Mark Grant component versus QED QCV1

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jimk04, Aug 20, 2006.

1. jimk04

jimk04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    With respect to Mark and users of his products, i was wandering if anyone has experience of comparing these two component cables, ( i was thinking of the Mark Grant 7110 component versus QED's QCV1).

I can read reviews on the QED in the magazines and it seems to be the best for the money. I havent seen any subjective reviews of MArks cable in comparison to the likes of the QED. Again with respect, QED is a big name, but i have only heard of Mark Grant from these pages on the forum.

Should i be confident in the Grant cable being superior?

Thanks
    james

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    QED is all about marketing and making new flashy cable casing and making up new flashy claims. Mark grant is about making a cable for performance only using the very best coax for the price and let me tell u I know mark grants markup isnt massive because he uses commercial belden coax, qed i would imagine have a huge markup to cover advertising and marketing etc.

I have no experiance of either but know the market.

3. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    as i have said in other posts,i ditched my flashy named/priced interconnects for marks stuff.
    i dont have a component>component but do have a component>vga and it is awesome and when i switch between hdmi/dvi and component/vga i cant see any significant difference.
    i know who gets my vote/cash:thumbsup:

4. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i've been buying marks stuff for quite some time now.
    for the money its unbeatable.
    for performance it matches and out performs many ixos and qed products.

if i remember rightly, mark has/ will some some newer high performance cables any time now, he was mentioning them to me a short while ago.

hes never let me down !

5. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have a couple of Mark's cables.

They do a good job and they really do arrive as quickly as he says they will. But they're not very well made - the sleeves keep slipping down on the connector and they don't appear very convincing. My QED subwoofer cable is also much better in performance than Mark's, much to my surprise.

I take issue with QED being deemed as flashy or just aesthetic accessories. At least they develop their own cable and ideas, and list all the measurement differences. Top products and top value. Better than the "Blue Jeans says its a good choice for cable so let's cash in" approach... :devil: (Joke, guys, joke...)

6. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    dingwall,
    i've never the situation that you've had.
    as far as me marks cable are made very well.

7. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    how often do you play with the cables that you can say "the sleeves keep slipping down"?
    the cables are of a very good build in my opinion and dont you think companies like ixos or QED using ceramic plugs is a flashy con job to convince you to part with more money?

8. jimk04

jimk04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for all your replies, an interesting thread methinks!

9. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Mark Grant’s cables win every time. No question.

I have lots of them: they are well made, use professional materials and are not expensive. Yes, there can be uses for certain cables if one is looking to tweak their system. However, the real aim of a cable is to get a signal from A to B without any degradation or changes of any kind. Mark’s cables do that, and I never have any cause for concern with them.

You ask anyone person working in a decent studio or any other such professional environment in the world – for example, broadcasting. They won’t be using QED et al – they will be using Van damme, Canare or Belden cables. I use QED for my SCART leads, but that is it.

I am not paid to advertise Mark’s products; nor do I have some form of blind loyalty. I buy his cables because they are good, and it stops me worrying about whether other makes are doing the job. Cables should not be such an issue, but I know they are because some cables can make a difference.

Anyway, I am not ranting. :) We can buy whatever we like because different cables may make a difference in some situations, but I can never say for sure! All I know is that Mark’s are tough and do the job, so I can get on with the task of watching and listening. :)

Regards,

Carl :)

10. jimk04

jimk04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I suppose this whole thread and lots of others can be classed as subjective as some people like a different sound to others. some may prefer a forward and bright sound whereas others may like a more subtle sounding cable.

But i guess with picture quality as opposed to sound, there is only one 'correct' cable, and like you say Carl, that is the one which doesnt add a signature of its own to the signal, and just transmits the signal purely.

I'll be ordering from MG soon!

Does anyone know when the belden 7110 cables back in stock, or these newer higher spec ones?