1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marmitek - Easytouch 35

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by noidea, Jun 23, 2004.

1. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Does anyone have one of these? I'm looking for a universal remote that doesn't cost the earth but with more functionality and better build quality than the really cheap ones. I don't like the One For All's (size and looks as well as buttons) and was looking at one by Sony, but the Easytouch appears to trump the Sony with macros as well as being a bit cheaper. Anyone out there who could sway me either way?

2. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I realise I'm replying to a 6 month old question but it may be of use to others searching for info on the Easytouch 35. I've just bought one for a mere £30 from simplyautomate.co.uk. I wasn't expecting too much for this price but I liked the idea of macros. I've programmed the "1" key to turn my TV on to Ch6, turn on my VCR to Ch6, and to turn on Sky. Basically this is what I had to do to watch Sky on my 2nd TV but now I can do all of that with on key press.

The remote only controls up to 8 devices limited to just 1 VCR and 1 TV. This can be a problem if I get a DVD or HD recorder and want to keep my VCR and existing DVD player. I should be able to get around it by teaching it the IR commands on one of the device buttons I don't use such as Cable.

The LCD touchscreen is okay but not that bright/visible during the day. At night a button will activate a nice blue backlight making the LCD highly visible, it's just during the day it's not that strong. Also you have to press the touchscreen to turn it on before you can issue a command using the touchscreen. This is annoying if you want to change to a specific TV channel, such as 3. You have to press the touchscreen twice, once to turn it on and again to select the channel. The hard keys are always on so you just need to press once - volume, channel up down, text, play, rew, ff, etc.

A cool touch is if you press the power button twice it turns off all devices one after the other. But the down side is the width of the IR beam is quite narrow so you need to point it towards the device. I think this is a stupid flaw because with this sort of remote you don't want to have to think where the device is and then to target it - you just want to wave the remote in the general direction and press a button. Bouncing IR off walls is totally out of the questions.

The main reason I bought it was because it controls X10 devices so I can turn lights on/off around my house using this remote. Oh, and the really cheap price, I figured I have nothing to lose. Overall it's not bad but there's plenty of room for improvement.