1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Markup.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by southpaw, Dec 26, 2004.

1. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a query.

Does anyone know what it costs to make a decent plasma. Just wondered this with some of the sales prices! :eek:

They can't be that expensive to make compared to regular tvs. ie less components (although maybe more expensive components)

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess a 42" HD plasma for £2500 today is REALLY worth about £1000 or even lower for the manufacturer, i believe there are som HUGE margins that the manufacturers put on.

3. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A rather daft question realy
    where do you draw the line ?
    are we talking about the cost of the parts and labour to build 1 plasma or should we include the R&D, the fab plant the wastage etc........
    if it does cost £1000 to build a plasma and you can sell them for £2000 then why aren't there a queue of manufaturers making them and slashing margins to grab the reported massive market for plasma pannels, for example what is the life span of any given model ? 6 months ?? then you have to retool for the next

4. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    From what I understand concerning Plasma production,it works out that you end up paying your pro-rata share for all the total production that doesn't make it out beyond the factory gates - roughly 80% of panels produced are no good.So,because of the huge wastage in producing a working screen,you pay a hefty premium to cover this.