Standard Member
Anyone any comment on Mark Grant Cable
CD to Amp connection
I hear good things fot reasonable price
If not, what else wortha look
Arcam Cd82, A85 Amp, Chord rumour 2 and Mission 740's

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
He does cables of the highest quality, imo, simple as.

Whether you need that quality, is imo, debatable, but you won't find better for the money :smashin:

Jesoire

So the answer is yes then.

Can i take it a bit further and ask whether there is any milage in replacing my mark grant digital cable with an even 'better' cable?
I'm about to connect an arcam dv79 to a yamaha a1 ?

ta

J

RohanM

Can i take it a bit further and ask whether there is any milage in replacing my mark grant digital cable with an even 'better' cable?

ta

J

law of diminishing returns... in my experience - as that's all I can really comment on - but feel free to search these forums, Mark Grant cables are pretty damned good, and you will need everything else to be absolutely top notch (incl. equipment racks, etc) - and thus potentially spend Really Silly Money on New Cables to notice any substantial difference/improvements... Again, just my opinion.

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Another thumbs up from me for Mark Grant cables. Very good build quality and IMO good value for money. I have two HDMI cables, a sub cable and an optical cable from him, all very nicely put together.

white91

Have a HDMI and is very wel put together, although thee shouldnt be a difference on a digital signal, its reassuring.

Thinking about some stereo interconnect now.

Jamie

Distinguished Member

I can't see any mileage in replacing your digital cable. I tried replacing my decent digi co-ax with a length of freebie composite video cable (with the yellow connecters) becasue my existing cable was too stiff to bend the way it needed to. Couldn't honestly tell the difference.

What may be worth while is a decent stereo pair in addition for using the Arcam for CD playback. This would allow you to use the Arcam DACS for stereo rather than the yamaha DACS. As to which would be better who can say theres probably not much in it but connecting via Analogue would allow you to use pure direct and switch off all digital processing in the amp

Peterkinxl5

Anyone any comment on Mark Grant Cable
CD to Amp connection
I hear good things fot reasonable price
If not, what else wortha look
Arcam Cd82, A85 Amp, Chord rumour 2 and Mission 740's

I've never tried any but their premium Interconnect has just been reviewed by "What HiFi?"

Sadly it has received a right kicking scoring just two stars out of five.

As I've maintained to howls of anguish from some other members,IMHO with Interconnects you get what you pay for.

This also goes for HDMI leads.

Though if you don't want to believe "What HiFi?" then order on a trial basis (Mail Order has a legal minimum of 7 days under Distance Selling Regulations provided it is in "as new" condition) and then decide.

It may offer just the sound you want...;)

As for an alternative if you are using Rumour 2 then check out a Chord Chorus 2, Chameleon or a Cobra.

Another superb alternative but 2-3 times the price is the QED Signature Audio S.

Last edited:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I've never tried any but their premium Interconnect has just been reviewed by "What HiFi?"

You're kidding?
You can't get any higher spec than the stuff he uses :confused:

Any link?

As I've maintained to howls of anguish from some other members,IMHO with Interconnects you get what you pay for.

This also goes for HDMI leads.

Hmm :rolleyes:

Peterkinxl5

You're kidding?
You can't get any higher spec than the stuff he uses :confused:

Any link?

Sadly "What HiFi?" haven't posted it on their webpage yet.

But I can promise you it is in their latest edition-I wouldn't dream of incorrectly posting on a product like that.

I don't always agree with "What HiFi?" but their influence spreads far and wide and a two star review can do some major damage.

Ultimatly the spec is secondary. It is how it sounds that matters.

And at least potential purchasers can try before they buy....

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Sadly "What HiFi?" haven't posted it on their webpage yet.

But I can promise you it is in their latest edition-I wouldn't dream of incorrectly posting on a product like that.

I don't always agree with "What HiFi?" but their influence spreads far and wide and a two star review can do some major damage.

Ultimatly the spec is secondary. It is how it sounds that matters.

And at least potential purchasers can try before they buy....

No, I don't for one minute think you'd incorrectly post.

I'm no big believer in cables, as you might have guessed :)

But WHF are doing themselves a major disservice of late, imo.

They quite often go against the grain of what is perceived on these forums to be good.

I don't know if you've seen the opinions of forumites when talking about the BK Monolith subwoofer for instance.
The thread is now on part 3, I think (each part being a 1000 replies) with I'd estimate at least 95% very positive reviews.
WHF rated it as 4 *, whilst rating inferior, but more expensive MJ subs (made by the same company but sold retail) as 5*.

Of course BK don't advertise via WHF.
Whereas MJ do.

But then, I'm a cynic :)

Price is the only consideration and the higher the better.

I really must remember that ;)

Fortunately WHF's opinions are imo slowly being seen through.

And yes, you're right you can always try MarkGrant's stuff and you wouldn't even need the distance selling regs, because if you weren't happy he wouldn't think twice about a return, but now WHF has slaughtered it, who's going to buy?

Fortunately he has a very good reputation on here.

I wonder if you've actually tried his cables?

Peterkinxl5

No, I don't for one minute think you'd incorrectly post.

I'm no big believer in cables, as you might have guessed :)

But WHF are doing themselves a major disservice of late, imo.

They quite often go against the grain of what is perceived on these forums to be good.

I don't know if you've seen the opinions of forumites when talking about the BK Monolith subwoofer for instance.
The thread is now on part 3, I think (each part being a 1000 replies) with I'd estimate at least 95% very positive reviews.
WHF rated it as 4 *, whilst rating inferior, but more expensive MJ subs (made by the same company but sold retail) as 5*.

Of course BK don't advertise via WHF.
Whereas MJ do.

But then, I'm a cynic :)

Price is the only consideration and the higher the better.

I really must remember that ;)

Fortunately WHF's opinions are imo slowly being seen through.

And yes, you're right you can always try MarkGrant's stuff and you wouldn't even need the distance selling regs, because if you weren't happy he wouldn't think twice about a return, but now WHF has slaughtered it, who's going to buy?

Fortunately he has a very good reputation on here.

I wonder if you've actually tried his cables?

If you'd read the beginning part of my first post it clearly stated "I've never tried any..."

I'm not going to knock Mark Grant Cables until I've tried them.

If you don't think there are any differences in Interconnects in proportion to money spent then fine....

Regarding your other remarks though.

Mark Grant doesn't advertise in "What HiFi?" and gets a kicking.

He does advertise on AVForums and gets loads of excellent "User Reviews".

As for "What HiFi" being seen through.

I'm employed at the sharp end ie in the HiFi trade and whatever the rights or wrongs "What HiFi?" reviews makes or breaks sales. Customers have had auditions of systems and despite their preference for Brand A have purchased Brand B on the basis of a "What HiFi ?" review. I do realise that "What HiFi?" themselves actually advise against such decisions.

This scenario isn't happening with AVForums reviews for whatever reason.

I would be sad if a good product floundered due to an unfair review but IMHO I'm afraid there is potential for bias you suggest whether in "What HiFi?" AVForums or any other format which gains revenue via advertising.;)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Yes, you're correct, there will be bias in any area.

But at least on here you do tend to get numerous opinions, as opposed to just one in a WHF review.

I don't know, I used to read WHF a lot years ago, but find them tedious and frankly unbelievable in some areas these days.
Their constant waffle about HDMI cables particularly annoys me.

In fairness they did give a £5 cable a 5* rating.

