Mario Tennis Aces

I’m pretty much sold on it as well. Got a load of cheap US eshop credit I can use, so will work out about £35 digital. Will also cash in some coins from physical games I have as well, so knock it down a bit more hopefully!

I should stock up on US credit when its on offer. Where do you get yours from, PCgamesupply?

Some more info on the game\modes...

Mario Tennis Aces received a lot of love from Nintendo and Camelot this week. The company shared details about the demo, uploaded new trailers, and also opened the Japanese website. That site is where a bunch of additional information is provided.

As far as the story goes in Adventure Mode, things begin during the day of a certain tennis tournament. Chaos quickly ensues due to the power of suspicious rackets wielded by Wario and Waluigi. When the uproar has calmed down, Luigi – who was there previously – is nowhere to be found. Wario and Waluigi also suddenly disappeared.

According to Toad, the rackets Wario and Waluigi held are said to have terrifying powers that can control people. If the racket’s mystery can be solved, there may have been a clue to find the missing Luigi.

Mario goes on a new adventure in order to rescue Luigi.

Numerous missions will block Mario’s progress. To clear them, sometimes you’ll need to complete certain requirements other than just simply winning battles, such as aiming for a specified place on the court or beating the enemy within the allotted time. Stages may also have different gimmicks; use them well to clear the stages. Some stages even have strong enemies that come with special attacks and cannot be hurt with ordinary attacks of your own.

By challenging missions and racking up experience, Mario’s stats will increase. Not only that, but clearing missions may also reward new rackets. Having all rackets broken during a mission will cause a Game Over, so it’s also important to collect many of them.

Missions have varied difficulties, from easy to advanced. You can keep challenging until you improve, so you can try progressing through things you’re not good at until you get satisfied.

Now on for the different modes:

Free Match (Singles / Doubles)

– The rules can be freely set. Has up to 4-player versus.
– Settings like CPU difficulty, court, and K.O. option can also be changed.

Local versus

– If you bring Switch with the game, you can have versus on a local connection with up to four players.
– You can choose between 1-vs-1 singles and 2-vs-2 doubles.

Online versus

– You can connect to the internet to fight rivals and friends alike.
– You can play for free until September 2018; after that, you will need to subscribe to the paid Nintendo Switch Online service.

Tournament (singles only)

– A mode where all players join a tournament and aim for the top.
– Toad will provide live commentary which will hype up the battles.

Tournament (online)

– Online tournaments, where you fight for ranks with worldwide players, will be held monthly.
– You can take on the tournament multiple times, and the rankings will be set based on the points earned.

Tournament (offline)

– Aim for conquering the top of all three tournaments available.
– Initially you’re only able to access one tournament, but you’ll be able to challenge more difficult tournaments by becoming the champion.

Swing Mode (Singles / Doubles)

– You can freely swing the Joy-Con to play with actually feeling the shots.
– Recommended when you just want to have fun with everyone.

One Point Advice: Try playing by changing the rules

– In Free Match and Swing Mode, you can enjoy tennis battles with more rules other than standard.
– You can choose a big tennis ball which will move more slowly and is also easier to be hit by the racket.
– You can also go with simple rules in Free Match, where matches don’t use energy and will fully rely on your tennis skills.

Finally, with a Switch, you can play Mario Tennis Aces:

– on the big screen (TV)
– by sharing Joy-Con (tabletop)
– thoroughly alone (handheld)

Mario Tennis Aces launches June 22.

Could be a fun one for the kids to play too.

For me buying this game is all about whether 2 player tabletop mode works well enough in terms of being able to see whats going on properly. I really hope it does. I have mariocart, a neo geo fighting game and snipperclips for two player tabletop but I find split screen mariocart a bit of a struggle on the small screen. Its a mode I'm really keen to expand r.e my game catalogue and this would be beyond perfect!

For me buying this game is all about whether 2 player tabletop mode works well enough in terms of being able to see whats going on properly. I really hope it does. I have mariocart, a neo geo fighting game and snipperclips for two player tabletop but I find split screen mariocart a bit of a struggle on the small screen. Its a mode I'm really keen to expand r.e my game catalogue and this would be beyond perfect!
This probably won’t need to be split screen so should be easier to follow.

Really can't wait for this. Id of loved a Mario strikers with the world cup starting soon although it's good to get the FIFA update :)

I really want Mario Golf as well. Really enjoyed the 3ds version.

Apologies if already known. But read on the news feed. The starting characters you can use for the demo will be:

Mario
Yoshi
Peach
Bowser

But you can unlock up to nine using points collected based on performance.

I expect the simple rules mode is only available for multiplayer, not the actual story/missions mode, right?

I was very interested in this because I believe my friends would like it—but not enough to actually pay full price. I might have to wait for a sale because I doubt we will get as much out of it as Mario Kart.

2 player tabletop is split screen. Might be a dealbreaker for me that.

2 player tabletop is split screen. Might be a dealbreaker for me that.

Hmm. I have started to struggle with Mario Kart table top split screen. Getting old sucks.

Can you play two player in the demo?

i've gone through the link on the news page and it says software currently available with an error code - anyone else getting this?

i've gone through the link on the news page and it says software currently available with an error code - anyone else getting this?

Do you have multiple accounts on your switch, if so which region are you trying to download from?

I grabbed the demo earlier this week and it’s fine.

i hav
Do you have multiple accounts on your switch, if so which region are you trying to download from?

I grabbed the demo earlier this week and it’s fine.

Thanks - have multiple accounts sets to UK - managed to bag it via website rather than Switch. Phew!

Hmm. I have started to struggle with Mario Kart table top split screen. Getting old sucks.
If you're old like me & are starting to need reading glasses, just get a cheap pair of extra reading glasses from Amazon (£2-£3) but add 0.5 - 0.75 on top of your existing prescription. It's amazing, you can get really close to the Switch screen and it's absolutely crystal clear.

Last edited:
Just been watching some of the demo on Youtube - looks really good! Looks to be 1 player vs. the computer then you do your online matches.

Can't wait to start playing later.

Completely forgot about this but can’t wait to give it a try later!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom