Mark’s garage conversion thread

I am about to embark on the same project as you have done @markie g and am about to start work on the drawing for the building warrant application. Can I be really cheeky and ask if you would share your drawing with me so I can crib from it? I don't want to have to pay an architect to produce a drawing for me. I am an autoCAD user so creating the drawing isn't a problem, I just want to see what sort of detail to put on it.

I am about to embark on the same project as you have done @markie g and am about to start work on the drawing for the building warrant application. Can I be really cheeky and ask if you would share your drawing with me so I can crib from it? I don't want to have to pay an architect to produce a drawing for me. I am an autoCAD user so creating the drawing isn't a problem, I just want to see what sort of detail to put on it.
I didn't have to provide any sort of drawings, as it's a simple case of bricking up the garage door and adding a window.

Have you/are you applying for full planning permission? I simply applied for a building control notice to change the garage into a room.

Ah - I definitely don’t need planning permission, it’s only building control I need. I just assumed they would need a drawing with with insulation details and things. I’ll give them a call and see what they need. Thanks.

Ah - I definitely don’t need planning permission, it’s only building control I need. I just assumed they would need a drawing with with insulation details and things. I’ll give them a call and see what they need. Thanks.
No nothing like that from my experience.

They'll simply come out at certain stages, so if its like ours they will just chat to you about things and what they require i.e. seeing insulation if it exists, or advise what you need to add.

If i had any advice at all, photograph everything. Even if you think 'that'll be ok' -photograph it!

The reason i say this is the final guy that came out wanted pictures (even though someone had inspected it) - luckily i took pictures for this thread, so had a fair few.. so photograph things such as dramp proof course, foundations, insulation in the walls or roof etc - photograph it.

Good luck!

Going thru my garage conversion too. Surprised that the inspector thst came the second time had a different opinion to the first one.

I’ve taken pics and for the initial application I had to provide details of the property and a coal report.

Both can be purchased from a website they link into from the LBAC app.

hth 👍

Whilst I have zero plans to do this.
Though it would be a potential nice VR Room in years to come.

A garage that's not build it.
Let's say I got some lightweight blocks, and filled in the entrance to the garage, mounted the garage door onto the blockwork, like a fake door. and just cleaned, painted a bit the inside.

Would you need planning permission for doing that?

Let's say I got some lightweight blocks, and filled in the entrance to the garage, mounted the garage door onto the blockwork, like a fake door. and just cleaned, painted a bit the inside.

I don't think so. But if you sell you can't call it a 'room'. I've seen several listed on property websites with garage doors intact but they are always labelled as 'storage'.

If you had permitted development rights, doubt you would need planning approval, but you probably would need building regs approval.

I phoned my local authority yesterday to get some advice and just got an answerphone message saying they are busy due to Covid-19 and they are only responding to emails. I then sent them an email and got an automatic response saying they are busy with Covid-19 and there will be a delay in responding. I really think a lot of people are using Covid as an excuse these days.

My house is only 3 years old and the garage walls are insulated and plaster boarded as the rest of the house and I already have a door through to the house. I only need to include the front wall and flooring details. I think I will just put a drawing together showing the materials I will use and submit an application and see how I get on.

If you have a read of my thread, re the conversion of my garage, see the issues I’ve had. Not withstanding your in Scotland, so things might be different.

Ive had lots of problems making contact with various companies, not just LBC’s.

If you had permitted development rights, doubt you would need planning approval, but you probably would need building regs approval.

Oh, well if I was going to do it.
Not that I am!
But if I was, I'd not be thinking about any plans or rights.
Just buy blocks and cement. Take off garage door, brick/block up the opening, mount door on the blockwork, and not a great deal else.
Pretty easy to un-do.

I have done something similar but didn't take the door off. I just built a stud wall behind the garage door, filled the gap with rockwool for insulation, boarded the stud wall and painted it. I now project Zwift onto it for my turbo trainer. :)
I have no plans to move though, so this is just purely because the garage was forking freezing and you could feel the breeze on the inside!

My plans changed slightly and I have now accepted a quote for a building firm to do the conversion from me. They have already drawn up the plans and should be submitting the building warrant application today.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom