• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mariokart snakers

gingerone

Prominent Member
Why is it that the people who snake on mariokart tend to be such sore losers?

Last night I played about 5 different people 3 of which were snakers, whenever we got onto a course like Delfino square and I started beating them they disconnected, unless they could use courses like figure of 8 they did'nt want to know!

I find this really frustrating , anyone else noticed this happening?

p.s. how do you snake?

D

Deleted member 65413

Ive noticed it alot, its the same as alot of people do on Ridge Racer 6 on LIVE. If you notice them doing then just quit.

fizzgog

Prominent Member
can someone explain what snaking is?
thanx
pete

fizzgog

Prominent Member
thanx for the link. very enlightening

whilst i do not condone quitting or sore losers, i do not however think that snaking can be called cheating - its just a way to go faster. are shortcuts cheating??
just my opinion
pete

gingerone

Prominent Member
I'm not saying it's cheating and it can add more of a challenge if you come up against a snaker but they tend to be sore losers and if you do start beating them they tend to quit.

They also tend not to pick tracks that are more challenging just the straighter tracks.

Annoys the hell out of me, I don't see they did'nt make the online service 150cc instead of 100cc as this would have been more of a challenge and would have stopped the snaking.

D

Deleted member 65413

But it takes away from their own enjoyment of the game, surely. Anyway, i dont and wont do it, power slides are for corners only.

CEEJAYBEE82

Prominent Member
I bloody hate them snakers!!! :mad:

You can always tell who the snakers are by when it comes up on the players screen the other challengers they have a record of something like won 2156, lost 126.

they should all be banned :mad: :mad: :mad:

spocktra

Established Member
Annoys the hell out of me as well.I mean ,who in their right mind want to race on figure eight track online.I could snake if i wished but its unfair and childish.

Solar

Prominent Member
gingerone said:
Last night I played about 5 different people 3 of which were snakers, whenever we got onto a course like Delfino square and I started beating them they disconnected, unless they could use courses like figure of 8 they did'nt want to know!
haha i know just what you mean.
Every time i play MK online ill chose Delfino as the first map, the snakers will try and try but they cant win on this one so most of the time they quit. An easy way of sorting them out :thumbsup:

gingerone

Prominent Member
Solar said:
haha i know just what you mean.
Every time i play MK online ill chose Delfino as the first map, the snakers will try and try but they cant win on this one so most of the time they quit. An easy way of sorting them out :thumbsup:

I always go for delfino square, it's sorts the racers from the snakers straight away.

I would love them to try it on rainbow road on 150cc mirror, hee hee.

Thankfully snaking does'nt work on 150 cc, it's a shame they did'nt make the online play 150 cc instead of 100cc.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
gingerone said:
Thankfully snaking does'nt work on 150 cc, it's a shame they did'nt make the online play 150 cc instead of 100cc.
Can you explain that please. As far as I can see it works on any class.

Snaking is a skill that people use - Nintendo did not remove it because it is part of the skill of the game and the fan sites that have been competing with replays and ghosts and keeping the MK world alive for years thrive on it.

I can't compete with the snakers, I can play ok and pulll of 2 turbo boosts in most wide corners and one in almost every corner, but to snake straights is really difficult and I can't pull it off without hitting the edges.

Slagging them off is like saying you hate people that aim, rather than spam, in FPSs. This is working as intended.

RoNaLdiNhO

Established Member
Cheats pure and simple nintendo should start banning these people. My kid brother bought a ds lite the other week and he tryed to play online hes pretty could but the cheating snakers dont give him a chance he has not played online again. < sad story really.

The Fuggler

Prominent Member
It's odd - the online races I've been involved in have been such carnage that snaking wasn't that effective. :)

silvercue

Distinguished Member
RoNaLdiNhO said:
Cheats pure and simple nintendo should start banning these people. My kid brother bought a ds lite the other week and he tryed to play online hes pretty could but the cheating snakers dont give him a chance he has not played online again. < sad story really.
Are you having a laugh? I take it that you are kidding.

Snaking is not cheating, it is using a tricky skill that is totally legal, and enabled within the codeing, to get a boost. It is working as intended. In fact the Game developers left this in as they use it themselves. You can see replays and ghosts of the developers using this technique for fast laps on the older versions of the MK.
I can't beat snakers - simple as that, because they are better at MK than me, not because they cheat.

spocktra

Established Member
silvercue said:
Are you having a laugh? I take it that you are kidding.

Snaking is not cheating, it is using a tricky skill that is totally legal, and enabled within the codeing, to get a boost. It is working as intended. In fact the Game developers left this in as they use it themselves. You can see replays and ghosts of the developers using this technique for fast laps on the older versions of the MK.
I can't beat snakers - simple as that, because they are better at MK than me, not because they cheat.
Boosting was only intended to be used on corners.If,like you say they are better than everyone else, why do you think they choose easy tracks to do their thing?.I have done a 1.25sec on figure 8 but do not use boosing online or amongst friends because it would gain an unfair advantage.Mario kart is only a bit of fun and the closer the races the better in my opinion.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
spocktra said:
Boosting was only intended to be used on corners.
Who told you that?

If boosting was only intended for corners - why did the devs not remove the ability to do it multiple times in quick succession on straights?

If boosting was intended only for corners - why do the devs ghosts do it all the time on the straights?

They made the game, they left this well known feature in, and they do it themselves.

I would suggest that that means that the "boost" is meant to be done anywhere you can pull it off. Don't forget "snaking" is very difficult.

kez

Distinguished Member
i don't think snaking is cheating.

i just can't do it very well. fair play to those who can.

Andy_83

Established Member
silvercue said:
Who told you that?

If boosting was only intended for corners - why did the devs not remove the ability to do it multiple times in quick succession on straights?

If boosting was intended only for corners - why do the devs ghosts do it all the time on the straights?

They made the game, they left this well known feature in, and they do it themselves.

I would suggest that that means that the "boost" is meant to be done anywhere you can pull it off. Don't forget "snaking" is very difficult.

Its clear the intended use of the boost feature is on corners.
Thanks how its shown in manual and the staff ghosts dont snake at all on the straights. I dont know if they did in others but in this one they dont - if it was intended then why would be doing it. I've never seen Nintendo mention that snaking is how the game should be played.
Using it down the straights is just exploiting the feature.

I've had races where one person has snaked when nobody else has and they just couldnt be caught no matter what items they were hit with.
The weapons and items are meant to even the races out & add a bit of tactical play to the game. They give the slower players a chance to get back into a race while making sure the leader doesn't just run away with it. However they are balanced well enough that the faster racer should still win mostly.
As i said though if someones snaking it renders the entire power-ups aspect of the game useless & im sure Nintendo didnt intend for that. Afterall MarioKart has always been a party game really, about having a bunch of friends playing together, having fun & a laugh when the leader is taken out on the line by a bunch of shells

If snakers want to race each other and time-trail then fine, but doing it when its clear nobody else in a race is going to is just not on and its usually done by the records obsessed idiots looking to add another cheap win to their stats & those who know they're unable to win in an even race.
As spocktra said they just pick the same track over and over & when they end up on a track where snaking doesnt mean a easy win they'll often lose.

Sure it takes skill to do it properply (like the vids of people doing in continuosly all the way round a track), but its still an exploit.

Maybe if the win/lose stats were removed there would be less snaking & quitters as it only seems to be done by those looking to boost their stats any way possible.

spocktra

Established Member
silvercue said:
Who told you that?

I dont think snaking is difficult it just takes practice.I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.:smashin:

silvercue

Distinguished Member
yes - we should all agree to disagree on this on. Like I said - I don't do it. This is why a better online matchmaking or lobby system would be so much better. I just hope Wii improves things.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom