Mark and Lard

T

thamesider

Bad News

Mark and Lard have been given the boot from Radio 1.

They were/are the best Dj's on the station IMO.
Always trying to sneak in some rock music, and dissing anything they didn't like.
Unlike other Dj's, who just play the normal drivel without comment.

I know what you mean, the best thing on Radio 1 by a mile.

Very funny, don't think they will find anyone as funny to replace those two.

stop

carry on

Greg

:( I agree.

Sense of humour, different taste in music to generic dj types, they didn't fit into that awful style which when it first emerged was christened "zoo radio" - a gang of non-entities employed as producer, studio staff, newsreader etc. who all get involved in inane banter with the main dj.

Long live Marc and Lard. Shire Horses rule!

I believe that moron Evans started it with his gang of arris lickers.

'Hey guys, I was so drunk last night'

'Yeah Chris, whoaa, you're a real party animal'

'Yes I am aren't I, I'm really good'

'Yes Chris you are really good and not a complete tw@t or anything'

Anyway, that silly girl in the morning and that fat git in the afternoon are simply unbearable.

Got to the stage where I was forced to cough up £300 for a DAB radio for the motor. Planet Rock is a welcome change although they do occasionally play Phil Collins, which of course, is entirely gay.

I can't believe they've been axed!!!!! Jesus christ those boys know their music, great sence of humour. Get a petition going!!

Originally posted by Stereo Steve
Anyway, that silly girl in the morning and that fat git in the afternoon are simply unbearable.

Radio1 have shaken things up - it's now a fat git in the morning and a silly girl in the afternoon...

They are still unbearable.

"oooh chappers drone drone drawl......"

"oh I am from leeds, oh here's comedy dave drone drone"

They were easily the best thing on daytime radio 1.

Thank god for Xfm

Not all doom and gloom guys there only moving to Radio 2 - just re-tune !!! Although I don't know if Lards going as well. ???

nowt wrong with comedy dave, just shoot chris "brit award" moyles

Just read the statement on the radio1 website.
It says Mark will be joining Radio 2 later in the year, and Lard will be joining 6 music in April.

Tipical that they've been dumped whilst on their hols.

I think that they've dropping a few hints lately, that they were on their way out.

Nothing After 2.........will be changed to nothing after 1 permanately:(

Radio 1 message board is full of dissapointed people.

damn, it is now a permanent change to radio 2, if only I could get radio 6 on analog :(

Let me explain irony in the most simple way: Comedy Dave!

Lard should be good on 6music, but it's a shame that the station isn't yet big enough to draw Mark Radcliffe in as well. Lard should get the freedom to play music that he's passionate about, rather than being bound by Radio 1's playlists.

6music is, without doubt, my favourite radio station. I no longer listen to the radio in the car, except for Saturday mornings (quite like Jonathan Ross' show).

I can't believe Radio 1 have given them the boot, not only were thay the best DJ's on the station but they were also HUGE oasis fans:D :D :laugh:

Oasis fans!!!! so thats why the've been axed

I'm even more shocked at them being oasis fans then i am of them going.

gutted there going

a big bigigdy biggidy bong

there choice of music was much better than there choice of football team;) ;) ;)

Well I'd just like to add I'm glad they are going as mostly I thought they were poor. I much prefer Colin and Edith. Hopefully they will now not be on Sat morning and I can listen to Jonathon Ross on R2 knowing I amn't missing them on R1.

Gordon

Colin and Edith are cool, can't fault em. I've been meaning to catch rosses show. What time and what days is he on?

Used to love Mark & Lard on the 10 'til midnight slot on Radio 1 quite a few years back. The eclectic choice of music was unlike anything else on radio at the time - or since - where you could here the likes of The Byrds, The Icicle Works, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Dr John, Creedence Clearwater Revival, R.E.M., James Brown, New Order, The Charlatans, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, etc + many new indie/rock bands all within 2 hours. Their comedy shtick was fresher and funnier then - and a little more 'out there' - and they also covered other areas such as cinema, with regular reviews by Mark Kermode & Kim Newman. Great stuff!

Where is that kind of programming now? We really need it in this evermore bland and sanitised media world of ours.

When they were 'promoted' to the breakfast show, I knew they were doomed. I listened when I got the chance and even though the show was often hilarious, it was also a little shambolic. Fine by me - had much more character and genuine laughs than the likes of Sara Cox (or now Moyles) could wish for in a lifetime - but it was obvious their brand of humour didn't have the mass appeal that Radio 1 bosses were looking for.

I listened on and off to their afternoon show and while it was pretty entertaining for the first couple of years - their humour got away with quite a bit in that time slot - it was obvious that they hated most of the music they were forced to play off the R1 playlist! Worse still, I hated most of the music they were forced to play!! So much so that I've only listened on the odd occasion over the past few years and when I did they seemed to be in a bit of a rut.

So I can't say I'm surprised that they have moved on to Radio 2 & 6. Hopefully this will give them both the chance to get back to the kind of broadcasting they used to do. It's unfortunate that they have gone their separate ways after so long, though, as they really did have a on-air chemistry that truly worked.

I wish them well.

Originally posted by CrazyHorse
Used to love Mark & Lard on the 10 'til midnight slot on Radio 1 quite a few years back. The eclectic choice of music was unlike anything else on radio at the time - or since - where you could here the likes of The Byrds, The Icicle Works, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Dr John, Creedence Clearwater Revival, R.E.M., James Brown, New Order, The Charlatans, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, etc + many new indie/rock bands all within 2 hours. Their comedy shtick was fresher and funnier then - and a little more 'out there' - and they also covered other areas such as cinema, with regular reviews by Mark Kermode & Kim Newman. Great stuff!

As far as I'm concerned, that late night show was the finest radio programme I have ever listened to. 4 nights a week, it became unmissable and introduced me to a lot of great music both old and new.

I'm hoping the move to Radio 2 means we get to hear Mark Radcliffe back in his element. Bring it on, it's good news as far as I'm concerned.

Now there is nothing left on Radio 1 worth listening to. How people can rate that unfunny fat gobsh!te on the breakfast show is beyond me. Mark & Lard, as others have said here would play some decent music and were original and funny.
Does anyone remember years ago when Alan Ball was manager at City, they used to do a mickey take of him ? It would end up in a high-pitched squeal which would eventually go beyond the range of human hearing - classic.

Hooray! Mark and Lard are pants! Good riddance.

".......and can we have a jippidy, jappady, wiggela-woggala, bing bong for all the plumbers in Basingstoke!"

National radio? - come on.........:rolleyes:

Listening today for their reaction.

"We wanted to be sacked!!"

No last show date given, but plenty of hints.

IE :- "Only 20 chances left to be on mystery man"

Yeah the evening show they did was toptastic, 2 hours of great music and **** your pants funny as well, they're radio five stuff was also very good.

Bit of a bugger they're being split up!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom