Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Marketing strategies :Why DLP avoid middle-low price segment?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stauDLP, Feb 7, 2005.

1. stauDLP

stauDLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems DLP producers don't want to give a boost in middle-cost PJ's.
    The few low-cost PJ's are the well-known outdated 854x480.
    For PAL viewer they are unacceptable.
    Is it so difficult to put in the market a 1280x720 in 3000€ price?
    Or is it a pure marketing strategy?

Do consider that I' m a DLP fan, but 3000€ for a 1024x576 seems really to much!
    I hope PJ's like PTAE700 could give a shock, now I' have to reconsider to buy one LCD.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    As I've said in similar threads, if LCD machines do no more than shake DLP manufacturers out of their comfort zone then they'll have done a good job in my book. Even worse for DLP manufacturers there are quite a few excellent LCD's out there. DLP marketing may look smug and quote their overwhelming market share at the moment, but I can't believe they are not worried. This should benefit us all hopefully...PJ

3. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mentioned this a few times on here but no-one has as yet commented. Why is it that a HD2+ DLP DMD i.e. latest 1280x720 can be sold in a RPTV for less than £2k but the projector market is laboured with the older HD2 chips with 480 or 576 for the same money often more!! They should be able to manufacture a sub £2k projector with the latest chip as it is surely no more expensive than the much larger RPTV.

I have recently purchased an HS50 and to be honest I feel LCD has come on tremendously with this particular model offering very cinematic images, high definition resolution and none of the drawbacks inherent to the colour wheel.

4. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Indeed, or how come, you can buy THREE single chip DLP projectors for less than the cost of ONE triple chip DLP projector.

Just think of all the componants in those 2 extra projectors against the cost of just 2 more DLP panels.

Some more electronics and all that mechanics taken away which much be the most costly parts to assemble.

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    I think the Sony HS50 on its own will massively shake up the DLP market over the next 6 months.

I reckon the price of decent 1280 x 720 DLP units will start to plummet quicker than Plasma screens did last year.
    Last summer I predicted that a £2500 Panasonic 42" plasma could be had for under £1500 by Christmas... and it appears I was right.

For my next prediction..... Optoma H77 for under £2000 by August.

I think LCD has taken DLP by suprise, and a very very agressive price war will begin very very soon.

6. stauDLP

stauDLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which price would you effort to prefer a DLP chip 1280x720 instead of a 1280x720 LCD??

Unfortunately I haven't seen yet the sony in action.
    I have in mind the Panasonic AE700 and Sharp XVZ200.
    I would propably choose the sharp if the DLP chip used should be 1280x720.
    Altough its images are stunning, the matterhorn chip leaves me not completely satisfied.
    It smells like buying something already passed by.

Which price would you effort to prefer a DLP chip 1280x720 instead of a 1280x720 LCD??

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    I believe the HS50's contrast has reached a point where it is no longer an issue, however single chip DLP's rainbow effect (head aches for me) is still an issue, so I'd still go for LCD.

For this reason, I think single chip DLP prices will nose dive very sharply, and the first affordable 3 chip DLP's will emerge by the Summer. Then, that'll be a different game altogether!

All just my opinion of course. :) None of this may happen!

8. stauDLP

stauDLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules, so if you're saying that contrast is far superior in LCD HS50, why should you buy a 3 chip DLP?

Isn't the screendor invisible in HS50? Is it for other reasons? Colours...
    Please let me know :lease:

9. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I disagree. If you are buying a budget projector then I think your expectations are too high. You can get a perfectly decent picture at that resolution as long as you don't make it too big and/or sit too close.

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    StauDLP,

The contrast on the HS50 isn't superior to a good DLP, but it has reached a point where the image doesn't lack contrast, and blacks genuinely look black.... it really is very good and delivers 90% of the peformance of a good DLP but without the dreaded rainbows.

However, I'd rather have a good 3 chip DLP when they are affordable, as that would erradicate the dreaded rainbow effect yet retain the undeniable 'edge' a good DLP has in producing a filmic image.

If affordable DLP didn't suffer rainbows, it would have seen off LCD a long time ago. Instead, DLP has been caught sleeping by the recent developments in LCD projectors.
    At the moment I'd have an HS50 over pretty much anything on the market this side of £10,000. But I'm convinced next year things will be different.

11. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Infocus 7205 looks good for 3.5k (5 when released!). Looks like a difficult time to buy. May be wise to wait for further possible price reductions. I really want a 7205 :smoke:

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    as will the next, and the next...

...PJ :)

13. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    IMHO :) I do belive that DVD at the moment has virtually the same amount of pixels as low-res DLP projectors.
    The Infocus 4805 a snip at £1,300 really is excellent value as an entry level DLP projector.

14. stauDLP

stauDLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I answer to you, but I try to involve all the others that so kindly answered my questions.
    I don' t mean 854x480 PJs aren' t good. What I try to say is that those projectors are made for the american NTSC market, not for european PAL.
    When we passed from the (240?) vhs lines to the 576 DVD lines we made a quantum leap.
    Now, I don't want to loose 100 lines only because producers consider only the NTSC market. :nono:
    They are telling us HD telivision with 720p is far better the 576 dvd.
    So, please give us at least 576p, I don't want downscale.
    I have a 800x600 43 DLP PJ.
    Using it in 16/9 (800x450) I really miss those 100 lines downscaled.

Maybe I' m expecting too much from my budget: let's say 2000£, but as my previous PJ became old in one year, now if I could find at least 1280x720 I would be quite sure to have done the right thing. :smashin:

15. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    In a month's time you'll have the Toshiba MT200 and BenQ PE7700 which will fit your budget.