyou

whoareyou
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had similar problems with CD-WOW and refuse to buy from them anymore. I have bought DVD's which have turned to be VCD and they dont make this clear on their website. I always buy now from www.play.com they always match them for price, range, etc.

10. wullsy

wullsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's nothing wrong with cd-wow. The best retailer on the planet on my opinion.

Any time I get a copy protected cd from cd-wow, I email them and tell them I'm not accepting it, as it's not a proper cd (technically it isn't). They always take it back. It's not their fault anyway. They aren't releasing the product, only selling it, and at end of the day, there are only a small percentage of cds I find unplayable anyway.