But of course if you see a difference in HDMI cables, that's fair enough, it's your money :smashin:

Darkstar_surfer

Me thinks you have missed a very subtle but very important difference between WHF and AVForums. WHF relies on reviewers that are paid by advertisement money. where as AVForums relies on reviews from you and me because we love to talk about our experience in AV and since I have never seen a penny for what I write I think that makes AVForums a little more unbiased. That is unless someone knows different.

chienmetallique

Me thinks you have missed a very subtle but very important difference between WHF and AVForums. WHF relies on reviewers that are paid by advertisement money. where as AVForums relies on reviews from you and me because we love to talk about our experience in AV and since I have never seen a penny for what I write I think that makes AVForums a little more unbiased. That is unless someone knows different.

Hear Hear.

Here's a thumbs up for Mark Grant, not just the 15M HDMI cable (reassuring snug fit contacts) But his advice regarding installation around 90 degree bends and confidence I would achieve 1080p/24fps.

:smashin:

Yaka

only time ever in my life i tried a load of different cables was for the component connection on my panny ph8, everything i tried from cheapo to expensive stuff id always get chicken wire effect from my cable box, even had virgin switch boxes a few times till i got mark grants component cable, big thick chunky goodness of a component cable cheaper than other makes i tried perfect almost 3 years later and i could use it as a rope. anyways having recently had move round and now needing longer cables for other stuff ive just placed order for more off him. worth it for build quality alone

Peterkinxl5

What's to say that some of the "Members" don't work for the manufacturers concerned?

If "What HiFi ?" can be biased in their reviews then it wouldn't take too much effort by whoever advertising on AVForums to get a few "Members" together with some glowing "user reviews" on a particular product?

I'm not saying that is actually happening, just that the potential exists here every bit as much as it does elsewhere;);)

Peterkinxl5

Yes, you're correct, there will be bias in any area.

But at least on here you do tend to get numerous opinions, as opposed to just one in a WHF review.

I don't know, I used to read WHF a lot years ago, but find them tedious and frankly unbelievable in some areas these days.
Their constant waffle about HDMI cables particularly annoys me.

In fairness they did give a £5 cable a 5* rating.

But of course if you see a difference in HDMI cables, that's fair enough, it's your money :smashin:

All HDMI leads are the same.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I was present earlier today when a QED HDMI-Performance lead was dissected.

If all HDMI's are the same can you explain why mfrs like QED bother with Foil Sheathing, Heavy Duty Insulation and Precision fit HDMI plugs when cheapo makes don't bother?

Maybe I was confusing it with a Chord Mains Conditioning cable....

Same colour, same Aluminium foil sheath....:smashin:

Vipers

Thumbs up here also for Marks cables :thumbsup:

I use 2 x his 15m HDMI around my room to the projector and have got my A1UD analogues hooked up with his G1000HD cable + my cd player and the AV888 to the P777 uses the G1000HD's also, all sounds and looks pretty good to me :)

They are of a very high construction and it also helps that he's a top bloke to deal with, be worth trying as I'm sure he would offer a return if you were not happy for any reason.

Ian J

Banned
What's to say that some of the "Members" don't work for the manufacturers concerned?

If "What HiFi ?" can be biased in their reviews then it wouldn't take too much effort by whoever advertising on AVForums to get a few "Members" together with some glowing "user reviews" on a particular product?

I'm not saying that is actually happening, just that the potential exists here every bit as much as it does elsewhere;);)

The mods are always on the lookout for such skullduggery.

Mark's cables are excellent quality and I have just bought some more for my living room refit and before anyone mentions it I asked for and got no special favours and paid full retail price.

I do wonder though at your motives at resurrecting this thread after three or four months as it must have taken quite a bit of searching out

Ian J

Banned

This isn't the first product that has featured heavily in AV Forums that has received poor reviews at the hands of What Hifi and I often wonder if it's done deliberately to keep Stuart in his place.

The original Gallo Nuclear Micro speakers were very popular here but got the old two star treatment at the hands of WHF and the SVS PB-10 was a load of old rubbish according to them but as I had one myself for a year I can confirm that it was anything but.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Can anyone let me know what, if any comments were made about the picture and/or sound quality when using Mark Grant's HDMI cables? I assume it *was* an HDMI being tested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts