Marlon Brando, The best actor of all time has passed

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gorshin, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's so sad. I only watched Superman today, and had tears in my eyes watching Brando say goodbye to his son (he was paid $4million for this performance, but it was worth it IMO). Now the world has said goodbye to Brando. My me easily the greatest actor of all time. Such a presence and a great charisma.

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    I'm with you there gorshin. i heard someone say on saturday morning that they didnt know what all the fuss was about he hadn't "made a decent film for 30 years". So i thought whats all this fuss about Pele, he hasn't played a decent football match for 30 years either. So not working for 30 years invalidates his previous efforts?

Brando was a genius to watch, without him would pacino or de niro have become the legends they are?

Gary

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Judging by the lack of replies I take it there aren't many Brando fans on this forum.

I was never a fan too and doubt that many people will have anything more than The Godfather, Apocalypse Now and Superman in their DVD collection repesenting him.

I have yet to meet anybody that liked him as an actor or say anything more than "I liked him in The Godfather".

Yes he was a good actor and helped introduce a new acting technique to cinema ('The method'), but there were so many actors after him and inspired by him like Pacino, DeNiro, Hoffman etc to name a few who use this same technique and did (and still do) it MUCH better than him.

4. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Being a ' Western ' fan, one of my favourite Brando movies is '' One Eyed Jacks '' although it is many years( made in the early 60s ) since I've seen it.
    Karl Malden was the villain of the piece.

Anyone know if it is available on DVD? It only occurred to me on hearing of his death and remembering some of the great movies he made.

Brian.

5. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have to say I quite admire the man. Yes he was bullish, stubborn and as far as I have read, a real pain in the arse to work with. But for differing reasons he gifted some great performances (Streetcar named desire :thumbsup: ) and also showed up in some real turkey's too (Island of Dr Moreau :nono: )
    I think he offered his best when he was cast opposite equally strong personalities like Vivien Leigh. Apocalypse Now is a great movie and his natural performance and brooding presence does add weight (no pun intended) to the finale.
    Brando never gave the impression he was acting. He was so completely comfortable on camera. It always felt that we had stumbled into his unique world. Last Tango in Paris was good too.

N.B. I am still thinking about ...Dr Moreau......what WAS he wearing? :suicide:

regards Franc

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,073
    Yes here it is only about £2.58 but is 4:3 as all versions of it. I though the film was good and would not mind seeing it on TV again and Viva Zapata as I cannot remember it at all.

7. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Garrett.

Brian.

8. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And of course the Score. :smashin:

9. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard from many sources that 'The Score' is rubbish.