Marmaris and Icmeler, Turkey

nheather

Distinguished Member
Wife is looking for a cheapish 1 week holiday in the sun at the end of August - our main holiday will be at Christmas.

The searches come up with Majorca, Various Greek islands and Turkey (mostly Marmaris and some in Icmeler).

Been to Majorca and Greece plenty so Turkey sounds interesting. But never been before, and in the past have always dismissed it.

What is Marmaris like?

I'm a bit concerned it will be like Benidorm. We are not after a quite place but at the same time, I don't want a huge place full of nightclubs, all day English breakfasts and lad/ladette parties.

Bit out of my comfort zone because I usually like to take my time to plan and choose, but the wife just wants to press the 'buy it now' on the internet.

Cheers,

Nigel

Rosiecider

Novice Member
sorry but yes I feel you will find it to be a bit Benidormy! its a huge resort, it attracts the young and mmm yes, in my opinion not a couples destination unless you want that type of holiday.
if you fancy Turkey have a look at Olu Deniz, Fethiye, Kalkan as resorts more suited.

nheather

Distinguished Member
It's a family holiday with older children. We tend to like the quieter resorts which still have a reasonable set of restaurants and shops. Not a deserted beach, but not a party town.

A good example of sort of thing we have liked in the past is Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca (Majorca).

Cheers,

Nigel

Cobb

Distinguished Member
I spent 5 nights in Marmaris last month. I'm 26 and my partner is 22 and we were the youngest staying at the hotel. It was really quiet and relaxed, we were also the only English couple there for a few nights. Marmaris can be whatever you want it to be

vinny41

Marmaris , no beach huge marina, not cheap of all the resorts in Turkey one of the most expensive as its the main base for the yachting crowd in turkey
nearest beach is Icmeler approx 15-20 mins by dolmus
the resorts that CLAIRETRAVEL1 has suggest are more suitable for a family holiday
nearest airport for these resorts is dalman
don't take the jeep safaris as there is concerns about safety and insurance see google

Fethiye is a small town there is a beach approx 10 minutes away calledCalis Beach,
Olu Deniz is approx 20-30 mins from Fethiye by dolmus wonderful beach and lagoon
lots of Mosquitos this time of year

vinny41

major public holiday in turkey approx 19-21st august subject to when the new moon is seen
roads get very busy at this time as all turkish people normally will be visting their families or going to the various resorts
if going to fethiye is worth doing the 12 island boat tour
dont book trips with tour operator as you will get better deals booking yourself

vinny41

What currency do they accept in Turkey? I've been told Turkish Lira and Euros :S
they wil accept all currencies it is better to change stirling to lira once you have arrived in turkey either in post office or money changers as they normally offer better rates than bank
bank rate is currently 2.81 for 1 pound

Home | GarantiBank

Jessica

they wil accept all currencies it is better to change stirling to lira once you have arrived in turkey either in post office or money changers as they normally offer better rates than bank
bank rate is currently 2.81 for 1 pound

Home | GarantiBank
Cheers, I've got some Lira and some Euros left over from my last hol so hopefully that should be ok :)

vinny41

yes that will be fine, its best not to pay for items in euros or any other currency as the exchange rate will be left down to the shop/bar also if you do pay in euros any change will be in lira

info for anyone visting turkey for the 1st time for uk passport holders visa is obtained at the turkish airport at cost of £10 per person it is advisable to have a seperate £10 for each person as they don't give change

Last edited:

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
If you go to fethiye, make sure you hire a car and drive along the coast road past oludeniz, some awesome scenery and quiet beaches. Lots to see around area if you hunt around including some ruined ghost towns etc. Good place.

SevloW

Distinguished Member
If you want peace and quiet but still plenty of places to eat and have a drink then Turunc is fantastic. It's the next bay around from Icmeler. Marmaris is just way too busy for myself. Icemler is quieter but still quite lively. Turunc is just wonderful, been going out there since 2001 and was out there in June and going back at the end of September.

Turunc Village | Welcome

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member
If you want peace and quiet but still plenty of places to eat and have a drink then Turunc is fantastic. It's the next bay around from Icmeler. Marmaris is just way too busy for myself. Icemler is quieter but still quite lively. Turunc is just wonderful, been going out there since 2001 and was out there in June and going back at the end of September.

Turunc Village | Welcome
Just booked to go to Turunc Hotel in September. Are you familiar with the hotel?

woppy101

Distinguished Member
Turunc is lovely,we went there in 2009,2010.its main street has a few nice shops but in general it is very quite and it has a lovely beach( hope your not scared of heights thought because the road to from marmaris goes over the top of a very big hill).we would go back tomorrow because it is a very very nice place

SevloW

Distinguished Member
Just booked to go to Turunc Hotel in September. Are you familiar with the hotel?
Not been there but the Turunc Hotel is the largest in the resort and set on the right hand side of the bay (if your looking out to sea). I have heard mixed reports about it from people staying there, some love it, others not so keen.

Going back to Turunc on Monday (24th Sept) staying at the Barbaros Beach Hotel - lovely place.

If your about you can usually find me in The Surmen restaurant on the sea front. Pop in and I will buy you a beer :smashin:

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member
SevloW said:
Not been there but the Turunc Hotel is the largest in the resort and set on the right hand side of the bay (if your looking out to sea). I have heard mixed reports about it from people staying there, some love it, others not so keen.

Going back to Turunc on Monday (24th Sept) staying at the Barbaros Beach Hotel - lovely place.

If your about you can usually find me in The Surmen restaurant on the sea front. Pop in and I will buy you a beer :smashin:
We really enjoyed Turunc and the hotel was very nice : )

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom